Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Latest Betting odds on next Albion Manager

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/50414-pochettino-signs-three-year-deal-with-spurs.php

Does this put a spanner in the works for him and anyone else we may want?....At least someone has commited to join another team..

I read this morning that Saints are after Poyet, Lennon or Mclaren to replace Pochettino, can't see it being Sherwood. Think Poyet would be a good choice for them.

And I REALLY hope Sherwood comes to us, for some long needed entertainment on AND off the pitch.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
good stuff, i really want him to get it.

I think if he is one of those, that if he is your manager you love him, but the opposition will dislike him.

Poyet Mk2 :lolol:

Suspect the change in odds is down to someone getting wind that he is seeing Bloom + Barber today & forgetting it will be someone else's turn tomorrow.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Poyet Mk2 :lolol:

Suspect the change in odds is down to someone getting wind that he is seeing Bloom + Barber today & forgetting it will be someone else's turn tomorrow.

I stated this many times will the upper management put up with another that is perceived to be a bit of a loud mouth and wears his heart on his sleeve.
don't get me wrong I like the bloke and hope he comes to the Albion and if he does it will be a bit like fox and chickens ....feathers everywhere

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Poyet goes to Southampton, will we have to wait for Sunderland to fill their vacancy ???

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I stated this many times will the upper management put up with another that is perceived to be a bit of a loud mouth and wears his heart on his sleeve.
don't get me wrong I like the bloke and hope he comes to the Albion and if he does it will be a bit like fox and chickens ....feathers everywhere

I might be wrong but wasn't all Sherwood's public mouthing off directed at his players? I don't think it was upwards. So the complete opposite of Poyet.
I have no problem with a manager telling it how it is. The only time that leads to problems is if the board don't back that approach. Providing everyone knows the rules upfront I don't see a problem.
Remember Sherwood improved the likes of super ego Adebeyour, so he might quite like the Lua Lua challenge!!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
If Poyet goes to Southampton, will we have to wait for Sunderland to fill their vacancy ???

Doubt it, or how on earth does anyone ever take a job!? At some point they have to make a decision, or at least the club has to drive the chosen candidate to make a decision.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I might be wrong but wasn't all Sherwood's public mouthing off directed at his players? I don't think it was upwards. So the complete opposite of Poyet.
I have no problem with a manager telling it how it is. The only time that leads to problems is if the board don't back that approach. Providing everyone knows the rules upfront I don't see a problem.
Remember Sherwood improved the likes of super ego Adebeyour, so he might quite like the Lua Lua challenge!!

Before his departure Sherwood made several pointed comments in public a) questioning his own uncertain position at Spurs and b) questioning the preference for foreign managerial appointments, c) allowing them reasonable time to do the job and finally d) highlighting his own win rate (fair point).

Levy clearly had doubts before Sherwood got the Spurs job on a short contract and most observers would regard Sherwood as then having talked himself out of the job by having a pop at the Chairman. Not a characteristic that is likely to endear Sherwood to Bloom and Barber who have good links to the Spurs hierarchy. It would be interesting to see if they are happy to live with this.

I would also question how effective the public naming and shaming of players can be - it is a dangerous game to play. Ok it may work with certain individuals but Di Canio certainly took it too far, even with a group of players who had seriously lost focus.

I'm all for a manager/head coach being passionate, especially following on from the rather inanimate Oscar Garcia. Even Poyet had his curiously quiet moments and showed a conspicuous lack of passion in those play offs. There is a time when a team needs 'motivating' and underperforming players should be told their fortunes. I can think of one or two recent Albion players who deserved a good hairdryer session. However while the fans might enjoy seeing this, it should mainly take place behind closed doors. I guess some managers/coaches are happy to devolve this task to their dressing room enforcers like Oatway or maybe Jones. Whereas I imagine Sherwood is more than happy to do this himself in the full 'John Sitton' or Fergie style, complete with tea cups, hairdryers, football boots and plenty of Anglo-Saxon language.:catfight:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Before his departure Sherwood made several pointed comments in public a) questioning his own uncertain position at Spurs and b) questioning the preference for foreign managerial appointments, c) allowing them reasonable time to do the job and finally d) highlighting his own win rate (fair point).

Levy clearly had doubts before Sherwood got the Spurs job on a short contract and most observers would regard Sherwood as then having talked himself out of the job by having a pop at the Chairman. Not a characteristic that is likely to endear Sherwood to Bloom and Barber who have good links to the Spurs hierarchy. It would be interesting to see if they are happy to live with this.

I would also question how effective the public naming and shaming of players can be - it is a dangerous game to play. Ok it may work with certain individuals but Di Canio certainly took it too far, even with a group of players who had seriously lost focus.

I'm all for a manager/head coach being passionate, especially following on from the rather inanimate Oscar Garcia. Even Poyet had his curiously quiet moments showed a conspicuous lack of passion in those play offs. There is a time when a team needs 'motivating' and underperforming players should be told their fortunes. I can think of one or two recent Albion players who deserved a good hairdryer session. However while the fans might enjoy seeing this, it should mainly take place behind closed doors. I guess some managers/coaches are happy to devolve this task to their dressing room enforcers like Oatway or maybe Jones. Whereas I imagine Sherwood is more than happy to do this himself in the full 'John Sitton' or Fergie style, complete with tea cups, hairdryers, football boots and plenty of Anglo-Saxon language.

Ofcourse he questioned the club publicly... they were talking to managers behind his back while he was in post and that came into the public domain, I personally think he handled it all very well.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ofcourse he questioned the club publicly... they were talking to managers behind his back while he was in post and that came into the public domain, I personally think he handled it all very well.

I tend to agree, Sherwood was largely provoked by the circumstances around his appointment and Levy's stonewall silence throughout. Despite having inherited someone else's squad and signings and little regard for his win ratio.

I also think Levy knew that Sherwood tends to wear his heart on his sleeve and conveniently allowed him to talk himself out of the job. However some of Sherwood's comments about specific players and gilet throwing strops, were a bit OTT. I like to see some passion and he would be a breath of fresh air in that respect, although I would prefer if he reins it in just a bit.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I see where you are coming from and I like the idea of him being an OK guy with the players and I am sure he will be OK in that respect its when someone starts poking a nose in his perceived business is when the sparks may fly .....now I am OK with that as as I am sure you are but will the board like it.
I hope they whoever they are ignore all perceptions and just get on with appointing him, someone.
him I like and I think he could take us up

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I see where you are coming from and I like the idea of him being an OK guy with the players and I am sure he will be OK in that respect its when someone starts poking a nose in his perceived business is when the sparks may fly .....now I am OK with that as as I am sure you are but will the board like it.
I hope they whoever they are ignore all perceptions and just get on with appointing him, someone.
him I like and I think he could take us up

If only you could trust him, or anyone else for that matter. BTW I agree with you.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I tend to agree, Sherwood was largely provoked by the circumstances around his appointment and Levy's stonewall silence throughout. Despite having inherited someone else's squad and signings and little regard for his win ratio.

I also think Levy knew that Sherwood tends to wear his heart on his sleeve and conveniently allowed him to talk himself out of the job. However some of Sherwood's comments about specific players and gilet throwing strops, were a bit OTT. I like to see some passion and he would be a breath of fresh air in that respect, although I would prefer if he reins it in just a bit.

I'm not a fan of Sherwood and, based on his time at Tottenham, don't really want him. However, I agree with your point about what happened at Spurs. He was never backed by Levy and the board and was always seen as a short term choice.

If he came here and was given the support and time to build a team, he might not be so inclined to mouth off in interviews and be able to let his coaching do the talking. He's obviously a highly regarded coach so would hopefully be able to get the best of the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here