Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
So a great Olympics for GB comes to an end.

If it were a hypothetical toss-up between winning the Euros and doing well in the Olympics, I'd take the latter every time.

Great for the whole 4 countries, not just the football supporters of one of them.

After all, sport's more than just football.

GB - 27 Gold, 23 Silver, 17 Bronze
Portugal - 1 Bronze

Last edited:

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
It's going to be seriously tough to improve on this medal haul EVER... We've witnessed something incredibly special over these last couple of weeks :bowdown: :salute:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Too right: bloody loved it (other than the time difference for the athletics).

Brilliant to see how much the (unpaid) Olympic Golds meant to Murray and especially Justin Rose (word from the camp was Rose was massively supportive of everyone there a week before it all started and stayed after his event finished just to be part of it all. Hope McIlroy was watching). Neither of them needed to be there, it's not the pinnacle of their sports.

So a great Olympics for GB comes to an end.

If it were a hypothetical toss-up between winning the Euros and doing well in the Olympics, I'd take the latter every time.

Great for the whole 4 countries, not just the football supporters of one of them.

After all, sport's more than just football.

GB - 27 Gold, 23 Silver, 17 Bronze
Portugal - 1 Bronze

I would take this Olympics over any football triumph for England or The Albion tbh! Not many a day gone by without tears during this Olympics.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought in the French guy's semi-final in the boxing the judges got it wrong and it looks like they did again tonight.

Pathetic.

Other than that, what a fantastic Olympics. Well done to Team GB - some very strong performances there and some decent prospects for the future.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought Rio put on a great games, shame no one turned up to watch it apart from the tourists.

As for Team GB, a better medal haul, medals in more sports, even the swimmers performed. I see no reason why this can't continue in Tokyo, bring it on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's pissing down in Rio at the closing ceremony, I'm only watching in case one of the performers gets electrocuted.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm only up to see the Tokyo bit. I'm interested, as my brother lives in Japan and I'm tempted to go. Trouble is I've got a meeting in the City at 1000, at which I'll be a lot of good when I have to speak. I know, though, that if I record it I'll probably never watch it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Watching team rhythmic gymnastics - it's like watching 5 Knockhaerts playing football at the same time
Meh, it's a circus act not a sport. You wait, they'll add lion taming next. Wonder if we can win that?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I thought Rio put on a great games, shame no one turned up to watch it apart from the tourists.

As for Team GB, a better medal haul, medals in more sports, even the swimmers performed. I see no reason why this can't continue in Tokyo, bring it on.

I saw Bill Sweeney interviewed this morning on Sky News saying it will be very tough to emulate this in Tokyo. He said the host nation will be competitive across all sports, the Chinese will want a much better performance as it's in Asia, Russia will be back in full, Australia can't keep under-performing etc

It'll be interesting to see what happens in 4 years time. I enjoyed these games though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I saw Bill Sweeney interviewed this morning on Sky News saying it will be very tough to emulate this in Tokyo. He said the host nation will be competitive across all sports, the Chinese will want a much better performance as it's in Asia, Russia will be back in full, Australia can't keep under-performing etc

It'll be interesting to see what happens in 4 years time. I enjoyed these games though.

On the other side of the coin, more rigorous drug-testing could hamper Russia and China, while a spread of medals across a broader range of sports for GB will attract greater funding and, hence, better training facilities for Team GB.

I agree that - US apart - the rest of the world will catch up with us a bit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm at a bit of a loose end today. :down:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm at a bit of a loose end today. :down:

attachment.php

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On the other side of the coin, more rigorous drug-testing could hamper Russia and China, while a spread of medals across a broader range of sports for GB will attract greater funding and, hence, better training facilities for Team GB.

I agree that - US apart - the rest of the world will catch up with us a bit.
Interested to read an article this morning about team GB and how they work on an 8 year cycle. Athletes are already training for Tokyo, facilities being identified there etc etc.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
How much would you need to save for two weeks over the Tokyo Olympics? 3-4k? I guess the whole world economy might be different by then!!

I would love to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here