The "if Poyet leaves, the next Albion manager should be..." thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
McGhee

If Poyet goes...

Just wondering whether the club will go instead for an interim appointment.

If so, will they be keen on a return for McGhee until the end of the season?

The reason I say this is that he lives in Brighton, often goes to games and so knows how they play, and has just returned to coaching with Scotland.

Not saying I want that to happen, but just a thought.

Derek W

Aug 23, 2011
I agree with Phat Baz. Ultimately it has been clear over the last decade or so that there is no loyalty in football. having said that I suspect that Gus has more about him than many others and what would he gain from jumping ship and enduring another seasonings Championship with the Royals? It's probably a good newspaper story and either Adkins or De Canio is,lined up for the Readng job.

IF GUS did go, I think Adkins, De Canio or Di Matteo would do, with Roberto the clear favourite for me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:ffsparr:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Tony Bloom was at a Fans Forum last week.
He faced quite a few questions on how he wanted the club to be run and he mentioned how much he respected WBA (playing budget control, debts under control and still maintain premiership status).
As Di Matteo managed them he would know about working within these contraints whilst still gaining promotion.
Tony Bloom also said that the style of play currently within the Club is how he wanted it to remain and any replacement Manager would already have the expererience of playing to that style.
He said he had contacts throughout the football community and the club was already aware of Managers around the globe not just in this country.
Personally, Solkjaer and Enrique (in view of the Spanish connections) light my fire.

On the last point, who had heard of mauricio Pocchettino before he went to Southampton, but I have heard more than one person locally say they played the best they had ever seen them play againsy liverpool last saturday.

I don't think Gus will leave, but if he does, it could well be (probably will be?) someone we have never heard of, or who would not be an obvious candidate.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Martinez turned down Villa or was it Liverpool to stay at Wigan . . . why would he drop down . . no chance

Solskaer the same with Villa

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Not Robinson, Howe and definitely not De Canio.
Rafa Benitez would be ideal for me. Maintain the Spanish theme and he has an international reputation.
I also believe he may have worked with one or two of our players before.
Then he could build a side to bring Abramovich and Chelski down a peg or two !!
Rafa for me !!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What about tannio?

He knows us, he has been there since the start of Gus's revolution..he speaks Spanish.

100% shoe in

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If Poyet goes...

Just wondering whether the club will go instead for an interim appointment.

If so, will they be keen on a return for McGhee until the end of the season?

The reason I say this is that he lives in Brighton, often goes to games and so knows how they play, and has just returned to coaching with Scotland.

Not saying I want that to happen, but just a thought.

I would have no problem with that. He is good at motivating players, and pragmatically putting a team together from what he has. He did a good job before he lost the plot when he was given no money.

As has been said, he knows our players as well.

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
This is getting better and better, Benitez? Surely you could prise AVB away? I'm sure Guardiola isn't yet settled in Germany. What about Mourinho, surely he needs a more upwardly mobile club having been stifled at Real for a while now. You'll probably have that Dom Littlewood take over till the end of the season and then be lucky to get Adkins. Ho hum.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The "if Poyet leaves, the next Albion manager should be...Tested for mental instability. Because of the things Poyet has said

over the last three years, his commitment, loyalty and honesty have to be questioned if he goes to Reading. That's a big if.

He would have to not be thinking clearly to go anywhere near this. So either he is playing poker with Tony or the whole thing is bullpoop.

Plus he would loose all my respect, and I bet that hurts.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Whoever replaces him, it is imperative that his name rhymes with some form of public mass transit system, which after a few moments of internet searching leaves me with:

Wayne Burnett (from Dagenham & Redbridge)

This way, when we get kicked off the GUS BUS we will all be able to jump aboard the WAYNE TRAIN. Sorted. :thumbsup:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
or Calde & Di Matteo.. ?

Muchy. Calde to assist RDM until the end of the season.

Then RDM from next season.

Really can't see it happening. After all RDM won the Champions League last season.

Anyone who thinks Benetiz would come to us must be deluded.

Please NOT:

Di Cannio

Warnock

Jewell

Robinson

Appleton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports