Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Kinks

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Not saying Ray Davies isn't worthy but how long can Eric Clapton be ignored. The only 3 time inductee to the rock and roll hall of fame, 18 Grammys, member of the first super group in the 60s, rated one of the greatest guitarists in the world possibly ever, and as a side line holds regular concerts and events to support his drug rehabilitation centre. His list of achievements would take up too much space.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This is where the whole system of honours fall down he did his job and for which he was well paid it should be for achievements outside of the normal.

Actually I'd rather see honours go to someone who has entertained me since the 60's than a dinner lady, a teacher or a thank you gift to a political croney.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Let's start with being the only English songwriter who's output compares favourably with that of Lennon & McCartney.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin and Difford and Tilbrook ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's start with being the only English songwriter who's output compares favourably with that of Lennon & McCartney.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin and Difford and Tilbrook ?
Potential whole new thread here - or a massive argument!

All entitled to their opinions, of course, but my three penn'orth would be Pete Townshend, Joe Jackson and Richard Thompson. And Lennon and McCartney of course.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Potential whole new thread here - or a massive argument!

All entitled to their opinions, of course, but my three penn'orth would be Pete Townshend, Joe Jackson and Richard Thompson. And Lennon and McCartney of course.

Jagger/Richards anybody?

May 21, 2014
Portslade
Thought the show was brilliant, I enjoyed it as much as Jersey Boys. Went to the performance after watching the QPR match and when the lad who played Dave Davies ( who was excellent ) walked off stage at the end of the show I'm pretty certain I heard him chant "seagulls, seagulls" , so I suppose he must be a fan as I see that someone mentioned earlier he was from Lancing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saw a matinee of Sunny Afternoon last week. Feared the worst in the opening scene with the sheer am-dramming of the two characters who play the upper-class twits who become The Kinks first managers. But the thing really reels you in. Have to admit to only having been dimly aware of the band's back story before seeing the show, but having read up on it subsequently, can see how true to that story the whole show was, albeit in highly stylised form obviously. And of course all those top tunes, all done with a high degree of musicianship. Highly recommended.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've seen Ray Davies, but I never saw the Kinks. However I've seen the Kast-off Kinks a few times. They're more than yer bog-standard tribute band because as the name suggests they're made up of people who actually used to be in the Kinks, including Mick Avory on the drums. They are absolutely brilliant and if you like the Kinks songs I thoroughly recommend them.

We went to the stage show before Christmas. It was ok, nothing special, but admittedly it wasn't helped by the fact it was a Brighton audience so it took a while to get going. I wouldn't see it again but I can't wait to see the Kast-off Kinks again.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Saw a matinee of Sunny Afternoon last week. Feared the worst in the opening scene with the sheer am-dramming of the two characters who play the upper-class twits who become The Kinks first managers. But the thing really reels you in. Have to admit to only having been dimly aware of the band's back story before seeing the show, but having read up on it subsequently, can see how true to that story the whole show was, albeit in highly stylised form obviously. And of course all those top tunes, all done with a high degree of musicianship. Highly recommended.

Yes, great show, and I'm not normally a fan of musicals. Of course, the makers had a head start with a ready made story and great tunes. But they had to marry the two together. Which they did. Brilliantly.

Good to see people enjoying Sunny Afternoon as Im responsible for how it sounds !

I'm a production sound engineer and move the show around the country. The Theatre Royal is one of the smallest theatres on the schedule and so presents certain problems.
Its a bloody loud show and fun to work on, and as has been said already the songs are fantastic.
Glad you all enjoyed it.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Not saying Ray Davies isn't worthy but how long can Eric Clapton be ignored. The only 3 time inductee to the rock and roll hall of fame, 18 Grammys, member of the first super group in the 60s, rated one of the greatest guitarists in the world possibly ever, and as a side line holds regular concerts and events to support his drug rehabilitation centre. His list of achievements would take up too much space.

I wouldn't dispute your observations about Clapton. I saw him with Derek & The Dominoes at The Dome, when Duane Allman couldn't get a work permit to play the UK. I saw him at The Centre once and once when he came on stage for J.J.Cale's encore, during the 1976 'Troubadour' tour. Ostensibly Clapton is still churning out the same stuff that he was playing when he first came onto the scene. You couldn't exactly accuse him of being innovative and pushing the boundaries. I suppose you could say the same about 'The Rolling Accountants'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here