Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's obvious now that there is a mandate to "Get Brexit Done". Strong and Stable was a terrible motto and pretty much the opposite of what transpired. As a remainer I accept that I lost the referendum, though I do not accept that it was fought fairly. Here, though, the British people have doubled down on it, especially in working class areas, and it is time to get the withdrawal agreement through and move on.

I'm not exactly delighted by the prospect of a Johnson governament but I would have been just as scared of a Corbyn government. It is time for that loser to move on and take his bully boys and anti-semites with him. Time for Labour to move back to the centre left, ready to pick the pieces back up if and when Boris screws it up. But, for now, it is also time for some stability and certainty. The markets like the result and they are rarely wrong.

So, while we've not seen eye to eye, enjoy your victory, because the country now has a clear direction. It may not be one I agree with 100% but it is clear, it is democratic, and it is overwhelming.

Let’s all get back to what is collectively important which is The Albion, and mostly beating the filth up the road on Monday [emoji106][emoji122]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The funny thing is momentum types saying the policies are popular, it was Corbyn or it was Brexit. Deluded beyond belief. Keep the same policies and they are out of power until the Tories **** up. Which maybe their strategy

Guardian noted the number of policies were too much on the door step, overwhelming. one comment from a union leader was it was a programme for 10 years rather than one election.

contrast to Conservatives manifesto which was about one budgets worth of policy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
- At the end of this term the Tories will have been in power for 15 years at which point they'll be unable to blame Labour anymore (yes, I am this gullible)

There was an interesting fact on the BBC last night, I think from Sir John, that no party that has started from so far behind as Labour will at the next GE has won. So you can turn your 15 years into 20.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
"Evans sighed when asked if he liked Johnson.

I think he’s the best of a bad bunch but it’s brilliant that the town has turned blue. It’s been Labour for too long. We need a change. Things can’t get worse."

Who wants to be the one to break it to him?

Grizzle, grizzle, grizzle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought the same about Trump, but look how that's turned out. Like Trump, Johnson is a narcissist. He wants to be loved. When people turn on him he will retreat into the echo chamber of those who love him, and give them what they want

I disagree. I don't think Boris cares less about being loved. He's a psychopath rather than a narcissist. He's like a bloke I work with. Could not give a stuff if his lies are found out.

However, I'm not sure what does actually motivate Boris. Getting his leg over?

We shall see, won't we.

I don't think Trump cares about being loved either, to be fair. But he absolutely does not tolerate being crossed. I'm not sure that Boris is vindictive. To me the two men are very different.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The lack of introspection by many of the left wing voters is incredible. But keep it up and prepare for another humiliation in 5 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's an interesting take on the matter; I hope you are wrong, but I think it was Corbyn's primary objective to change the Labour Party permanently and staying on temporarily till that is achieved is probably his best option.... It will mean conceding the middle ground but he is an ideologue and I think he is prepared to pay the price of Labour remaining out of power for many years, if not ever, to make that happen..... I think he is a conviction politician, an activist but I fear his intransigence will be damaging.....

Nobody has corrected me yet....present labour process as far as I know is that to get on a leadership election ballot the MP needs the signature of 50 MPs. You can't get on the ballot without this. So Corbyn can't nominate a successor, and the membership can't either.

If this is still the case, labour will end up with someone decent. If it is no longer the case it will be another momentum tosser....because the membership is overwhelmingly 'Corbynist'. We saw what happened in their previous leadership elections.

Corbyn seems to be trying to work out how to preserve his 'legacy'. This is where the old left come into their own - manipulating constitutions so they can control their internal process. And, of course, no compromise with the electorate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not as erudite as usual.....

Its your remarkably inarticulate volte face which has made me smile.

I can't remember how you annoyed me yesterday, but if it was petty triumphalism or sneering, or an implication that I am a genuine Corbyn supporter, then I would have been unappreciative.

Anyway, it is another day. I expected this result so I am hardly disappointed. It is what it is :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nobody has corrected me yet....present labour process as far as I know is that to get on a leadership election ballot the MP needs the signature of 50 MPs. You can't get on the ballot without this. So Corbyn can't nominate a successor, and the membership can't either.

If this is still the case, labour will end up with someone decent. If it is no longer the case it will be another momentum tosser....because the membership is overwhelmingly 'Corbynist'. We saw what happened in their previous leadership elections.

Corbyn seems to be trying to work out how to preserve his 'legacy'. This is where the old left come into their own - manipulating constitutions so they can control their internal process. And, of course, no compromise with the electorate.
If Labour wants to stay unelectable forever that is their right.

Trouble is it provides no balance to the Torys who could forever do what they want.

It'll be more and more important to have a vote in the Tory leadership contest going forward. I might join soon, just to have a say in who the next PM is.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I couldn't possibly guess who Rick voted for !

It shouldn't really matter. Anyone who thinks a system which calls itself democracy yet can change so enormously on such a small number of votes is absolutely fine and dandy needs to have a word with themselves.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fair play. I know a fair few on here really wanted this result and you must be happy. Who wouldn’t be if their team won.
I’ll rail against Brexit til the end as I don’t believe it was a democratic vote but this? It was fair and procedure was followed. The people spoke.
I worry with Johnson in charge but I appreciate your post.

I didn’t want it but frankly Labour are delusional.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
If Labour wants to stay unelectable forever that is their right.

Trouble is it provides no balance to the Torys who could forever do what they want.

It'll be more and more important to have a vote in the Tory leadership contest going forward. I might join soon, just to have a say in who the next PM is.

Unfortunately, The Tories will have to branch out and do something about climate change, Their paymaster may scoff, but we are running out of time.

This Tory manifesto, is devoid of any ambition, economically, climatically, and socially.

It is what it is. And what it it is, is a glorified slogan, giving them the chance to push the many things in the manifesto the "get brexit done" voters don't know about through the back door.

Judicial review of laws politics - gone. Workers rights reduced. Human rights reduced. Climate change - no action.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The lack of introspection by many of the left wing voters is incredible. But keep it up and prepare for another humiliation in 5 years.

Introspection? Well, it's clear that the leadership aren't up to much, and that people need a figurehead to rally around. Beyond that, I suppose I'm heartened that 55% of people voted for a left of centre party, but in our system, that's not enough.

You can couple that with some fury that a party getting a minority of the votes now has free rein to do whatever it wants, especially on a flagship policy where the parties representing the 55% are united in their opposition.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Guardian noted the number of policies were too much on the door step, overwhelming. one comment from a union leader was it was a programme for 10 years rather than one election.

contrast to Conservatives manifesto which was about one budgets worth of policy.

Nonsense.

Are you saying that 1 budget will result in 40 “new” hospitals, 20,000 more police officers and 50,000 more nurses?

Those are the only things that stuck from their campaign apart from the obvious one line slogan. :shrug:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

currently require 15% of the MPs, so 30. and they could change the rules before an election if they (the momentum led leadership) dont think they'll get their woman on the ballot.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Surprised the majority was so large tbh although expected a majority of some kind. Its no great surprise in my opinion labour have lost so many seats. They have had 1 elected prim minister in past 50 years and this one has been one of the worst leaders they have had. You can’t win an election by alienating your hard core seats and frankly got what they deserved. It’s a party currently without identity and that’s what has cost them.
So brexit in the hands of Boris. Not perfect either but I think he will make it happen. After that who knows

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Nonsense.

Are you saying that 1 budget will result in 40 “new” hospitals, 20,000 more police officers and 50,000 more nurses?

Those are the only things that stuck from their campaign apart from the obvious one line slogan. :shrug:

exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here