Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ferdinands

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You seem to be stressing that he was only replying to (and endorsing) a racist tweet, does this make it less serious than the spoken word in your opinion ?

Depends on the context.

And, just to clarify, when I said I'd be pissed off with a £1k fine, I meant I'd consider myself punished - NOT that I didn't deserve it. BG doesn't consider £45k a punishment.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
You seem to have difficulty understanding the point that I and other posters have made, racism isn't a serious problem in football anymore , certainly not enough to warrant fools like the ferdinand brother setting up a racially exclusive players association , certainly not enough of a problem to need "combating".

It sounds like you're letting your own personal feelings about Rio get in the way of your thoughts on a black players' association.Let's just agree to disagree on this. In my opinion if black players feel that not enough is being done to protect them from racism, then why not try to do more about it.

In 10 years time I think we might be in a position where football players will be open about their sexuality, and we're going to go through the same with them as we did in the early days of black players. They will take a lot of abuse on and off the pitch no doubt. You could very well see a separate association set up in support of them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Depends on the context.

And, just to clarify, when I said I'd be pissed off with a £1k fine, I meant I'd consider myself punished - NOT that I didn't deserve it. BG doesn't consider £45k a punishment.
You'd be pissed off with a £1k fine because it would hurt you, I doubt ferdinand even noticed the £45 k , as for whether tweeting is worse than the spoken word , part of my point is that you seem to be saying that you consider ferdinands crime less serious than terry's , not in my opinion , the only thing that makes it seem more serious is the use of the word c*nt, both, if you disbelive terry's explanation , were racial slurs.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
. In my opinion if black players feel that not enough is being done to protect them from racism, then why not try to do more about it.
I feel that there is inequality in access to social housing for white people compared to immigrants and asylum seekers , I also feel that there is a disproportionate amount of street crime in london carried out by young black males against elderly white people and that not enough is done to combat this , I know , I'll do more about it , why dont I start a pressure group, I think I'll call it the BNP.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I feel that there is inequality in access to social housing for white people compared to immigrants and asylum seekers , I also feel that there is a disproportionate amount of street crime in london carried out by young black males against elderly white people and that not enough is done to combat this , I know , I'll do more about it , why dont I start a pressure group, I think I'll call it the BNP.

Oh my.... I'm out of this conversation.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It sounds like you're letting your own personal feelings about Rio get in the way of your thoughts on a black players' association.Let's just agree to disagree on this. In my opinion if black players feel that not enough is being done to protect them from racism, then why not try to do more about it.

In 10 years time I think we might be in a position where football players will be open about their sexuality, and we're going to go through the same with them as we did in the early days of black players. They will take a lot of abuse on and off the pitch no doubt. You could very well see a separate association set up in support of them.

It doesnt make you a racist to question its validity nor make you more tolerant and inclusive to accept a body that might effect all of us that is involved in football just because those proposing it is black.

It needs good healthy debate and if as I suspect, then deemed a bad idea, there needs to be a firm and determined rebuke, without fear of those opposing it of being called a choc ice or racist.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Thats the point though isnt it?. Has there been alot done to combat racism in football? Arguably not.

An annual shirt and armband campaign? Really?

Lets be honest, society has changed (for the better). People now are more actively aware of discrimination, diversity and the like. It is everywhere we go, from jobs to schools. People nowadays are more accepting of people of all backgrounds whether that be skin colour or religion and so on. Go back 30 years , if you saw a woman walking down the street in full veil, it would probably have caught your attention, and have been the sort of thing that you would have mentioned to your mate down the pub in amazement.
Nowadays, you wouldnt bat an eye lid.

Todays society has brushed off onto football. Football hasnt brushed off onto society. Yes there are isolated incidents of racism in English grounds, but they are thankfully very few and far between. So has the "kick it out" camapign really done alot to stamp out racism in football? , I dont beleive so. I think that the camapaign has riden on the wave of the recent change in society's acceptance and integration of individuals of all races and monorities.

Very well reasoned post! I think the biggest step forward is that fans as a majority will not accept it now, so off the pitch it must be a lot less? And the Police will act on any racism reported, I don't know how different that would have been 20 years ago?

Whilst its great to celebrate how much the game has changed in its attitude towards racism and its non tolerance of it, whether that be down to the PFA or social changes or other reasons, all the time there are any instances of racism, anywhere in football, it needs to be dealt with.

As for whether the football and kick it out campaigns have impacted on society or not, I wonder if any people or how many could say even to themselves that they have changed their behaviour and attitude towards racism for the better over the last x number of years, due to racism being driven out of football??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The £120k is taxed, so £45k is not far off a week's wages.

If I was fined the equivilent - say, £1k - for merely replying to a Tweet I'd be pretty pissed off.

No where near as most players today are not paid a wage like you and I but they are registered as a company and a fee is paid to the company for their services. This is then subject to tax on the PROFIT that company makes after all deductible expenses are paid out.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Thats the point though isnt it?. Has there been alot done to combat racism in football? Arguably not.

An annual shirt and armband campaign? Really?

Lets be honest, society has changed (for the better). People now are more actively aware of discrimination, diversity and the like. It is everywhere we go, from jobs to schools. People nowadays are more accepting of people of all backgrounds whether that be skin colour or religion and so on. Go back 30 years , if you saw a woman walking down the street in full veil, it would probably have caught your attention, and have been the sort of thing that you would have mentioned to your mate down the pub in amazement.
Nowadays, you wouldnt bat an eye lid.

Todays society has brushed off onto football. Football hasnt brushed off onto society. Yes there are isolated incidents of racism in English grounds, but they are thankfully very few and far between. So has the "kick it out" camapign really done alot to stamp out racism in football? , I dont beleive so. I think that the camapaign has riden on the wave of the recent change in society's acceptance and integration of individuals of all races and monorities.

Could it have done much more if racism was on its way out anyway?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Depends on the context.

In the context of the amount he receives each week I consider£45k to be no more than a slapped wrist and an inconvenience as you and I would a parking fine. This will probably be entered on his accounts as an expenditure on something or another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here