Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Guardian's Assessment - From nowhere to the Premier League

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Really? The Palace fans i have all spoken to dont, they point out straight away that he is not got enough for the league. Hence why he left them. No i dont think he should be for sale but used as a back up. You cannot seriously tell me you expect our current strike force to cope?

No. Who does ?
Hughton for starters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It will be Hughtons downfall if we dont get one in.
It won't be his downfall.
If the squad goes into the season underpowered, a la Semi, the club won't scapegoat him.
Plus we all know Chris is far to classy to call out the top brass.

Say one thing for the club, it does do 'class' well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For me an impossibility with our current squad. We are so short of pace and strength it's laughable, especially with the start of the season just around the corner.

Pace? Knockaert & March
Strength? Stephens, Sidwell, Kayal, Dunk, Bruno, Rosenior, Duffy

Lots of people have written off the new signings without having seen them too. To describe our position as laughable is too harsh, it's not ideal, but plenty of other clubs have not made the quality or quantity of signings they were hoping for either.

We might go down, we might stay up, but whatever happens, I'm sure you'll still be supporting the Albion in 12 months time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A tweet from the Guardian came up on my phone just when I was in the club shop with family, including Jnr Bobkin who was getting a new kit. It was busy being stocked up with goodness knows what (about 100 boxes were being unloaded from a truck at the entrance), there were supporters of other clubs from Brazil and Spain in there and the whole thing seems a million miles away from my own experiences as a young Seagull. The 'take a step back and realise how far we've come' line has been done to death, but Mrs B – who rarely sets foot inside the place and isn't impressed easily – even said how nice the stadium was, how lucky we are to be able to watch football there and how everything seemed so geared up for top flight football. My kids really are fortunate to be able to watch their local team in such surroundings – as the video highlights there are a huge number of people responsible for that, some of whom are on this board, so thank you to them :thumbsup:

Obviously no-one can accurately predict what is going to happen this season – even if the squad stayed as it was – but I'm not one to get too hung up on promotions and relegations because, as we've seen, these things come in cycles. Without the lows, you don't get to enjoy the highs. I am thoroughly looking forward to the season ahead and what it brings. If that means relegation, so be it, we'll just go again next season.

As an aside, I flicked through the 'We're on our way' book, which looks stunning, but did make me remember what a fantastic season it was and if – even in the Premier League – it is going to get any better. Also, the away kit looks SO much better in the flesh...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As ive said before, ask any Palace or Bournemouth fan, they will tell you that.

I've a friend who is a Palace fan, who, whilst saying that Murray couldn't be certain of starting every game, was gutted he left, as Murray's guile and strength were appreciated and help Palace pick up points.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As ive said before, ask any Palace or Bournemouth fan, they will tell you that.

Not *any* Palace fan as i work/know 3 Palace fans who are mates were disappointed he left especially as he kept banging em in last season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

kjgood

Video? Brilliant. As for our chances of bettering 20th place? Its about as good as half of all the other teams in the Premier League. The Premier league is always split into two, those with money at the top and those like us that dont have an endless supply at the bottom.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we'd beaten Norwich and made a load of chances, the mood would be a lot better.

Instead, having the worse of a draw against a Championship side has enhanced any gloom.

However, friendlies are not proper games and for sure don't have the same analysis of the opposition and tactical game plan. Hughton is going to have to earn his corn in the real games.

Not all is lost, at least not yet. But a prediction of 20th from a neutral source is a depressing thing and a warning worth heeding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here