Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest Films of All Time

Specially for Uncle Spielberg ...

Free with yesterday's Observer was a little book called The Observer Book of Film. An interesting read.

It included an article on The Greatest Films of All Time, which listed the results of the polls of 'the world's leading critics' that Sight and Sound has run every ten years, since 1952.

Using a formula based on the position of each film in every poll that it was capable of being placed in, the top ten films of all time turn out to be:-

1. Citizen Kane
2. La Règle du Jeu
3. Battleship Potemkin
4. Vertigo
5. L'Avventura
6. 8½
7. Tokyo Story
8= Bicycle Thieves
8= The Godfather & The Godfather II
10. The Passion of Joan of Arc.

That is all.

You have not been charged for this information.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
rrrr

Specially for Uncle Spielberg ...

Free with yesterday's Observer was a little book called The Observer Book of Film. An interesting read.

It included an article on The Greatest Films of All Time, which listed the results of the polls of 'the world's leading critics' that Sight and Sound has run every ten years, since 1952.

Using a formula based on the position of each film in every poll that it was capable of being placed in, the top ten films of all time turn out to be:-

1. Citizen Kane
2. La Règle du Jeu
3. Battleship Potemkin
4. Vertigo
5. L'Avventura
6. 8½
7. Tokyo Story
8= Bicycle Thieves
8= The Godfather & The Godfather II
10. The Passion of Joan of Arc.

That is all.

You have not been charged for this information.

Ed that list is not worth a bag of sand. There does not appear to be any Spielberg films there :censored:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Citizen Kane

YAWN

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ed that list is not worth a bag of sand. There does not appear to be any Spielberg films there :censored:

:lolol: Why might that be? :jester:

It is a very good read, Ed. The Observer remains the king of Sunday papers. Interesting to see that The Phillipines is the third largest film producer, ahead of USofA!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not seen any of them.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I have seen none of those and only heard of two of them. Somebodys favourite film may well be in there, Someone else's may be saving nemo. Thats the beauty of things like films and music, you can like what ever you want. I hate it when poncy arty folk tell you what the best film ever is.

Spielberg does get recognised in The Observer Book of Film, though.

He gets placed fifth in the list of film directors who like appearing in their own films - behind Peter Jackson (for Heavenly Creatures and all of The Lord of the Rings films), Hitchcock (for just about everything), Spike Lee (for Clockers) and Martin Scorsese (for two unconnected appearances in Taxi Driver).

Spielberg's greatest moment is as the voice heard over Quint's marine radio in Jaws, when Mrs Brody tries to call her husband.

And ...

Jaws is number three "must-see action movie"

That is all.

I was charged £1.80 for this information.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any idea of the average age of the voters, mostly geriatric or young pseuds I'd guess?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Little Nigel Erskine once turned up on a Gulls Eye coach with a video copy of ET, thankfully it turned out to be a highly entertaining flick called "Enormous Tits":bowdown:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's a bloody good reason for that.

Interesting to see the 1992 list, and compare it to the 2002 list...

1. Citizen Kane
2. Vertigo
3. La Regle du Jeu
4. The Godfather/Godfather II
5. Tokyo Story
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7.= Sunrise
7.= Battleship Potemkin
9. 8½
10. Singin' In The Rain

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's pretty clear that a lot of these MOVIES are listed for technical prowess in advancing cinema - (the top 3, #6 &atlleship Potemkin)

BUT

'Touch Of Evil' is better than Citizen Kane

8 1/2 deserves a place

as does Godfather 1 or 2 (or both)

Battleship Potemkin is prety damn good 'cause it still looks the business today (f*** your CGI)

2001 is an ultimate in polarisation - I love it - but wouldn't put it top 10

Vertigo isn't the best Hitchcock film

Rules of the Game is pretty damn good

and where the hell is Soccer Dog?

Soccer-Dog-The-Movie-Video-Release-Poster-C10121056.jpeg

Delving further into the Sight and Sound 2002 poll, I find that some critics (and directors) DID vote for Spielberg films. Not enough, however, for any of them to get into the top ten.

These are the Spielberg films that at least got someone to support them:-

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (1 vote)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1 vote)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (3 votes)
Jaws (3 votes)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1 vote)
Schindler's List (2 votes)

The film that came 10th, Singin' in the Rain, got 25 votes. And Citizen Kane got 88 votes.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
I've seen 4 from that list, 3 of which I have on DVD - Citizen Kane, Godfather 1 & 2, plus Vertigo.

Godfather 1 and 2 are in my top 10, but the other 2 aren't although they are good films.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here