Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The greatest footballer that you ever saw play live

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Abdul Razak v Ipswich in 2012 was the most totally outstanding individual performance I can remember seeing from an Albion midfielder. I was convinced that day we had witnessed a future Premier League star.

He has achieved almost literally nothing since...!

I was about to post the same. Razak was INCREDIBLE that day. Only Vicente v Portsmouth comes close.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
For actual performances on the day, rather than the rep ( I have seen Paul Gascoigne and George Best)

Ruud Gullit playing sweeper for Chelsea v Aston Villa
Vicente for us
Charlie Cooke for Chelsea at Upton park
Andy Goram for Oldham v BHAFC
Peter Ward for us - various games

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I saw him play live in 1969 but in only one game. He didn't shine, but Mullery did.

According to most spurs fans, Greaves was a lot better than Mullery. Totally different players to be fair.
Spurs fans have Greaves down as their greatest ever player. Alot of people believe he's Englands greatest ever striker. The main reason he isn't as talked about in todays world is because of the injury which prevented him from playing in the 1966 world cup. Apparently he was 10 times the player Hurst was. Would loved to have seen him play.

Count yourself lucky, even if he was crap.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
According to most spurs fans, Greaves was a lot better than Mullery. Totally different players to be fair.
Spurs fans have Greaves down as their greatest ever player. Alot of people believe he's Englands greatest ever striker. The main reason he isn't as talked about in todays world is because of the injury which prevented him from playing in the 1966 world cup. Apparently he was 10 times the player Hurst was. Would loved to have seen him play.

Greaves actually played all 3 group games in the 66 World Cup - he got injured in the last group game vs France, but was fit and available again for the Final. However, Ramsey didn't want to change a winning team and Hurst kept his place instead. Ridiculous decision.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Abdul Razak v Ipswich in 2012 was the most totally outstanding individual performance I can remember seeing from an Albion midfielder. I was convinced that day we had witnessed a future Premier League star.

He has achieved almost literally nothing since...!
Occurred to me when I saw the thread title as well. I've had similar discussions in the past with people, that weren't at the game, who were trying to convince me that it must have been due to a poor Ipswich performance on the day.

Fools the lot of them.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I was there as well, he could use both feet, head, tackle, shoot, dribble and boy was he quick. I have seen most 'greats' over the years and he was simply the 'best ' he took your breath away.

Amazed that someone else on here was at that game - but he was just unplayable. He had everything (on the field at least).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Vicente against both Portsmouth and Blackburn, plus that run against Derby. Never seen a better Brighton player though I struggle to remember Ward who I only saw in his second spell.

Saw Gazza in that England B game at the Goldstone and he was outstanding and lucky enough to have seen Beckham a couple of times for England. Not only the best deadball taker I've ever seen but his touch and work rate were phenominal. You had no idea from watching him on telly. Not the quickest but an incredible touch and physique to make up for it.

Would love to see Messi.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For actual performances on the day, rather than the rep ( I have seen Paul Gascoigne and George Best)

Ruud Gullit playing sweeper for Chelsea v Aston Villa
Vicente for us
Charlie Cooke for Chelsea at Upton park
Andy Goram for Oldham v BHAFC
Peter Ward for us - various games

Mine would be Paul Gascoigne. Saw him play for Newcastle at West Ham. Newcastle also had that Brazilian Mirandinha playing for them that night. He was good, but Gazza was absolutely outstanding. You could tell he was a world class talent - never seen one player completely dominate a game like that. Made most of the other players look total dross by comparison.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Greaves actually played all 3 group games in the 66 World Cup - he got injured in the last group game vs France, but was fit and available again for the Final. However, Ramsey didn't want to change a winning team and Hurst kept his place. Ridiculous decision.

At the time, it must have seemed risky?

Look at their overall career stats:

Geoff Hurst: apps 561, goals 228

Greaves: apps 528, goals 366

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At the time, it must have seemed risky?

Look at their overall career stats:

Geoff Hurst: apps 561, goals 228

Greaves: apps 528, goals 366

I can only imagine this place must've gone into complete meltdown once the team was announced.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He was fit by the day of the final, but Sir Alf chose not to play him. I only went to White Hart Lane once in the 60s as I don't follow Spurs. Greaves didn't do much for me as an England player.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The press almost did.

I'll bet. Ramsey would have got absolutely slaughtered if Hurst had been anonymous that day and the result gone against us. Brave decision.

That ball was never over the line either. A poor finish from 7 yards out, and that pillock Roger Hunt turns to the ref to appeal for the goal, instead of simply nodding the rebound into an open goal and making sure. We got away with it (but have paid heavily for it over the years).

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Luckily saw Zidane and Ronaldo in their pomp for Madrid. And they kindly combined for one of their goals of the season too!

ZZis sublime and you need to see some old Ronaldo YouTube clips to remember how good he was.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'll bet. Ramsey would have got absolutely slaughtered if Hurst had been anonymous that day and the result gone against us. Brave decision.

That ball was never over the line either. A poor finish from 7 yards out, and that pillock Roger Hunt turns to the ref to appeal for the goal, instead of simply nodding the rebound into an open goal and making sure. We got away with it (but have paid heavily for it over the years).

I'm not bothered about the 'Russian' linesman, as we scored another goal after that. I think a lot forget that we won 4-2, not 3-2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here