Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Escape Intial Line Up Announcement

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Anyone going this year, should check out Rag 'N' Bone man, From Brighton, Unreal voice and hopefully big things come from him in the next few years.

I havent been to the great escape for a few years now, I stopped enjoying it, However had some great times with a few mates great 3 days out all day on the piss popping in and out of gigs.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was planning on it if time allows, I'm also going to do an article for We Love Brighton on some of the picks of The Alternative Escape. Looking at the line-up just then, I realised how little I know so I need to get cracking.

And thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Even without a podcast an old fashioned list would be extremely helpful!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A few tips for dealing with the A-Z band biographies on the site.

Anything that uses 'unique' is either the most generic sounding tripe or has some really bad rapping involved.
Avoid anything that uses the word 'tastemaker.'
'Clasically trained' means absolutely nothing, it's just marketing speak to make pop music sound more intellectually satisfying.
If the video involves a pretty guy strumming aimlessly on an accoustic guitar in the first ten seconds, move on. Nothing good will come of it.
'Heartfelt.' means trying hard but ultimately unispired, generic shit
'The new Radiohead' are the old Radiohead
Avoid anything that mentions Zane Lowe in the bio.

I've only got to C, it's going to be a loooooooooooooong week.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Anything that uses 'unique' is either the most generic sounding tripe or has some really bad rapping involved.
'Clasically trained' means absolutely nothing, it's just marketing speak to make pop music sound more intellectually satisfying.
If the video involves a pretty guy strumming aimlessly on an accoustic guitar in the first ten seconds, move on. Nothing good will come of it.

Thanks for the doing the work for the rest of us.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

There seems to be a fair bit of pretty boy shite this year.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Some things you just know are going to be shite from the promo photo

http://greatescapefestival.com/artists/delta-rae/

I guess that picture is no more or less boring than most of them, it's just the description that fiddles my wick. A great list of everywhere they've played, giving you no clue as to whether they're worth traipsing across streets and through crowds for when you're stood there with a programme your £50 has helped pay to produce on the day. It's not a problem unique to TGE - few festivals seem capable of describing their acts clearly and accurately. Does a disservice to everyone. There are plenty of journos who'd do it well for the price of a ticket. Even just the ol' "for fans of..." after each band would be better. They don't seem to have thought it through: is anyone really gonna go "oh, VH1 liked them once, that's good enough for me"? Anyway

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why's The Great Escape like the General Election?

Because it creates the veneer of choice, whilst ensuring that a rich kid will ultimately win.

(I'm up to J)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ok, here's my top picks, with some notes about the ones I didn't know about before I heard them. Should be a good variety in styles but it will be focused on shoegaze/ alt-rock becuas that's where my heart lies.

If you are a fan of pretty boys strumming aimlessly on an acoustic guitar whilst singing in that whiney falsetto that they must teach at the Brit school, you are in luck. There must be at least 50 of them on the bill. Ditto for downbeat pop in the vein of James Blake or The XX (except with none of the emotion or feeling.) I got to the point where I was so fed up with both of those tropes that as soon as I could smell them (the bio, the promo shot and the first ten seconds of the song, I moved on.)

I may not buy a ticket next year. The Alternative Escape has developed to the poin where I'd be more than happy just doing that for 3 days.

AK/DK
Allusondrugs - Wierdly anthemic, goofy, guitar pop
Asylums - Perky melodic alt-rock.
Awesome Tapes From Africa
Bad Breeding
Black Honey
Black Peaks - Very melodic hardcore
Blanck Mass
Blaue Blume - Not unlike The Smiths
Boothroyd - Predicatably wierd, blown out, multi rythmical electronica on the ever reliable Triangle Records
Bulbul - Massively dirty Jesus Lizard-esque punk
C.A.R - Robotic, Germanic sounding techno synth-pop
Charles Howl - Blown out psych-punk, suprisingly catchy
Choir of Young Believers - Like Wooden Shjips crossed with Talk Talk
Creepoid - Ffemale fronted alt-rock like a polite Isn't Anything era MBV
DJ Nature - World music, jazzy, house. Niiiiiiiiice.
Django Django
Duke Garwood - Real Deal bluesman
Dutch Uncles
Flyying Colours - Shoegazy psych
Formation - Dancey post-punk, a bit ESG though it's not too much of a pitch to think LCD Soundsystem.
Francisco The Man - Catchy, garagey, shoegazy
Fraser A Gorman - No prizes for originality but reminds of Beck as the alt-bluesman.
Gabrielle Papillion - Gritty female fronted Americana folk.
Gaz Coombes - Sounds a bit classic era Radiohead.
Ghost Culture - Errol Alkan/ Dan Avery vibes.
Girl Band
H. Hawkline - Interestingly produced wierd guitar pop.
Hannah Lou Clark - Darkish pop
Human Hair - Raw, dirty blues rock
Jane Weaver
Jay Prince - Chilled hip hop lovely flow - could be a hangover curer.
Jean Added - Llo-fi pop
Kali Uchis - Contemporary vintage soul.
Kuenta I Tambu Afro - Caribbean driven world music gear
Landshapes - Definitely heard The Cure but aiming for something a bit harder.
Little Simz - Downbeat soulful hip-hop
Lowpines - Absolutely gorgeous lo-fi folk without an annoying whiny voice.
Lubomyr Melnyk - Ukrainian pianist, not unlike Nils Frahm
Meat Wave Noise - punk gear. Sounds a bit like Liars at their noisiest
Menace Beach - Alt-rock via MBV loveliness
Mile Me Deaf - Quirky lo fi indie rock
Mountain Bike - Garage boogie rock
Mr Peter Hayden - Glenn Branca meets Sunn

