The Independant

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Anyone read today's independant, edited by Bono. Shocking facts and figures on AIDS in Africa.

Well worth a read IMO.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm disappointed that a big and old-fashionedly sentimental story - maybe involving the royal family, say - didn't break yesterday. The sort of thing the Express would like maybe. I really wanted to see how Bono's cred would have "coped" with that.

Last edited:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Stinkers Bridge said:
Does Bonio still speak with that ridiculous fake American accent?

dunno as its newspaper. .love him or hate him at least he is using his fame to make a stand.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I do understand Bono's point but what annoys me about many celebrities is the need to involve themselves in high profile, international issues... when is anyone going to fight for the boring old issues we face on our home soil? Is it not glamorous to fight for the homeless, the downtrodden or the diseased in the UK, the battles fought in N. Ireland or the NHS's woes? I think not unfortunately...

I am a charitable person at heart and would prefer to see those people who have access to the press due to their "celebrity" helping to solve/highlight issues closer to home...

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
caz99 said:
dunno as its newspaper. .love him or hate him at least he is using his fame to make a stand.

Shame he doesn't use some of his £100 million to make a stand too, eh? I started reading his article, but stopped halfway through as Bono disappeared up his own arse in a fit of self-righteousness.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
blah blah blah, I thought I would get the usual crap. Yes I can understand why people think he is self rightous. I would too if I was doing the amount of work he does and yes he does use some of his £100 mill. I can also understand the charity begins at home aspect however we have a duty to assist others in our race and I feel very strongly about helping a country that lose nearly 7000 people a day to a disease.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Erm, I don't think they actually do that much fighting in Northern Ireland any more.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
I'm disappointed that a big and old-fashionedly sentimental story - maybe involving the royal family, say - didn't break yesterday. The sort of thing the Express would like maybe. I really wanted to see how Bono's cred would have "coped" with that.

the independent doesn't really cover royal family stories anyway so i assume he'd just ignore it

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMHO unless the African male gets over his prejudice that its against his manhood to wear a condom and the Catholic Church in Africa endorse the wearing of condoms as a method of birth control and safety, then Aids will continue to decimate Africa.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trufflehound said:
He's been up there since 1983...

Too right.

Bonio always tops my list of most smug, self-obsessed, irritating, pretentious celebrity...I think I even prefer Mick Hucknall to him (although I agree that it's close).

Where's my bloody news in the Indepedent and what's all the red business.

As Looney would shout " The only good red is a dead red"

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The usual spouting off against anyone famous who tries to do something good! We love knocking people who are succesful - moan at those that do nothing, mock those that try and do something. Read the paper and you might learn something useful and want to do something about it.

Bono was nominated for a Nobel peace prize for trying to bring David Trimble and John Hume together - so they dont ignore what happens in there homeland

"BELFAST — Mr David Trimble and Mr John Hume will make a joint appeal for a Yes vote in Friday’s referendum at the end of tonight’s rock concert featuring U2 and Ash in Belfast’s Waterfront Hall. On the campaign trail in Derry yesterday, Mr Trimble confirmed that he would be appearing at the concert. "I’m delighted that groups of such eminence as U2 and Ash are coming specially to Belfast to have a concert in support of the Yes campaign, and John Hume and myself are very much looking forward to being there." Northern Ireland’s largest public service union, Unison, which has 30,000 members, opened its campaign for a Yes vote yesterday."

"Two leaders from both sides of the political divide in Northern Ireland have appeared on stage together at a concert headlined by the band U2 to show unity ahead of the referendum.
Ulster Unionist (UUP) leader, David Trimble, and his counterpart in the nationalist Social Democratic and Labour Party, John Hume, appeared together for the first time during the campaign.

U2 and the band Ash provided the entertainment and appeared on stage alongside the politicians.

All of them backed a Yes vote in the referendum on the Good Friday agreement. "

Bono still lives in Dublin (yes in a big house - what a bad person that makes him!)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is this the same Bono who later this month will be wined and dined at the very best of the best hotels in Monte Carlo for the Monaco Grand Prix?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports