Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Goldstone - where did you stand or sit when you first watched the Albion?

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Started right at front of North Stand.
Then, over the years did every part of the ground apart from ' the Lego stand '
Finished in the West Stand.
( Favourite viewing position...probably right at the top of the N.E Terrace...glorious view....can still picture that fantastic flowing move that led to one of the finest goals ever seen at the Goldstone....Willie Irvine v A.Villa in 1972 )

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Started in West Stand in 1977 as a 7 year old

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
north east corner,under the floodlights with my elder brother pointing out this famous bloke(and ex Albion player) Dave Sexton,aton pparently he was the chelsea manager and actually paid to stand on the terrace rather than get a free seat in the west stand.
That is what I call a true Albion legend.
Sexton was a frequent paying visitor to the goldstone and never played the big shot,he lived in a flat in grand avenue and took his place on the north east terrace whenever he could.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
North West Corner above the bogs (1) for a couple of seasons in 1979. Then over to the East Stand on the half way line (2) , half way back for a couple of seasons. Finally, North Stand behind the goal two thirds of the way back (3) until it ceased to exist. West Stand seats for the reserve games (which loads of people used to go to back in the day - I recall maybe 1 or 2,000 at some games).

Found this whilst looking for a pic of the ground - interesting images of the Goldstone being developed in the 50's (new south stand, new west stand) and an aerial shot of the North East corner when it used to be used (I don't think I ever saw people standing in that corner) - http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__7621_path__0p115p209p520p.aspx. Compare the tiny West Stand and the primitive way South Stand was built to Falmer - incredible.
Wicked - just imagine if that model appeared on ebay!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
started in West Stand seats with Dad, then we moved around between the Chicken run and East Stand upper, then I spent many years sitting in the South and ended up in the North until I buggered off down under, with an occassioanl West Stand seats treat thrown in the mix......

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Probably watched games mainly from North and South stands though the view from high on the east terrace was tremendous. In the early 60's it was possible to wait on the East terrace until just before the kick off and make your way to stand behind the goal Albion were attacking. At half time we would make our way to the opposite end.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was too young to remember my first game, The 1st memories i have of attending matches were going with my dad and standing on a yellow Holsten beer crate at the front of the East stand, about the half way line.

Over the years I have sat in the South Stand when my younger sister went to a few games before becoming a regular in the North Stand. However I did attended a few games standing in the west stand, north west corner and a few more in the east, but that was mainly because the North stand was full by the time i arrived. I once sat in the West after someone gave us a couple of spare tickets for this area.

My regular place was usually about half way up the North stand, behind the goal.

borowha

Dec 19, 2008
North west,just in front of the press box,with the players coming out to our right.Many a banter with John vinicombe albion press ledgend.Great days.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
First game was in the South Stand with Sammy Nelson and 13 other members of my football team.

Graduated to the North Stand (got elbowed by a Brighton fan taking a swing at a Portsmouth fan in the FA Cup 1-0 victory (Matty Edwards?).

Ended up in the West Stand terrace with a one match stint in the Directors Box with the criminals :blush:

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
1st game as a 6 year old sitting in the South Stand, v Barnsley if I recall

Toward the halfway line on the terracing in front of the West Stand. Latterly I tended to favour the East Terrace at the back on dry days and towards the end it was the North Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here