Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Baked Alaska Swindle

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Wow, some sweeping generalisation there! A bit like "Muslims are typically all terrorists" or "Football supporters are typically violent thugs"

Do agree about the editing - although clearly designed to (successfully) stoke some coverage.

Oh yeah I know, highly unfair. The situation just reminds me a lot of some ladies I used to work with who seemed like nice older ladies but were actually massively passive aggressive over anything they deemed as 'not their job' or someone stepping on their territory (for example - deliberately hiding order tickets so that I would attempt to help, never mind that customers were waiting bloody hours!)

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
This is the first time we have watched it. Wouldn't say it is a must watch program and agree that the judges do come across a bit smug. However with regard to this weeks controversy, I found it a bit odd that the BBC announced that Diana had left the programme due to ill health but at no point in the report did they wish a good recovery or report that she had recovered and was well (bearing in mind the episodes were recorded between April and June.

Had to laugh as the 'accused' apparently made a comment along the lines of 'it is an amateur competition with no prize money so why would you sabotage someone else's food'! If you weren't interested in winning, why would you enter in the first place!!!

Must try and record a few more films so that we can watch those instead.

As someone else said it was only 40 seconds out of the fridge which would not have ruined the ice cream, Dianna perhaps should have apologised, his ice cream was not setting anyway, he was obviously very disappointed on the hot day in June and should not have just binned it!

BBC are over the moon with all the publicity, I would think.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Couldn't just about any TV cook show be labelled similarly? Hugh? Gordon? Rick Stein? Masterchef? Nigella? The one in Paris presented by the cute woman? Are you sure your vitriol isn't because this one's about baking? Fess up - you just hate cakes, don't you?

It's so twee the camera operators have to take their equipment in to the tent in Cath Kidston oilprint bags. I have a dictionary at home where there are pictures for the definitions and under smug there's a photo of Sue Perkins (I don't really but still). Mary Berry reminds me of the friends of my mum that I hated and Hollywood is creepier than a clown on acid.

Cakes, however, I like. I have a belly that attests to this fact!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As someone else said it was only 40 seconds out of the fridge which would not have ruined the ice cream, Dianna perhaps should have apologised, his ice cream was not setting anyway, he was obviously very disappointed on the hot day in June and should not have just binned it!

BBC are over the moon with all the publicity, I would think.

Maybe 40 secs (if it was just 40s!) would or would not make a difference but it was clearly a hot day and add into that the lighting for he cameras. However, it's not for me to fan the flames of baking controversy.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
I quite like the TV cookery programs.

GBBO on the other hand is a vile, smug, middle class abortion of a program not unlike the local W.I. webcamming a jam making contest. It can f*** off somewhere really far away and then f*** off again when it gets there.

Not quite sure, are you liking it or not...?

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Maybe 40 secs (if it was just 40s!) would or would not make a difference but it was clearly a hot day and add into that the lighting for he cameras. However, it's not for me to fan the flames of baking controversy.

It is obviously not for everyone, whole thing is making me laugh now, neither of them were likely to win the competition. Shame Diana left!

fanning the flames a little more:

•Diana Beard says 'knives were out' for her and she cried after seeing show

•Rival Iain Watters stormed off set when his Baked Alaska collapsed

•Mrs Beard seen taking it from fridge - but she says it was back in in seconds

•'I've been stitched up. Why would I want to sabotage Iain's Baked Alaska?'

•It emerged today that she never returned to the Bake Off after episode

The BBC must be loving it (viewing already 8 million)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's so twee the camera operators have to take their equipment in to the tent in Cath Kidston oilprint bags. I have a dictionary at home where there are pictures for the definitions and under smug there's a photo of Sue Perkins (I don't really but still). Mary Berry reminds me of the friends of my mum that I hated and Hollywood is creepier than a clown on acid.

Cakes, however, I like. I have a belly that attests to this fact!

:lolol: fairy nuff; I can tell I'm not going to be able to change your mind :wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well I'm as unhappy about Child abuse or any abuse come to that. But that said, surely it doesn't mean we can't talk about anything else, does it? ???

This. If after reading the OP you don't like the theme, then simply don't comment.

Personally I like GBBO and editing clearly plays a part in perception, but as Hollywood pointed out he could have presented it without the ice cream, so with nothing to judge he had to go.

The role of Diana doesn't come over that well, and TBH I didn't like her attitude much any way. The fact they've both gone is probably for the best.

Last edited:

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I am still waiting for the cream pie episode. I think the woman from Brighton may win this one.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From the Guardian

"A baker’s dozen – 13 – viewers have complained to Ofcom with 12 of them concerned at the apparent sabotage of Watters’ dessert, and 811 have complained directly to the BBC."

Mentalists!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here