[Albion] The flare and the penalty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No excuses, a shit penalty. He never looked like scoring, zero conviction. He was poor in open play too, not a good night or few months for Gross.

Spot on mate, exactly what we said in the ground.

Also let’s not give those spotty herberts the credit they desperately seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Completely agree! I would say why is Gross in starting eleven in the first place! Baffling!

He’s been a faithful servant to the club over many seasons now but with Caicedo and Sarmiento waiting in the wings his time must almost be up. Nothing newsworthy there, as there’s been an entire thread in it. Disappointing as tonight’s performance was, he’s well in credit.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
His time is up, penalty miss or not. It felt like we had ten when he was on the pitch, great servant for us but time to go.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The flair had nothing to do with it and if it did fair play. Was just crap. Don’t know why Maupay wasn’t given it. It is what it is though. Season summer up again in a game.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes Gross did a poor penalty, but there's a flare just been thrown at you, that's still going off a few meters from the goal.

How has the ref concluded everything is fine, and safe, and to play on? :mad:

Because he is sensible, and not a whining fan looking for excuses.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
At least 3 players should’ve been ahead of Gross to take it. I don’t care if he’s scored 122 pens in training this week. You DO NOT put a rusty, out of form player on a pen like that.

If Maupay had blasted that into row z I’d have accepted it. But that miss was just so obviously going the happen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes Gross did a poor penalty, but there's a flare just been thrown at you, that's still going off a few meters from the goal.

How has the ref concluded everything is fine, and safe, and to play on? :mad:

You'd like to think the stewards would have access to a good old-fashioned fire bucket or something, instead of just letting the flare burn away merrily at the side of the pitch while the penalty gets taken. Where's the joined-up thinking?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Poor pen but he’s been our best penalty taker over the last few years, it was right for him to take it. I doubt he’ll take another one now, MacAllister should be the man from now on.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I thought he was taken off pens because he’d missed a few?

Can’t remember to be honest. I would guess his record is probably 8 out of 10 ish which is fine, you can’t score them all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There were so many phones lit up by Palace fans when the penalty was being taken I assumed they thought they were at a Coldplay concert.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
As I e said before potter chose the starting line up which included gross . Would of already been decided that he would take it
Our spot kicks record in the prem on the whole have been a behind the sofa watch . And that’s all down to potter and coaching or lack of practice

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I actually quite liked the flare. It's a bit old skool and football is becoming to bland and sterile for my liking with everyone being outraged at the slightest break from the centre line.

Flares and toilet rolls should be brought back.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I actually quite liked the flare. It's a bit old skool and football is becoming to bland and sterile for my liking with everyone being outraged at the slightest break from the centre line.

Flares and toilet rolls should be brought back.

Agree with this, lots of comments yet and there’s been flares at most Brighton away games this season….or the ones we’ve actually scored in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports