Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Historical Sex Allegations Thread

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Dispatches and the Times wouldn't be dare going to press if they felt they didn't have something.

The problem is people don't complain through fear of losing their job or being edged out.

It's an environment I've worked in almost my entire career, usually regarding much lesser behaviour but the point still stands.
It’s not just this one (I’ve not seen the documentary or read the report), it’s the whole trial by media that now seems to be more prevalent.
Be it form a report about a potential crime or potential culprit right though to an heavy implication from some paper against some person

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yeah they’ve got to be 200% certain to be going public with this.
But have they though? Lots of stories about people everyday that turn out to be incorrect or incorrect (in no way am I saying that this is what’s happened here).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But have they thought? Lots of stories about people everyday that turn out to be incorrect or incorrect (in no way am I saying that this is what’s happened here).
Are you watching the Dispatches that is on right now? They’d get sued if it’s not true.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Rather than go to the police and follow standard practice, go to Channel 4 and make a prime-time expo$è.
No evidence they haven’t/didn’t. Lots of criminal prosecutions have occurred off the back of a civil case.

If someone felt they were the only one this happened to, they often feel they wouldn’t be believed. In the 16 year old’s case, she states and evidences she went to a rape crisis centre on the day of the alleged rape. The police undoubtedly were informed of this per procedure.

For the sake of comparison, previous high profile cases of convicted high profile sex offenders began with allegations from one or two people, but once made public were followed up with dozens (occasionally hundreds) of further allegations. “This happened to me too, but nobody would believe me”.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But have they though? Lots of stories about people everyday that turn out to be incorrect or incorrect (in no way am I saying that this is what’s happened here).
This is investigative journalism which, if wrong, would have severe repercussions for the organisations making the allegations. This is very different from making something up and posting it on Twitter.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I just hope the newspapers involves send all their evidence to the CPS and they can build a case

These matters should be decided by law and not social media.

Where this media exposure might come in useful is if others decide to come forward

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Rather than go to the police and follow standard practice, go to Channel 4 and make a prime-time expo$è.

Firstly you have no idea whether anyone did contact the Police and secondly it's an environment if you know nothing about. A lot of the late 90s / early 2000s in that industry was utterly rotten.

If you think for one second this programme was the result of people "ringing up channel four" you are clueless.

For a start, Channel Four don't make any programmes. In fact the programme has extensively criticised them and they don't come out of it great.

This is all about hard nosed journalists digging out rumours that have existed in the industry for years.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If even half the stuff in Dispatches is true, one might think that the possibility of a custodial sentence for Brand is real.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wife and I just watched. I honestly don’t know what to make of it. We shall see I guess.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This isn't a tabloid headline. This is an investigation that has taken place over many years.

You are barking up the wrong tree here and drawing false comparisons.
But that right there is the point. You have taken a side, rightly or wrongly, based on a piece in the media. Calling it investigative journalism is fine but a journalist is not judge and jury.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But that right there is the point. You have taken a side, rightly or wrongly, based on a piece in the media. Calling it investigative journalism is fine but a journalist is not judge and jury.
This is true. And as creditable as investigative journalism always sounds, it may not be. As you allude, best left to legal agencies.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Then the story never gets told, because nobody complains. It's an industry who know little or nothing about.

Let me tell you something, no-one who works in the media industry will be surprised that there is yet another expose about an individual.

Such individuals have very powerful lawyers. You clearly live in very simplistic world where someone makes a complaint and the company or further the police and the CPS decide whether to proceed.

Nothing about threats to your livelihood and career that stop you complaining in the first place.

Trust me I've been there when I've called out bad behaviour. I was actually approach by senior management concerned about the business dealings of an individual.

Next thing you know you are placed in a room with the same very individual to put up or shut up.

It's corrosive. You rarely complain as an individual. If then approached by investigative journalists who agree to hiding your identity and tell your story alongside others similar, I fully understand the compulsion to sing like a f####### canary.

It's very very brave to speak out. The world isn't perfect if you are a victim.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Real echoes of Saville isn't there? He's been so blatant about his behaviour and it's always been an open secret and nobody has done anything about it.
I can imagine many, many more women might come forwards now.
It's gross and tragic.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Missing the point completely. Firstly, they might have gone to the police already. Secondly, on the basis of that programme, it seems unlikely there’s enough evidence (yet) to meet the threshold for a criminal prosecution. That’s very different to it not being true. The newspaper and Channel 4’s lawyers will be 100% confident they would win any libel action, otherwise none of it would see the light of day.

Clearly the intention is to embolden others to come forward. It’s possible then that through sheer weight of numbers and corresponding stories that something more can be done.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So far we've got rumours of accusations of accusations about DW, RB and DJ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here