Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Friday Debate - Brown Sauce?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
WARNING - controversial message incoming.

For years, I assumed the best and only ketchup is Heinz.

Not so. Tiptree is a level above.

P.S. Bacon sandwiches don't need sauce. What they do need though is mushrooms. A classic combo, like Estupinan and Mitoma, or Gilmour and Gross.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
WARNING - controversial message incoming.

For years, I assumed the best and only ketchup is Heinz.

Not so. Tiptree is a level above.

P.S. Bacon sandwiches don't need sauce. What they do need though is mushrooms. A classic combo, like Estupinan and Mitoma, or Gilmour and Gross.
Tiptree? . . . more famous for making jams thans sauces!

I like bacon and l like mushrooms, but rarely together, unless it's part of a full English breakfast.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Whilst I would have brown sauce every time with a full english, or sausage sandwich or bacon sandwich... if I'm having a sausage in a finger roll at a BBQ (even if it's EXACTLY the same sausage), I have tomato ketchup. Weird.

As others have said, it's very good with scrambled eggs too (need to still be runny, but not snotty). On the subject of eggs... fried eggs liberally sprinkled with chipotle chili flakes as soon as they are cracked into the pan, cooked on a high heat so the edges get crispy, but with just enough basting of the yolk to cook the snot, but leave a runny yolk. Pop them on toast and then splash a load of the green tabasco sauce over them... with a long black (not too much water) on the side, it's HEAVEN.

Despite apparently being pernickety, I'm not too fussed about the brown sauce brand - I'd struggle to tell the difference between HP & Daddies to be honest. Stokes do a decent one, but when shopping for it, I'll just go for whichever is on offer / cheapest.

I do like spreading one slice of the bread with brown sauce in a toasted cheese sandwich (before toasting). It tastes like a toasted cheese & pickle sarnie, but without any lumpy pickle.

Sorry @Pogue Mahone, I don't want to yuck your yum (each to their own), but brown sauce with lasagne sounds pretty offensive to my tastebuds. Do you have it with spaghetti bolognese too? :kiss:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
A) Brown sauce is he best sauce for a fry up

B) HP is the king of brown saucxes

C) That knock off off-brand brown sauce you get in certain greasy spoons IS actually delicious in it's own right.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
On bacon and sausage sarnies? What about a full english?

Note to self: never go to Cheshire Cats for breakfast
That's obviously mustard and ketchup.

Lucky to get dry burnt toast for breakfast in this house.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry @Pogue Mahone, I don't want to yuck your yum (each to their own), but brown sauce with lasagne sounds pretty offensive to my tastebuds. Do you have it with spaghetti bolognese too? :kiss:
sorry to jump in here, but actually marmite really works in a stew/bolognese. Some will say sacrilege, I say delicious

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Whilst I would have brown sauce every time with a full english, or sausage sandwich or bacon sandwich... if I'm having a sausage in a finger roll at a BBQ (even if it's EXACTLY the same sausage), I have tomato ketchup. Weird.

As others have said, it's very good with scrambled eggs too (need to still be runny, but not snotty). On the subject of eggs... fried eggs liberally sprinkled with chipotle chili flakes as soon as they are cracked into the pan, cooked on a high heat so the edges get crispy, but with just enough basting of the yolk to cook the snot, but leave a runny yolk. Pop them on toast and then splash a load of the green tabasco sauce over them... with a long black (not too much water) on the side, it's HEAVEN.

Despite apparently being pernickety, I'm not too fussed about the brown sauce brand - I'd struggle to tell the difference between HP & Daddies to be honest. Stokes do a decent one, but when shopping for it, I'll just go for whichever is on offer / cheapest.

I do like spreading one slice of the bread with brown sauce in a toasted cheese sandwich (before toasting). It tastes like a toasted cheese & pickle sarnie, but without any lumpy pickle.

Yes, I am aware that it’s an esoteric choice, and no, definitely not with spaghetti bolognaise…or indeed any other pasta based meal.

I also insist on having peas with lasagne. It is what it is.

Your fried egg ‘recipe’ sounds right up my street. I’ll be giving that a go this weekend.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
sorry to jump in here, but actually marmite really works in a stew/bolognese. Some will say sacrilege, I say delicious
Yes, agreed. As does a splosh of port. Ever cooked mushrooms in a marmite-inspired gravy? Sensational with steak.

Apologies for going off-topic.

Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for Tiptree although the Waitrose own brand is also fairly decent.

I can also recommend Stokes Bloody Mary ketchup in sandwiches.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just had a lovely bacon sarnie to get rid of the end of the hangover from yesterday's session. With, of course, brown sauce. We currently have Daddies in, though HP is more than acceptable too.

My daughter (who normally has a good palate and isn't a fussy eater) recently tried some on a CHIP and declared that it was 'basically just vinegar' and 'minging'. Having just checked the ingredients the number one is, indeed, spirit vinegar.

So, are you a fan? If so what on (bacon and sausage sarnies for me and with a FulL EnGlisH)? HP or Daddies? Any supermarket own GEMS out there or are they all the vinegariest of the basically just vinegar?

???

You could have saved posting this thread until the next international break 🤣🤣

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yep, I've added marmite instead of a stock cube if/when I've run out. Works a treat to add a bit of depth & umami :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never touch Brown sauce

Bacon sandwiches and full English do not require any sauce.

For sausage sandwiches I have a light squirt of Heinz ketchup.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can’t stand brown sauce, ketchup every time for me

Agreed on Tiptree though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nah - not me - flakey ketchup person - Bacon Roll at Pease Pottage after match (and following a pleasant few tipples in the Focus Lounge) and one this morning en route home - both with ketchup 😛

Edit - but at home never ketchup - french mustard every time
The good thing about these threads is it outs the wrong ‘uns.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just had a lovely bacon sarnie to get rid of the end of the hangover from yesterday's session. With, of course, brown sauce. We currently have Daddies in, though HP is more than acceptable too.

My daughter (who normally has a good palate and isn't a fussy eater) recently tried some on a CHIP and declared that it was 'basically just vinegar' and 'minging'. Having just checked the ingredients the number one is, indeed, spirit vinegar.

So, are you a fan? If so what on (bacon and sausage sarnies for me and with a FulL EnGlisH)? HP or Daddies? Any supermarket own GEMS out there or are they all the vinegariest of the basically just vinegar?

???
As a kid hated it for whatever reason but from about 25 (60 next year) onwards it trumps ketchup every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here