Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cream in coffee is amazing. Had loads of cream left over from Christmas so indulged a lot with that combo recently.

If I didn’t know you like a bit of craft beer I’d have you down as a right wrong un :smile:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Typical left wing shite. Tax people instead of banning these cups and forcing the makers to make ones that can recycled which is not be beyond the whit of man
Are you serious ?

Exactly the sort of thing the Tories would come up. Sidestep the real difficult task of standing up to big business (or invest in research to create a fully recyclable cup) or just push the cost onto the consumer.

Exactly what they are doing with the railways.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
I think it is a great idea to add charges to help pay to clean up the what has become mountains of rubbish. I for one am fed up that many individuals feel it is the responsibility of others to dispose of their waste and make no effort themselves to do so responsibly.

It seems crazy that the house owner is being badgered by their local authorities to be greener whilst manufacturerer and retailers add ever more packaging - and shockingly it appearrs not all of which is recyclable.

The same approach with some type of levy should be introduced at a higher rate on take away foods as well imho.

I as many others appear to ba an fed up with seeing discarded packaging in the roads both in the town and more often in country roads (where I assume individuals feel safer as there are less eyes or cameras), or in car parks where it would take no more than ten or so seconds to get out of the car and use a nearby clearly visible bin, along river banks which flow out of a town and so on.

The retailer or franchisee should take greater accountability themselves and if this means that they end up having cost increases having to employ person/s to clean up after some of their customers with these selfish inclinations so be it. Pass them on to the customer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think this is a good idea, and one of my local coffee shops does use recyclable cups and I do use them. But my personal situation is that as I buy a take-away coffee every morning (at the very least) I could not see any argument against buying a reusable cup. Over 200 of my cups a year just seems a waste of resources regardless of wether they can be recycled or not.

Its a no brainer.

Though should we a referendum on the 25p instead of allowing MP's to decide, we don't want to go against the will of the people

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I have never understood paying £2-£3 for something that must cost a fraction of a penny to produce. I know the overheads for coffee shops must be really high, but just shows how gullible the general public is.

It's not even beer!!!

it's not the ingredients that cost it's the labour

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Definitely overdue as the amount of landfill coffee cups must generate is criminal.

No excuse really as very cheap to get a reusable coffee cup. Must admit we get one every year at work but being a man I don’t carry a bag around in so difficult to take out and about so doesn’t get used as much as it should

Which bit is overdue? The unnecessary tax (or however one wishes to name it) or the tackling of the issue as a whole? There is absolutely no need to charge an extra 25p at all. The Government, past and present have too long failed to kick the big companies into touch over many issues.

Coffee chains have consistently ignored green issues over cups and as far as I’m concerned, if this government enforce this, it will show how out of touch they are and show what little respect they have for the electorate.

I wonder what our own local wet sponge Caroline Lucas thinks about it?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So the consumer has to pay the tax so that the corporate coffee shops don't have to invest their massive (largely untaxed) profits in designing a cup that doesn't contain plastics.

Yeah - that sounds like a grand idea. I can understand why so many are supporting it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Germany has the answer.

Freiburg has taken it upon themselves to provide citizens with an easy reusable cup system. Rather than expecting its residents to bring their own, or buy a brand new one on the spot, Freiburg has created the Freiburg Cup, a hard plastic to-go cup with a disposable lid that customers can obtain with a €1 deposit and return to any one of the 100 participating businesses across the city.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here