Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The gap between Newcastle (a) and B'muff (h) games

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
The players get a private plane to most away games. Even got one to Norwich last year. How times have changed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's nothing. Portslade had to play back to back games last season, a 1pm kick off followed by a 3pm kick off to get fixtures played! Legend has it they started the same 11 in both games, and lost both handsomely.

Any advances on a 3 hour gap between matches kicking off?!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's nothing. Portslade had to play back to back games last season, a 1pm kick off followed by a 3pm kick off to get fixtures played! Legend has it they started the same 11 in both games, and lost both handsomely.

That's a 2 hour gap.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Any advances on a 2 hour gap between matches kicking off?!

Two hours....LUXURY. Once we had to kick-off one match 5 minutes after the first on parallel pitches, whilst finishing the penalties from the earlier morning fixture.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
We're not the only ones... Tottenham have Swansea on Tuesday 2nd Jan at 19:45 and West ham on 4th at 20:00... Admittedly, not a lot of travelling for it though.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

My daughter’s field hockey team had to play 3 games in the space of 6 hours one Saturday to finish up the league. Guess what? They’re not even professional athletes and still managed it - this was 80F heat with humidity. Craziness I tell you.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
20 - 30 years ago when i was first watching, well after they stopped playing Christmas Day

That’s what I was thinking ..I started watching in 1969

I guess it’s what you consider recent ...for me the game is far different today ..and the fixture list hasn’t been kind to us in having to play our furthest away game and then a home game two days later, with the kick off brought forward..of course there is the argument that first team squads are far larger..you get the chance of three subs etc so maybe things are easier ...but with Bournemouth at home on the Saturday they must be delighted they only have a trip along the coast

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
No longer fly from Gatwick

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

If you mean scheduled flights then that is correct. However, the team get private planes so you can fly to and from wherever you want within reason.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
It was quite a long time ago though, wasn't it?
Half a century or so
I recall going to the Den (Millwall) on Good Friday, 1-3😭The Goldstone Saturday, cannot remember against who but we drew, then away at the Recreation ground (Aldershot Easter Monday) circa 1975 so no not 50 years, pedantic I know but !!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I recall going to the Den (Millwall) on Good Friday, 1-3��The Goldstone Saturday, cannot remember against who but we drew, then away at the Recreation ground (Aldershot Easter Monday) circa 1975 so no not 50 years, pedantic I know but !!

Millwall vs Brighton on the Friday (1-3), Aldershot vs Brighton on the Saturday (1-1) and Brighton vs Gillingham on the Monday (1-1). 1976 season.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
25 Dec 1951 Crystal Palace v Brighton and Hove Albion W 1-2 Division Three (South)
26 Dec 1951 Brighton and Hove Albion v Crystal Palace W 4-3 Division Three (South)

Merry Christmas 1951!!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Going to be a dilemma for CH,as they are both pretty important. Guess he will tweak against Chelsea, play as strong as poss in these two games and then make 11 changes for Palace in the Cup.

el punal

I recall going to the Den (Millwall) on Good Friday, 1-3��The Goldstone Saturday, cannot remember against who but we drew, then away at the Recreation ground (Aldershot Easter Monday) circa 1975 so no not 50 years, pedantic I know but !!

Nearly right! Millwall away on Good Friday (lost 1-3), Aldershot away on Saturday (1-1), Gillingham home Easter Monday (1-1). A whole raft of draws at the end of the season cost us promotion. Made up for it next time with Mullers though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here