Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The History of Brighton & Hove Concert Venues

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This is brilliant but nostalgic reading (apologies if it’s been posted before) - for those who like me were out and about on the Brighton music scene of the late 70s to mid 80s in some capacity or another (diminished most of the time in my case 🤪) - an incredible explosion of live venues (I worked behind the bar at lots of them including Xtremes (New Regent), Jenkinson’s (late 70s), The Alhambra, The King & Queen, The Zap Club … amazing up and coming bands, local talent and big name bands and of course all forms of cutting edge performing arts - literally the best decade of my life. I don’t think I ever paid to go and see a gig or get into a venue because was always on a guest list!

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/04/13/the-history-of-brighton-hove-concert-venues-part-1/

(it’s in alphabetical order in 4 parts)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would like to see the full list of bands that played at Jenkinsons, great place to go back then.

IMG_1245.jpeg

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
An excellent read and thank you for posting. Bought back lots of happy memories of my youth. A couple of venues missed though, the original Hove Town Hall in Church Road where I (and strangely and unbeknown) I was amongst the audience with a girl who later became Mrs BS to watch the Rolling Stones. It was early 1963 and Come On had just charted that week. 200 lucky people paid 5 shillings each for their tickets and those were sold at the tobacconists close by in Church Road. The other venue I seem to find excluded is what was called (officially or not who knows?) The Chinese Jazz Club and that was part of the Aquarium. It was open Friday nights and I saw acts such as Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk, The Animals, Manfred Mann there.

But a lovely read and I've saved the site for more future reference.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I got to see all the concerts as the Big Apple for free as I worked part time at the Academy, Odeon and Regent Cinemas, whilst still at school. I can’t believe it was only open for 4 months as it seemed much longer at the time. I guess it’s because they had concerts every 3 - 5 days, far more than listed in the article.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
A great read, also showing up the places and bands I missed after leaving Brighton in late 1971 - the Montpelier was the place then, if not to listen to music but to pick up Scandinavian girls.....including my first wife!!

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Brilliant read.

I spent many a happy night headbanging away in the Hungry Years.

One of my best mates fell in love with the female lead singer of a band we saw there called Lipstick because she walked off the stage and snogged him at the end of the set.

He still regrets losing her number to this day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is brilliant but nostalgic reading (apologies if it’s been posted before) - for those who like me were out and about on the Brighton music scene of the late 70s to mid 80s in some capacity or another (diminished most of the time in my case 🤪) - an incredible explosion of live venues (I worked behind the bar at lots of them including Xtremes (New Regent), Jenkinson’s (late 70s), The Alhambra, The King & Queen, The Zap Club … amazing up and coming bands, local talent and big name bands and of course all forms of cutting edge performing arts - literally the best decade of my life. I don’t think I ever paid to go and see a gig or get into a venue because was always on a guest list!

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/04/13/the-history-of-brighton-hove-concert-venues-part-1/

(it’s in alphabetical order in 4 parts)
Abinger, 142 King’s Road, Brighton, BN1 2LP.
The neo-Georgian style Abinger Hotel was built on the site of Abinger House which was demolished in 1948. Abinger Hotel opened in May 1956 and in the 1970’s it was a pub/steak restaurant with bars on the raised ground floor with brick divided nooks and crannies to have a drink and chat in. It had a discotheque below ground level and the steakhouse restaurant upstairs, which was reached by a carpeted sweeping stairway. A punk band going by the name of The Meat played live here on 7th July 1977. So it is likely that more local bands played here.

I think they called themselves 'Meat'. They also played at a venue at Black Rock. I met my first wife at that gig. :ohmy:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Might have well missed it on account of the sheer welter of information but... can't see The Art College Basement anywhere, despite looking under Art, Basement and College. Not worked my way through to The yet. Used to spend many a sweaty night in that cramped elongated student venue. Saw New Order's maybe 4th ever gig there, as well as countless NME darling duffers like Mansun and Kula Shaker

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Might have well missed it on account of the sheer welter of information but... can't see The Art College Basement anywhere, despite looking under Art, Basement and College. Not worked my way through to The yet. Used to spend many a sweaty night in that cramped elongated student venue. Saw New Order's maybe 4th ever gig there, as well as countless NME darling duffers like Mansun and Kula Shaker
Definitely on there and New Order mentioned

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Excellent article, a few omissions, (Ray Tindall Centre, Underground Club, The Comber, even Hove Town Hall to name but four) but it'd be almost impossible to have a fully complete article!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had to go back and look :lolol:
I didn’t actually know U2 and New Order played there until I saw this link. I went there a few times and remember seeing UK Decay and Theatre of Hate.
Boy George was at one gig but we didn’t know who he was and this was before he hit the charts. I saw Culture Club for the first time on TOTP and remember seeing him at The Basement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here