My Baby Female - fronted blues-rock Good but derivavtive
Nai Harvest - Japandroids mixed with TPOBPAH
Ocean Wisdom - Great flow - old skool beats
Oscar Lovely - Joy Divisiony kind of thing
Pinkshinyultrablast - Happy shoegazy thing. Really good.
PINS - Lo-fi alt rock
Prom - Polite hardcore punk
Rat Boy - Where Jamie T used to be.
Rival Consoles - House/ Tech
Shopping
Sunflower Bean
The Cribs
The Garden - Interesting - punky
The Moon - Riff Happy rock
The Posies - lo-fi alt rock duo
The St Pierre Snake Invasion - McLusky/ FOTL
The Thurston Moore Band - Unsuprisingly it sounds like Murray Street/ Sonic Nurse
The Vryll Society - Not unlike The Music
Titeknots - Jazzy house, typical of Tru Thoughts
Turbowolf - RAWK
Twerps - Brilliant creative, lo-fi indie pop
USA Nails - Bloody brilliant Jesus Lizard stuff
Vodun - Interesting take on classic rock.
Wand - Psych garage rock on In The Red. Ace
Warm Graves - Atmospheric, krauty
Yak - Like a less inspired Eighties Matchbox
Yosi Horikawa - Ambient gorgeousness
Yung - Like a slightly washed out No Age
Zun Zun Egui

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ok, here's my top picks, with some notes about the ones I didn't know about before I heard them. Should be a good variety in styles but it will be focused on shoegaze/ alt-rock becuas that's where my heart lies.

If you are a fan of pretty boys strumming aimlessly on an acoustic guitar whilst singing in that whiney falsetto that they must teach at the Brit school, you are in luck. There must be at least 50 of them on the bill. Ditto for downbeat pop in the vein of James Blake or The XX (except with none of the emotion or feeling.) I got to the point where I was so fed up with both of those tropes that as soon as I could smell them (the bio, the promo shot and the first ten seconds of the song, I moved on.)

I may not buy a ticket next year. The Alternative Escape has developed to the poin where I'd be more than happy just doing that for 3 daysi

Thanks for the recommendations. I have to agree with you that this years line up could well be the poorest so far which is a real shame as its the ten year anniversary. I have carefully studied each days run down and struggling to find a starting point Thursday evening (work during the day sadly). The dome headliners do not excite me unlike last years Wild Beasts/ These New Puritans. Hopefully come 17th May I will have found some gems.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If you haven't got a ticket but fancy seeing some good stuff, this lot are all playing the Alternative Esacpe, which is either free or nominal entry fees

Theo Verney, Jouis, Curxes, Dralms, Black Honey, George The Poet (acoustic), The Emperors of Ice Cream, Fable, Pinkshinyultrablast, Bad For Lazarus, Fawn Spots, Virginia Wing, Meat Wave, Our Girl, Menace Beach, USA Nails, Zun Zun Egui, Spacenoid, Great Pagans, Kuenta I Tambu, Speak Galactic, BulBul, Vok, Mile Me Deaf, Sunflower Bean, Is Tropical, Flowers, Yung.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Slug are playing on Saturday 3.15p.m at dome studio. Ex Field Musics Ian Black.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Do we know what we're doing yet?

Thurs

Want to see Flyying Colours, Fraser Gorman, bulbul, Mile Me Deaf, Jeanne Added, Forever Pavot, Charles Howl, Choir of Young Believers, Thurston Moore - not too sure after that, it's a bit dependent on what I see earlier and what I'm in the mood for.

Fri

Warm Graves, Great Pagans, My Baby, PINS, Kuenta I Tambu, Yosi Horikawa, The Garden, Wand, Lubomyr Melnyk, Blanck Mass, Shopping, Ghost Culture, GEoRGIA,

Sat

USA Nails, Zun Zun Egui, pinkshinyultrablast, Bad Breeding, Girl Band, Virginia Wing - my plan at that point is a bit dependent on what I have/haven't seen or if I want to see someone again, I want to end up at the Awesome Tapes From Africa show and finally hopefully at the Teen Creeps secret party.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Very few TBH need to check through some of your recommendations, I have written in my notes

Susanne Sundfor Thursday evening
Twerps, Tobias Jesso Jr, Ghost Culture (or Django Django) Friday evening
Gaz Coombes, Awesome Tapes Saturday evening.

When are Zun Zun Enguie and pinkshunyultrablast playing, didn't see them on the gig planner.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here