Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The glass animal man

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
He used to have a kiosk on the right hand side at the bottom of the steps at the aquarium before moving to Queens Road. Yes, hours of free entertainment. I remember him being on What's My Line with Eamon Andrews.

When I was a young lad, my Mum and Dad took me to see that programme being made at the BBC Theatre in Shepherds Bush. He beat the panel.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How weird, only this week I walked past where his shop was and thought about all those times I watched him through the window. Sadly it's now a supermarket.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Doesn't look like the man I remember from the 60s. Ah well.

Brighton_Glass__Modeller_1980s.jpg

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Crikey, I used to watch him for hours on our big day trips to Brighton with my old mum as a kid from far away Worthing. That and a hot dog down by the pier and then the 31 bus home from Pool Valley. Such vivid memories that brings back.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thanks for that :thumbsup:
Found a nice article on there about my grandfather, Ernie Johnstone's Miniature Coaches, and hopefully will be able to get in touch with family I haven't seen for the better part of half a century!

In Brighton, East Sussex, we see a 4-year-old boy called Ernest Johnstone getting into the tiny, one-man bus his father has made for him.

(middle part of video)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In Brighton, East Sussex, we see a 4-year-old boy called Ernest Johnstone getting into the tiny, one-man bus his father has made for him.

(middle part of video)

Thankyou so much! Never seen that newsreel. If my uncle Ernie was 4 that must be about 1932. My grandad gave up busdriving in '36 and set up the mini coaches at Peter Pans.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thankyou so much! Never seen that newsreel. If my uncle Ernie was 4 that must be about 1932. My grandad gave up busdriving in '36 and set up the mini coaches at Peter Pans.

No probs, I always find it interesting when bits of local history and knowledge come up on NSC. Great miniature vehicles.

I hope your uncle isn't the NSC Ernest :)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a trip down memory lane the glass animal man was.

Like many, I thought he was older, but I guess I was a lot younger. Christ on a bike he looks my age. Is how I'm seen by 8 year olds the way I saw him? If so, I've only a few years to live!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here