Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Jills

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think I read somewhere that the FA were against us going there and they were told not to offer us somewhere to play. If true we owe them quite a lot.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've never really understood the antipathy towards Gillingham.

At least they let us use their ground when nobody else did.

It might not have been a great experience, but it saved us at the time

Where else could we have gone?
All od this. Much has been said about Paul Scally and his regime, but as you say, without anywhere to play where would be now?

If there is any antipathy surely it should be directed at the likes of Pompey or Crawley, where we were denied the chance to groundshare.

If anything l'm on Gillingham's skde in their fight to hold on to Football League status, if only because they possibly kept the Albion alive by letting us set up home there back in the dark old days.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
If i recall they were at Wembley in the early 2000s for a play off final , and a fair few of our lads and lasses went up in support .

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I thought it was the owners, Crawley Council and not the Football Club that prevented Albion using the ground?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Same here. They charged us rent eh? Wouldn't anyone have done the same including us?
Didn’t our “rent” pay for the Gordon Road stand. Scally was a mate of Bellotti too wasn’t he?

I do not wish them well

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Didn’t our “rent” pay for the Gordon Road stand. Scally was a mate of Bellotti too wasn’t he?

I do not wish them well
Why was it 'rent'? Surely it was rent, as we paid them money for use of their facilities. Were they supposed to say 'have it for free'? Would we let another club use the Amex for free? As for Bellotti and Scally I have no idea as didn't / don't know either.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why was it 'rent'? Surely it was rent, as we paid them money for use of their facilities. Were they supposed to say 'have it for free'? Would we let another club use the Amex for free? As for Bellotti and Scally I have no idea as didn't / don't know either.
300k paid for three years, we were only there for two and Scally didn’t refund the third year..allegedly.

We were shafted by Gillingham, with Bellotti’s compliance, no doubt approved by Archer imo. All sorts of shit was going down at the time. Us folding no doubt being the preferred outcome from this ludicrous arrangement for home games.

If you are OK with it, that’s fine, doesn’t mean I have to be as well though.

Nasty club with a nasty owner at the time, getting into bed with our asset stripping owners at the time imo :shrug:

I’d like @Lenny Rider take on this

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
100 % correct. We were lucky to find a temporary home. No need for some of these comments on the monthly Gillingham FC threads. I’m sure their fans aren’t as obsessed with us as ours are with them.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
300k paid for three years, we were only there for two and Scally didn’t refund the third year..allegedly.

We were shafted by Gillingham, with Bellotti’s compliance, no doubt approved by Archer imo. All sorts of shit was going down at the time. Us folding no doubt being the preferred outcome from this ludicrous arrangement for home games.

If you are OK with it, that’s fine, doesn’t mean I have to be as well though.

Nasty club with a nasty owner at the time, getting into bed with our asset stripping owners at the time imo :shrug:

I’d like @Lenny Rider take on this
Not based on actual facts then Icy ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not based on actual facts then Icy ?
Nope, but I do wonder how many of you who are saying you were OK with it actually went to the Priestfield for two years every couple of weeks during the seasons we played there though, and lived through the shit that was going on with the club leading up to the groundshare.

All my opinions are based on personal experience at the time and the rumours about it

I have no problem with others being happy with how it was handled :shrug:

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nope, but I do wonder how many of you who are saying you were OK with it actually went to the Priestfield for two years every couple of weeks during the seasons we played there though, and lived through the shit that was going on with the club leading up to the groundshare.

All my opinions are based on personal experience at the time and the rumours about it

I have no problem with others being happy with how it was handled :shrug:
Clearly you do have a problem with those differing opinions if you think they must be from people who weren’t there….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
New majority owner so locals who support them are waiting to see whether there is any investment. He recently referred to them as " sleeping giants " so he obviously is a bit clueless. By the way it is the "Gills".
Often pronounced, even by local telly 'presenters' here in North Kent, wrongly, as the things fish breathe with :facepalm:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Clearly you do have a problem with those differing opinions if you think they must be from people who weren’t there….
Not at all, just interested whether they actually lived through it or are just grateful Gillingham gave us a home ground at the time even if they didn’t go or weren’t even born at the time.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not at all, just interested whether they actually lived through it or are just grateful Gillingham gave us a home ground at the time even if they didn’t go or weren’t even born at the time.
Or the third option which is grateful to Gillingham for allowing the ground share, acknowledging that we had to pay to do that and having been a STH throughout our time at Gillingham and before…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here