Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The “importance” of The North Stand?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If we were honest, we’d admit our North Stand is a bit of a caravan parked next to the Chateau.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we were honest, we’d admit our North Stand is a bit of a caravan parked next to the Chateau.
True.

I've always loved the Porto stadium (the Dragao I think?) which plays host to another blue and white striped team, looks much like the Amex but crucially has a proper sized end. If I was ever feeling ungrateful, and I can't say I do, I'd look at that and wish the Amex looked a bit more like that.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Sensible move if not expecting a big crowd to spread fans down 2 sides. Opposition not likely to drive huge demand for tickets.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
THREAD TITLE - just to clarify.

The word “importance” wasn’t in reference to the ‘twelve man cheering us to a result..blah…blah’ yes, I know it’s a friendly and the club don’t care about the result, it was about the North Stand in itself. Do the regulars that do the singing not care that it’s shut, or is the North just “meh” these days?.

NB I’m an East Stand boy so I don’t care per sey. but to repeat, I just think it’s an odd decision that wouldn’t happen at any other club.

On your final paragraph, I’ve been to a couple of friendlies at St James Park where the Gallowgate End wasn’t open.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I can see what the OP is getting at. The North Stand is surrounded by mythological legend as the place where the 'true' supporters go. It's where the noise is expected to come from. I'm a stand nomad & my only comment is that the myth of the East stand lower being very quiet...is true. ,:)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Don’t ask me, because they’re not my words. In my OP I’ve used the term “claim” “they claim” “some claim” etc

I’m gonna have to quit now as it’s one of those threads where I’ve got the discussion in my head but it hasn’t translated into the written word. Generally speaking it was to be a discussion of how “ends” (The North, The Holmesdale, The Stratford End, The Kop etc) are perceived by the powers that be that run the clubs and also how the fans that frequent said areas see their own importance if at all. It’s my own fault for not being able to articulately and/or correctly being able to make my point.

If it was over a pint I’d be able to make myself clear! :lolol:

Fair enough. I was as just trying to develop the discussion for you. We will have to ask Stratford fans about the Stratford End :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here