The Goldstone goal posts

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

richmond

May 30, 2008
Am I right that the goal posts last used at the Goldstone (if they are still intact after the Doncaster game), will be used at the new Amex Stadium?

Or is this a misty eyed vision!

D

Deleted User X18H

That is correct.

They were stored by the groundsman after the donny game and Dick Knight has kept them in his garage ready for the first game at Falmer

Yeah he whittled 'I hate the Blooms in to one of them' and 'I love Liz Costa' in to the other'

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I would be surprised if they are.Like everything,they are probably more advanced now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
See the urban legends thread. Would be very surprised if this is true. Can't see Bloom spunking £90million on a stadium then sticking up second hand goalposts!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
It would be kinda fitting for the first friendly, then get new ones for the first league game.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
That would be quality if true, always loved the Goldstone goal's, these box goals are boring, all the same, crap!

Bring back the days of all clubs having different nets, like Spurs and their super hard spring goals, the goals at Smellhurst always stood out too

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
To keep wood in those lengths perfectly straight for 15 years would require very careful temperature and humidity controlled storage, not just "in someone’s garage”.

I would be very surprised if they would be still in a condition suitable for use in the football league.
But maybe used is a friendly as a symbolic gesture maybe ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
To keep wood in those lengths perfectly straight for 15 years would require very careful temperature and humidity controlled storage, not just "in someone’s garage”.

I would be very surprised if they would be still in a condition suitable for use in the football league.
But maybe used is a friendly as a symbolic gesture maybe ?

they were metal not wood :thumbsup:

edit: unless you were bing FUNNY then I missed that....DOH! :lolol:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
That would be quality if true, always loved the Goldstone goal's, these box goals are boring, all the same, crap!

Bring back the days of all clubs having different nets, like Spurs and their super hard spring goals, the goals at Smellhurst always stood out too

Do you remember West Ham and QPR?.They were really shallow and the ball used to hit the net and bounce out again!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
they were metal not wood :thumbsup:

edit: unless you were bing FUNNY then I missed that....DOH! :lolol:

Oh dear, let's not start this again. The Goldstone goalposts were most definitely wooden. They probably aren't these days though.

this is the goldstone my fatballboy

Attachments

• scan0026.jpg
    scan0026.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 418

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Do you remember West Ham and QPR?.They were really shallow and the ball used to hit the net and bounce out again!

and the ones at Highfield Road Coventry where the ball did infact go in and bounce out again depriving Clive Allen (who was playing for the 'team of the 80's) a perfectly good goal.

The next day, Jimmy Hill who was also Chairman of COventry had to review and comment on the incident on Match of the Day (when it was on Sunday afternoons).

[yt]8OIZ7AKvNpA&feature=related[/yt]

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Oh dear, let's not start this again. The Goldstone goalposts were most definitely wooden. They probably aren't these days though.

really? when I saw them close up I remember them being shaped liked a squashed circle (if cut in half) meaning the ball had more deflection into the goal or something, also a tinny sound when I tapped on them.....thats not wood!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports