Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Japanese imperial flag in the away end at OT

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A European person waving a Japanese imperial/naval flag is probably comparable to that Paul Gascoigne incident where he mimed flute playing just before an Old Firm game.

Stupid as he didn't know what he was doing and as such would have been well advised to not do it at all. Equally those Celtic fans taking offense at it should probably have just ignored it, knowing full well he was a bit thick and it wasn't actually designed to inflame anything. He just thought he was being funny.

Korean Seagulls - that's you. Getting arsey out of some perceived duty to do so, rather than being big enough to see that clearly no offence was meant.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Interesting thread. I did spot this (and subsequent outrage) on twitter and a combination of google and this thread has enlightened me, genuinely before I personally wouldn't have used it because it's not their national flag (and I'm not even Japanese, mainly), but now I understand the context of it all :) learning something new every day!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am sorry but in my simplistic mind If something is seen as offensive then you should stop doing it

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was going to post something similar. We don’t all have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the history and development of the Japanese national flag.
Isn't that the whole point of flags though... To 'flag' something?

I'd say it's probably best for anyone intending to fly any flag in public to in fact have a detailed encyclopaedic knowledge of the history of said flag, then making their mind up from there.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am sorry but in my simplistic mind If something is seen as offensive then you should stop doing it
How about if a majority do not see offence, but a very small minority do?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Isn't that the whole point of flags though... To 'flag' something?

I'd say it's probably best for anyone intending to fly any flag in public to in fact have a detailed encyclopaedic knowledge of the history of said flag, then making their mind up from there.
Or, perhaps, a GCE in Flagwaving in the school curriculum.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Interesting one this, I have Japanese friends who have the swastica and imperial flags in their homes. It means something different to them. Wonder how offensive georges cross is to people .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If that were the case, nobody would ever do anything as there will always be someone that will take offence.

As for the topic in question, the flag is a legitimate current flag and I don't have a problem with people waving it. If it wasn't a current flag and only represented the Japanese during WW2 then i would support calls for it not to be shown. If we had a Korean player and someone waved their flag and a bunch of North Koreans were offended would that persuade people to stop waving it?

As Simster stated, no offence was intended and in this case none should be taken.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Interesting one this, I have Japanese friends who have the swastica and imperial flags in their homes. It means something different to them. Wonder how offensive georges cross is to people .
I suspect every single flag in the world will cause offence to someone, somewhere. Sort of the nature of the beast. They're tribalistic, thus a little bit shit, but also very empowering. A bit like football really.

Think whoever chooses to fly a flag in public should be very clued up on its history and then be prepared to stand by what it means to them before going ahead and flying it. Flying a flag just because it looks pretty, or based on limited knowledge, could be problematic.

Sep 8, 2023
Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2. But regardless, can’t everyone just get a long without becoming hysterical over a f***ing flag that’s perfectly legitimate in the modern world despite what happened in the past. We are 3 generations on from back then, and it’s a football match not a reparations deal.
what does this even mean? Korea was under Japanese imperial rule until the end of WWII. We were a nation, owned by our neighbors. My great grandfather was killed by the regime. Barely feels like history to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am offended by other people telling me what I should and shouldn’t do. Will you take any notice of that?

Thought not.
So basically you say you're offended by people being bossy. Most people take exception to such people. What's your point?

You asked "How about if a majority do not see offence, but a very small minority do?" which is a stupid question because ultimately the number of people offended misses the point. It's all about whether offence is actually intended. If you don't need to say/do something and you know regardless that there is a chance you're going to upset others, then don't say/do it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
what does this even mean? Korea was under Japanese imperial rule until the end of WWII. We were a nation, owned by our neighbors. My great grandfather was killed by the regime. Barely feels like history to me.
Then you should know Koreans formed part of the Japanese army, and many of them committed the worst atrocities of both civilians and POWs. Get educated millennial, unlike you I knew and chatted to many such veterans, and have visited the camps too before you were even a twinkle in your parents eye. “What does that even mean…?”, sake, you have no idea!

Sep 8, 2023
Then you should know Koreans formed part of the Japanese army, and many of them committed the worst atrocities of both civilians and POWs. Get educated millennial, unlike you I knew and chatted to many such veterans, and have visited the camps too before you were even a twinkle in your parents eye. “What does that even mean…?”, sake, you have no idea!
Koreans, who were under imperial rule. Who were forced, under the pretenses that they would be killed had they not. These men were conscripted, very few willfully joined to fight for the Japanese, and those who did were sons of poor farmer families who sometimes had no other options. you are spouting complete waffle, and ignoring the historical context

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, up your own arse much?? Did you miss the bit where he mentioned his actual family and that he's talking about his own country? And then you come out with 'Get educated millenial'??
Earlier in the thread you stated 'Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2.' which, even with my basic knowledge on the subject, is completely ridiculous.

Be interested to hear your stories from all these atrocity committing Korean veterans of the Japanese army?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Or, perhaps, a GCE in Flagwaving in the school curriculum.
Well, we could discuss Vexillologists, but I suspect it might make some people angry or annoyed.

Sep 8, 2023
Wow, up your own arse much?? Did you miss the bit where he mentioned his actual family and that he's talking about his own country? And then you come out with 'Get educated millenial'??
Earlier in the thread you stated 'Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2.' which, even with my basic knowledge on the subject, is completely ridiculous.

Be interested to hear your stories from all these atrocity committing Korean veterans of the Japanese army?
he's a full time waffler surely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here