Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Not sure of the exact details but the ECB don't make money on the blast so set The Hundred up to try to cash in. Basically the ECB have mucked up English county cricket chasing quick cash.
Gone from working for what's best for cricket to using it to pay themselves bonuses.

Scumbags.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Further context. I am falling out of love with cricket. Unless Somerset are playing I find I don’t really care anymore. I loved the blast and the bbl and IPL when they started but now there are so many franchise tournaments I have given up on all of them. I just don’t care. Let’s be honest the players don’t care if their side wins either. They play a few games in one tournament and then abandon the team to fly to the other side of the world for a few games then somewhere else for some more. If they don’t care about teams why should we? It has basically become an exhibition sport.

Sadly it is affecting my love of tests as well. No anticipation builds before a series with some games vs local sides. We fly in. Lose. Fly away to franchises.
I take it that, like me, you remember a side touring England playing a 3 day game against all the Counties with a Test about once a month ? The tour lasting about 4 months.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I take it that, like me, you remember a side touring England playing a 3 day game against all the Counties with a Test about once a month ? The tour lasting about 4 months.
Yep. But also remember watching England tour the west indies playing leeward isles and watching on teletext.

Counties signed an overseas player who stayed for the whole summer. As a Somerset fan I was too young for garner but mushy, Jamie cox etc. curtly Ambrose was Northants, Walsh was gloucs, Haynes was Middlesex, Hadlee at Notts, mark waugh Essex. Season after season. I loved it. They became part of the county.

I get the game has developed and I sound like an old man. I am 44. I loved it.

We had three match one day series to warm up for test matches as well.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Need to bring back Gentlemen v Players.

1706120766336.png

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
As a fellow cricket dinosaur, I am not sure even I approve of the following challenge I am doing...but John and myself would appreciate any support...

As part of a wider fundraising project by GB Olympians, now cricket is in the 2028 Olympics there is a Beat the Pro Challenge hosted by Sussex's new captain John Simpson. Whether people want to support me or John, it will all go to help charities / good causes / cricket clubs etc in Sussex add to the £612K already raised in donations through the auctioning off of such athlete challenges. Donors also get the chance to win places on experience days and memorabilia.

Full details on www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/beat-the-prome-vs-sussex-ccc-captain-john-simpson

The wider project is on http://www.legacy300.com

Hopefully people might be inspired to take up the challenge and raise for their own club or chosen good cause.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Certainly remember watching the Australians at Hove in the 70s, packed ground and if memory serves Sussex not putting out a second XI to rest first team players.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can see the floodlight towers at the county ground from my flat.

For most of August if I want to watch 'cricket' I would need to spend £25 on a train and 5 hours travelling or £30 and 4 1/2 hours travelling to go and watch a shit version of cricket involving 2 teams that I have absolutely no interest in.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But they're not chasing £££. The 100 costs millions - it's making a big loss

But they’re hoping it gets really popular and makes them money. It’s literally the driving force behind it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
But they’re hoping it gets really popular and makes them money. It’s literally the driving force behind it.
They are paying the best women an extra £20k this year.

For their performance on the undercard on a load of bollocks.

It's bollocks

I went to the first international 20/20

NZvENG women's at Hove

Few hundred there.

No **** trying to work out if they could make any money out of it.

Greedy ****s and incompetence have f***ed the game to benefit their greedy cunccc seleves

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can see the floodlight towers at the county ground from my flat.

For most of August if I want to watch 'cricket' I would need to spend £25 on a train and 5 hours travelling or £30 and 4 1/2 hours travelling to go and watch a shit version of cricket involving 2 teams that I have absolutely no interest in.
That for me is the key. I'd actually be happy with the Hundred if Sussex had a team in it. Ok, not 'happy' as such as no other country uses the format, but I'd accept it. Given I live in Brighton and wanted to take an interest, which team should I support? I guess being south of London I'm supposed to follow the Southern Braves, but living in Brighton it's actually easier to get to the Oval as opposed to the outskirts of Southampton - and as it's ten miles nearer geographically they're also my 'local' team.

So ok, I'm a London Swingers (or whatever they're called) fan. But for me being a fan also has to have that element of jeopardy; I want to care about the result. If I go and see Sussex play I want them to win and I'm disappointed if they lose. If I went to see London Swingers I wouldn't give a toss if they won or lost, so for me there's no point, it would be nothing more than a glorified exhibition match. (Or more accurately, an exhibition of boundary hitting).

Hopefully it is bringing new fans to the game. Although I'm not sure how many of the 'women and children', raised on 100 balls bash bash bash are going to enjoy and appreciate the nuances of a five day Test, but that's an argument for another day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here