The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
http://road.cc/content/news/90436-c...nly-green-lights-notorious-blackspot-junction

Cambridge approves UK's first cycle-only green lights at notorious blackspot junction
New signals will give bikes a five-second headstart over other traffic

by Sarah Barth August 17, 2013

Cambridgeshire County Council has signed off what's claimed to be the UK's first advanced green light for cyclists, giving them a few seconds to move off in safety ahead of other vehicles.

The junction at the Catholic Church on the Hills Road approach - a notorious blackspot that has seen 11 cyclists injured in collisions over the last five years to May 2013.

The Department for Transport has approved the plans, and work will be completed by autumn.

It comes as part of a wider £900,000 improvement scheme for cyling in the city.

The new style of lights could set a precedent in the UK and become widespread. They will be complemented by Trixi mirrors, new road surfacing, a red advanced stopping area, and new street lighting around the junction.

Cambridgeshire County Councillor Noel Kavanagh, Cycling Champion, said: “I am glad that the Department for Transport has backed this trial and hope, if it is successful, to see it used at other junctions in Cambridge and in other parts of Cambridgeshire.

"This should improve safety for all users at the junction as it allows cyclists to clear the junction giving extra space also for motorists. This is just one of a range of cycling improvements that are being introduced across the County.”

Cycling Campaign spokesman Robin Heydon, said: “Cambridge Cycling Campaign welcomes the trial of cycle traffic lights at this junction.

"Similar bicycle traffic lights are very common elsewhere in Europe, and we expect they are equally successful here. Enabling those on cycles to have a head start over motor vehicles will help those who are less confident, increasing the perceived safety that is important to get more people using bicycles.

"Once this trial has been formally evaluated, we would like to see this rolled out to many other light controlled junctions in Cambridgeshire and around the UK."

At the time the junction improvements were announced, we reported how Cambridge Cycling Campaign chairman Martin Lucas-Smith had condemned the plans. He told the Cambridge News outside the council meeting: “Stuffing evermore traffic through this accident-prone junction clearly remains the priority.

“We think this is totally inappropriate for a ‘cycling city’, and against its own policy to favour cycling and walking.

“The scheme is better than the current junction design, but it would be hard to make it otherwise.”

Although the Bow roundabout redesign in London also features two “bike only” lights to allow riders a few seconds' head start over drivers, the Cambridge junction is the first to use an advance stopping area within the main traffic lane.

:thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Although I am a car driver I like the use of the green go lights for bikes. These are phased to turn for around 10 seconds before the main traffic lights phase green. I have only seen these on the bike lanes so far, I can't see a problem if they are introduced at normal sets of main lights where bike lanes do not exist and thus giving bike users a head start on the road traffic giving them a clear route.

I completely agree BUT when there isn't this sort of light then I don't expect cyclists to go through a normal red light.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The difference is that a rider RLJing (though this is usually safe, and often makes things safer than waiting) is only putting him/herself at risk. A driver parking in a cycle lane is forcing vulnerable road users into sharing with vehicles that can kill them.

And please don't say "bike w@nkers", mate!

Aren't RLJs putting pedestrians at risk?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Aren't RLJs putting pedestrians at risk?

No. There's a 3-4 second gap between the 'red man' and the lanes green light. If it's pedestrian free you go for the good of yourself and the car. If a slow pedestrian is still crossing the car will have to be as patient as you, as that's what it boils down to. Unfortunately the car drivers are usually the ones that are so stressed because they've chosen to drive that they forget patience and endanger the cyclist.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No. There's a 3-4 second gap between the 'red man' and the lanes green light. If it's pedestrian free you go for the good of yourself and the car. If a slow pedestrian is still crossing the car will have to be as patient as you, as that's what it boils down to. Unfortunately the car drivers are usually the ones that are so stressed because they've chosen to drive that they forget patience and endanger the cyclist.

What you say may well be true, but you're still jumping a Red light. Car's don't so why should bikes? What's needed is a priority light for bikes.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
http://road.cc/content/news/90436-c...nly-green-lights-notorious-blackspot-junction

Cambridge approves UK's first cycle-only green lights at notorious blackspot junction
New signals will give bikes a five-second headstart over other traffic

by Sarah Barth August 17, 2013

Cambridgeshire County Council has signed off what's claimed to be the UK's first advanced green light for cyclists, giving them a few seconds to move off in safety ahead of other vehicles.

The junction at the Catholic Church on the Hills Road approach - a notorious blackspot that has seen 11 cyclists injured in collisions over the last five years to May 2013.

The Department for Transport has approved the plans, and work will be completed by autumn.

It comes as part of a wider £900,000 improvement scheme for cyling in the city.

The new style of lights could set a precedent in the UK and become widespread. They will be complemented by Trixi mirrors, new road surfacing, a red advanced stopping area, and new street lighting around the junction.

Cambridgeshire County Councillor Noel Kavanagh, Cycling Champion, said: “I am glad that the Department for Transport has backed this trial and hope, if it is successful, to see it used at other junctions in Cambridge and in other parts of Cambridgeshire.

"This should improve safety for all users at the junction as it allows cyclists to clear the junction giving extra space also for motorists. This is just one of a range of cycling improvements that are being introduced across the County.”

Cycling Campaign spokesman Robin Heydon, said: “Cambridge Cycling Campaign welcomes the trial of cycle traffic lights at this junction.

"Similar bicycle traffic lights are very common elsewhere in Europe, and we expect they are equally successful here. Enabling those on cycles to have a head start over motor vehicles will help those who are less confident, increasing the perceived safety that is important to get more people using bicycles.

"Once this trial has been formally evaluated, we would like to see this rolled out to many other light controlled junctions in Cambridgeshire and around the UK."

At the time the junction improvements were announced, we reported how Cambridge Cycling Campaign chairman Martin Lucas-Smith had condemned the plans. He told the Cambridge News outside the council meeting: “Stuffing evermore traffic through this accident-prone junction clearly remains the priority.

“We think this is totally inappropriate for a ‘cycling city’, and against its own policy to favour cycling and walking.

“The scheme is better than the current junction design, but it would be hard to make it otherwise.”

Although the Bow roundabout redesign in London also features two “bike only” lights to allow riders a few seconds' head start over drivers, the Cambridge junction is the first to use an advance stopping area within the main traffic lane.

There is an advance green cyclists signal at the bottom of Coldean Lane. It allows cyclists to get across the wide junction to the inbound cycle lane before being engulfed by general traffic. It has to be activated by push-button to make it work but it is effective, I use it. It also has an advance area, so I query whether the Cambridge scheme is the first of its kind.

PG

keaton

Nov 18, 2004

I meant currently, not under the new system. I have no problem with the idea of the new system(though most Green Men in Brighton seem to only last 3-4 seconds) just that claiming under current laws cyclists going through a red light is only dangerous to themselves is wrong

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Good news everybody, according to the Argus Brighton & Hove Council are asking for the public to come forward with ideas for new cycle lanes, get your suggestions in.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I meant currently, not under the new system. I have no problem with the idea of the new system(though most Green Men in Brighton seem to only last 3-4 seconds) just that claiming under current laws cyclists going through a red light is only dangerous to themselves is wrong

I know, I mean the old system does allow you a little time to make a head start. I'm all against those that completely ignore the lights, but heading off just before the cars is usually safer, if clear.

Good news everybody, according to the Argus Brighton & Hove Council are asking for the public to come forward with ideas for new cycle lanes, get your suggestions in.
Viaduct Road and Upper Lewes Road - to provide a link from Preston Circus to the Vogue Gyratory, and an alternative (possibly safer) route between the Level and the Vogue Gyratory.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Good , I would like to see the cycle lane on the Old Shoreham Road run the whole lenth of the road.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I'd like there to be a Cycle Lane from the bottom of Preston Park Avenue to Withdean.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good , I would like to see the cycle lane on the Old Shoreham Road run the whole lenth of the road.

I'm sure the people who live on it would be over the moon given the huge congestion the first part has caused.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
How bout they stop fooooking up the roads with pointless cycle lanes first, and look to improve safety on the roads first
I don't find them pointless, i use cycle lanes most days!
I do agree with you 100% road safety needs to improve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports