Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The French are at it again.... want UK credit rating to be downgraded before theirs

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
So much for the so called entente cordiale. According to BBC news those Froggies are slagging us off again 'cos a key international credit agency has (so far) accepted our deficit reduction plan but warned the French they may get downgraded.....in retaliation the French want us downgraded first.

When buying your Xmas booze do think twice before buying champagne or that nice bottle of French wine.

It's buy British for this household until further notice. Got to do out bit to support our economy.

Doesn't bode well for closer collaboration between our armed forces including sharing those new aircraft carriers.....we might need them to sort out the French navy again.

To quote a well known national stereotype: flipping garlic eating surrender monkeys. No doubt they have something equally complimentary to describe us.

larus

So much for the so called entente cordiale. According to BBC news those Froggies are slagging us off again 'cos a key international credit agency has (so far) accepted our deficit reduction plan but warned the French they may get downgraded.....in retaliation the French want us downgraded first.

When buying your Xmas booze do think twice before buying champagne or that nice bottle of French wine.

It's buy British for this household until further notice. Got to do out bit to support our economy.

Doesn't bode well for closer collaboration between our armed forces including sharing those new aircraft carriers.....we might need them to sort out the French navy again.

To quote a well known national stereotype: flipping garlic eating surrender monkeys. No doubt they have something equally complimentary to describe us.

When I saw this headline earlier today, my initial reaction was f*** 'em. However, I think it's a sign of their desperation. Their dream to sponge off other countries in Europe and benefit via the Euro Gravy Train, e.g. the CAP, is unravelling before their eyes. This latest agreement, which no-one seems to know exactly WHAT has been agreed, is already being seen as another round of hyperbole. Some countries are saying that whatever happens it will have to go to their parliaments (which will takes many months), but the Euro doesn't have months. 2012/13 are going to be really messy financially. Grim......

Before any twats start slagging off the Tories, the damage was done over many years, and whatever plans were put in place post the election would have had little impact as the external effects are what is causing the current slowdown. The problem with the West is too much accumulated debt.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Maybe, just maybe, they should have thought about this when they were lending billions to Greece and turning a blind eye to the rule breaking by Greece !

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They will have to watch out for their wine/champagne exports if people get the impression that the Frogs are using sour grapes!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
They'll be called Germany soon if Merkel gets her way anyhow....and have a German credit rating, so maybe they should be happy they get a rating at all at the moment...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a demonstration, if it were needed, of precisely why we should not have Brussels appointed and controled rating agencies as some Frenchman suggested recently.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why are the French so bitter towards us? The French politicians seem to walk round with a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to the UK. Over the last couple of weeks there's been some ridiculously childish comments towards us.

If I was in charge I'd drag every soldier back from the middle east tomorrow to prepare for normandy landings mk2. Lets face it, in times of economic and political turmoil the best way to iron everything out is an honest to goodness INVASION

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
How many Frenchmen buried in England?
There's f***ing thousands of English buried in France. Very short memories

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I love France. Worked there for a while and met 100's of lovely French people.

That being said they really can piss off with this one.

Agree entirely tho it does show how desperate they are.

Eventually somebody has gotta out their hand up and say "Europe is broken. The concept is inherently flawed"

Only then can we start to unravel this mess.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Why are the French so bitter towards us? The French politicians seem to walk round with a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to the UK. Over the last couple of weeks there's been some ridiculously childish comments towards us.

If I was in charge I'd drag every soldier back from the middle east tomorrow to prepare for normandy landings mk2. Lets face it, in times of economic and political turmoil the best way to iron everything out is an honest to goodness INVASION

The French and other Euros don't understand why we don't automatically want to form a happy family, and maybe it is a subconcious thing on our part as we are an island, but others eeem to accept this union with no questions, going as far as agreeing to deals even when all the details have not been worked out yet. My feeling is that the French and especially the Germans don't really want to go ahead without us being involved, we are very useful to them, and I suspect even though we didn't sign up to this treaty, the will be a softening of stances on both sides and allowing us to become involved, maybe on our terms, although no-one will want it to look like a U-turn, so it will get called something else.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The French and other Euros don't understand why we don't automatically want to form a happy family, and maybe it is a subconcious thing on our part as we are an island, but others eeem to accept this union with no questions, going as far as agreeing to deals even when all the details have not been worked out yet. My feeling is that the French and especially the Germans don't really want to go ahead without us being involved, we are very useful to them, and I suspect even though we didn't sign up to this treaty, the will be a softening of stances on both sides and allowing us to become involved, maybe on our terms, although no-one will want it to look like a U-turn, so it will get called something else.

A few years back an x British Brussels worker said part of the reason Britain is looked on so badly by the EU is when we see new laws/rules/treaties we automatically go through them & say this won't work or this is a bad idea, it would be better if you did this.. The rest of the EU just says 'great idea' & later, as the details are worked out, they say 'No don't like that' or just ignore the rules & carry on to suit themselves. Also you are quite right, the Germans & the French probably both want us on side to counteract the other. Many areas of France are 'No go areas' for Germans where the locals will spit at their cars & even throw stones at them (I have a friend who lives in one such town). I'm convinced that with French politician it's a case of 'keep your enemies closer', which is why they are in bed with the Germans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here