[TV] The Goes Wrong Show

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's fantastic. They've done a Christmas show for the last couple of years on BBC One too as a feature length thing, this is their first series.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Well I did give them a try. Downloaded three off iplayer. Gave each one five minutes and sorry, just not our style of comedy. Giggled at the curtains pulling back to reveal the court scene, but that's it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's fantastic. They've done a Christmas show for the last couple of years on BBC One too as a feature length thing, this is their first series.

Indeed. We were all quite pleased that it has turned into a series as we watch it as a family on a Saturday evening.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Think it works far better on stage, TBH, but am still enjoying the TV shows (although not watched the court one yet). I've seen The Play That Goes Wrong at least twice, The Bank Robbery That Goes Wrong (not quite as good as The Play), Groan Ups (a recent one they did which diverted from the format but was performed by the same actors), and their new one, Magic Goes Wrong, which is a collaboration with Penn & Teller and is excellent. There's a few (video) cameos from other magicians too in it. It opened in London recently, and I'd recommend it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think its very marmite sort of comedy.

Few years back went to see The Play That Goes Wrong with my Australian girlfriend. I found it hilarious she just sat their bemused why everyone was laughing. Its daft British slapstick humour. If you don't like that then you won't like it.

Bank Robbery is ok, probably less silly likewise Peter Pan. I haven't been to see the newish one yet.

As for the TV show I think its been pretty good. The court one last week was probably the best out of three so far IMO.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'd forgotten I'd seen the Peter Pan one! Thanks for the reminder - thought there was one I was missing in my list. That production seemed to further increase the obvious skill the performers have in making everything look so spontaneous and calamitous - it was quite an elaborate, revolving set, and to perform the slapstick/set falling apart/that sort of thing with the quality they do, must take a LOT of rehearsal and skill.

As you say, pretty Marmite as a concept, but not least they are good as a family show.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Oh and if anyone goes to see any of the Mischief Theatre productions (they are the ones who do all these) live, try to get into your seats at the theatre early as there is normally some malarkey afoot well before the production starts...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Expected and hoped it to be much funnier than it was. Watched a couple of episodes and quite amusing but not laugh-out-loud funny.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Totally agreed..seen two so far and the one last week with the court was genius.

I think it is a play in the west end also isn’t it?

But yes, the right on brigade will hate it, but those of us who just want a damn good laugh will love it.

As a fully paid-up member of the right-on brigade, I would like to make it known that I p*ssed myself laughing at this show.

Also, if you like this sort of thing you should go and see a Spymonkey production at some point.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
As a fully paid-up member of the right-on brigade, I would like to make it known that I p*ssed myself laughing at this show.

Also, if you like this sort of thing you should go and see a Spymonkey production at some point.
Thanks for the tip-off, [MENTION=21409]Big_Unit[/MENTION]. They've got no UK shows currently announced but will keep an eye out. Based in Brighton so of course good to support a local business!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports