NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Steven Spielberg.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can see this one sweeping the Oscars next year. It is just ticking all the right boxes. This has been Spielberg's project and passion for about the last 10 years, the same as Schindler's List was for 15 years before he felt capable of making it. Liam Neeson was going to be Lincoln but pulled out when Natasha died 3 years ago. Day Lewis does about one film every 5 years and it always superb so it is going to be an epic I hope.

The only thing that some on here might not like and criticise about him is, be assured it will be very pro america I am sure but as it is an american tale and lincoln is america's most loved president it would be difficult not to be. We will see.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I can see this one sweeping the Oscars next year. It is just ticking all the right boxes. This has been Spielberg's project and passion for about the last 10 years, the same as Schindler's List was for 15 years before he felt capable of making it. Liam Neeson was going to be Lincoln but pulled out when Natasha died 3 years ago. Day Lewis does about one film every 5 years and it always superb so it is going to be an epic I hope.

The only thing that some on here might not like and criticise about him is, be assured it will be very pro america I am sure but as it is an american tale and lincoln is america's most loved president it would be difficult not to be. We will see.

I love these US Historical movies and TV shows, the mini-series 'John Adams' is a must watch if you have any interest in US politics

Having Spielberg involved in this project is the icing on the cake and should make it stand out, don't think we get to see it until January sadly but I will be there the first day for sure.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm sceptical. It's a great subject but looking at the trailer it looks like Spielberg is making films for Acadamy Awards again and I cannot stand that approach. But I'll prob watch it at some point mainly for the historical aspect, I may learn something.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm sceptical. It's a great subject but looking at the trailer it looks like Spielberg is making films for Acadamy Awards again and I cannot stand that approach. But I'll prob watch it at some point mainly for the historical aspect, I may learn something.

I don't think Spielberg has ever made a film just to please the academy. He was the devils spawn for the first 20 years of his career, routinely snubbed and ridiculed, the prime example being the 11 nominations for the Color Purple only to be told by the academy f*** off Spielberg you have got none of them. ET got just 4 oscars all for technical. The only film that did relatively well was Schindler's List and even then he was snubbed for all the acting oscars when, especially Fiennes was overlooked for Tommy Lee Jones in the fugative ffs, the greatest ever oscar travesty and then snubbed for best director for Saving Private Ryan when they gave it to Shakespeare in Love's director.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well, we'll see.Spielberg doing the worthy thing, although producing some good results, is a fine line, Can't comment from 4 mins of footage so time will tell. When he gets it right though it's a joy. We must never forget he gave us Indiana Jones.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough mate but as I said Spielberg generally has had the piss taken out of him from the Academy, close encounters of the third kind 1 oscar ?!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spielberg also has very low budgets by today's standards. I don't think he can ever be accused of throwing money at the screen for the sake of it. Lincoln has a very modest budget of $ 50 000 000 of which $ 10 000 00 would have gone to Day Lewis, at least I would have thought.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Spielberg has made some extraordinary films and has been rewarded by the film industry accordingly. His recent output of films has been peppered with mawkish sentimentality which cheapens the subject matter but there's been some good moments here and there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spielberg has made some extraordinary films and has been rewarded by the film industry accordingly. His recent output of films has been peppered with mawkish sentimentality which cheapens the subject matter but there's been some good moments here and there.

Excellent summary, for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think Spielberg has ever made a film just to please the academy. He was the devils spawn for the first 20 years of his career, routinely snubbed and ridiculed, the prime example being the 11 nominations for the Color Purple only to be told by the academy f*** off Spielberg you have got none of them. ET got just 4 oscars all for technical. The only film that did relatively well was Schindler's List and even then he was snubbed for all the acting oscars when, especially Fiennes was overlooked for Tommy Lee Jones in the fugative ffs, the greatest ever oscar travesty and then snubbed for best director for Saving Private Ryan when they gave it to Shakespeare in Love's director.

(US, please pretend this post is from somebody else, so you can answer it objectively)

I'm confused by this post - can you please clarify a couple of things for me:

Does having a film nominated for ELEVEN oscars, constitute it being 'snubbed' (even if it ultimately wins none)?

You state that ET 'only' won technical ones and that he missed out on various actor ones? Surely in his role of director he should be personally proud of the technical awards? The Best Actor ones are very much what they say on the tim, are they not? - An award specifically for the actor himself?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
as long as he's not on the saccharine I expect Spielberg to deliver big time with this one particularly as DDL just doesn't do duff films.... but I'm far more excited about Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master'. For me 'There Will Be Blood' is the best film of the 21st Century (in no small part due to the afore mentioned DDL).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
(US, please pretend this post is from somebody else, so you can answer it objectively)

I'm confused by this post - can you please clarify a couple of things for me:

Does having a film nominated for ELEVEN oscars, constitute it being 'snubbed' (even if it ultimately wins none)?

You state that ET 'only' won technical ones and that he missed out on various actor ones? Surely in his role of director he should be personally proud of the technical awards? The Best Actor ones are very much what they say on the tim, are they not? - An award specifically for the actor himself?

11 nominations and 0 wins is a definate snub, no one ever remembers the nominees.

The acting awards are an indication of the director doing a good job and getting a good performance from the actor so the director has a massive influence in that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Am I the only one who thinks that the trailer makes it look SHIT? I generally like Spielberg films, and really like Day-Lewis, but Lincoln looks awful - obviously aimed at the low-IQ Yanks

Difficult to make that assumption about a 3 hour film from a 2 minute clip.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
11 nominations and 0 wins is a definate snub, no one ever remembers the nominees.

The acting awards are an indication of the director doing a good job and getting a good performance from the actor so the director has a massive influence in that.

I would think that being able to put "Nominated for ELEVEN Academy Awards" on your posters, billboards, trailers and DVD cases is still a fairly big deal?

I do agree about the acting awards to some extent, but exactly the same could be said for all the technical ones, surely? Its his job to pull everything together to make the film as a whole, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here