[Albion] The Japanese imperial flag in the away end at OT

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Me, I just think if it's something that's going to cause upset, then why wave it at a football match?
Horses for courses though? I did wave a Yemeni flag when Newcastle came to town, with the explicit intention of causing upset.
I suspect however that my subtle political pointscoring was wasted on the wobbly hordes of pissed-up, topless, Geordies in the away end.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well yes, I agree: I'd like to think it was just a bunch of (English) Albion fans with no thought of what it might mean to anybody else, trying to support Mitoma. I'm merely raising the point that the flag in question is an issue for various people around the world, which these guys may well be mortified to learn.

All I'm saying is, maybe it would be wiser to use the actual Japanese flag next time, not the old one. It's not that hard, is it? They sell them in the club shop.
"It would be wiser" and "it's not that hard" suggests the fans knew what the flag means to some and thought "sod it - we'll do it anyway".

It could be the case that they hopped onto Amazon typed Japan flag and happened to choose that rising sun type thing as it's a bit more eye-catching - plenty of them come up in the first page of results.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Both Japanese flags have multiple meanings and connotations bad and good, and both are used in Japan. This holier-than-thou attitude that some have in the West, the absolute cheek of us to have it, especially with European history. Turkey, America. Britain, Russia, and China, are all on par with Japan history, I would argue worse because some of those countries still commit war crimes.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
England match = England flag

Brighton and Hove Albion match = Brighton and Hove Albion flag
Well England one with Sussex / BHA on it, obviously…

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s a Korean Seagulls Twitter page that’s very upset about.

Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2. But regardless, can’t everyone just get a long without becoming hysterical over a f***ing flag that’s perfectly legitimate in the modern world despite what happened in the past. We are 3 generations on from back then, and it’s a football match not a reparations deal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Imperial flag is accepted by the Japanese people. It's on their clothes and everywhere. The Chinese flag is offensive to many nations because of their brutality yet we are ok with that?!. The Union Jack was called The Butcher's apron by Ireland and other nations. From what I've seen it's White liberals who get offended at this flag in UK not local Koreans.
I'm a white liberal and I don't give a f*** about flags.

Well, when I say liberal, I mean authoritarian, soft left, not at all liberal. I hate liberalism. They think anything goes. Including imperial flags.

So you're wrong, wrong, wrong, in every respect.

Apart from that, I largely agree :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’d imagine it’s not popular with British POWs either…
Are there any still alive? They would be in their mid nineties by now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some people just chose to be offended and I suspect some even go looking for it.
Come on, that's unfair. People who have a national history of being enslaved and murdered by the Imperial Japanese are entitled to be miffed.

Some people are offended by James McClean disrespecting the national anthem. Are you disgusted, support his inevitable right to signal disengagement with the anthem of his forefathers' oppressors, or not bothered? Personally I'm not bothered. But I can understand the annoyance of those who are.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I had no idea what the Japanese Imperial Flag was before reading this thread and opening another browser tab and searching.

I'd probably have described it as "that Japanese rising sun thing".

I would hazard a guess that the Albion fans who had this flag may have thought of it in a similar way, and had no idea of the negative connotations of it. That's not to say that makes it OK, but I'd not be too damning on those who had it, who very possibly thought they were just looking to show Mitoma some love.
Never watched Tenko then ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm a white liberal and I don't give a f*** about flags.

Well, when I say liberal, I mean authoritarian, soft left, not at all liberal. I hate liberalism. They think anything goes. Including imperial flags.

So you're wrong, wrong, wrong, in every respect.

Apart from that, I largely agree :thumbsup:
Thank you Harry, noted.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports