Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Exhoribitant Price Of My Curry.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
last night i was going to grab a pizza. went into Papa Johns. They now only do a 10 slice pizza, prices ranging from £20 to £23 !!

no way was i paying that so walked 50 yards, picked up a gourmet pizza from Waitrose for under £6.

it’s not as if i’m sitting in a restaurant causing service, table clearing, plates, cutlery etc. PJs is a frigging takeaway.
Always do a google search for papa johns discount codes normally find one any size £9.99 (collection only)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
First meal out since lockdown a couple of weeks ago at The Bridge Shoreham. Beef for me, cod and chips for the Mrs with a pint and a half for just under £50. £79 does sound like OTT.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Indian at pevensey bay last night wanted £8.95 for onion bharjis , christ have never paid that much and never did , 3 Currys , 4 rice, 2 sides , 5 pints and a coke . £102 not including service . Ouch

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Takeaway of 2 starters, 2 curries, 2 naans, 2 rices and a side for £40-45. Large portions means enough for breakfast or lunch the next day also.

Although, this is not in Sussex.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I went to a few curry places when I was back.
The one near my sister in laws in St Leonards was gash, like soup with 4 x small bits of meat in, pricey crap.
Popped into Nooris after a night on the piss with friends and that was good.
Went to a place off the seafront near the Old Stene lanes with the wife which was pretentious and none of the curries on the menu were recognisable.
We gave it a go and decided that it would be our only visit there.
The one that could not be beaten was the Empire Tandoori on the Lewes Rd near Sainsburys.
Best curry ever, chicken madras, bombay potatoes and a plain nan.
I had 8 curries in all when I was back and 5 were from the Empire Tandoori with a free delivery.
Over here madras has coconut in it and tastes like shit, coconuts, apples and raisins should be nowhere near a curry in my book.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me and the Doris are quite regular patrons of the Indian Cottage in Shoreham. Always found it decent value there, but whenever we have a starters and a curry each, we invariably end up taking a whole load of it home with us.

Both of us are absolute SUCKERS for the lime pickle / mint sauce / onion / chutney carousel with a few papadums. So now, we just PIG OUT on that for (effectively) our starters, then order 1 curry to share between us with rice and some sides. A glass or two of wine, a couple of draft Cobras, and the bill comes in south of £40. Both of us are well stuffed after that, and we don't have the rigmarole of doggie bags.

I just find I can't tuck away the papdums+starter+main+sides any more, so ditching the starter, going big on the carousel and sharing a curry with a couple of sides works out just right for us., and saves a packet on the bill.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
A few years ago minimum wage was about 6 quid and a pizza was 12-13, now it’s 10 quid and a pizza is 20-23. Sounds about right but F that for me coming back to UK. Had my Indian chicken main, 2 veggie dishes (hard to call them sides), 2 breads and a huge simple rice and cost me 12 quid. Fed me and the wife last night watching the footie plus is gonna either be the biggest lunch ever for me today or more likely 2 packed lunches in the week. 4 big adult meals, 12 quid and bloody delish!

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I have never ordered take away pizza as I just think it's a complete rip off. Just do the sums on the ingredients. My Daughter worked in Pizza Hut & PJ'S and it's made using frozen processed ingredients.
With currys they are very cheap to make and it was always a cheap eat out so can't understand why they are charging £10-£15 a dish now. A breast of chicken costs about £2 and spices next to nothing.
It's a shame as I do like to eat out but choose where I do eat very carefully these days.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
2 + a mini selection of breads starter.

All portions were tiny. This point is being picked up online quite a bit, whereas they had had universal praise for many years.

To reiterate, we had been big fans, all the way back to their beginning in the late 90's. We're prepared to pay well for quality and a feeling of contentment.
Would that place start with the letter G ? If so then it used to be our favourite "can't be buggered to cook" place. Decent meal with wine around £80. Then we noticed prices going up, quality dropping and that the specials menu never changed - it used to be seasonal. So we changed to use a place in Boundary Road which is great value. We got talking to the owner of the new place, who used to work at the previous place, and he explained that gradually the owner started using more and more frozen ingredients and less fresh. Shame because the service was great and the owner a great laugh.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Last night, on whim, neither of us could be bothered to cook, Mrs. CS & I decided to pay our favourite curry house a visit, a restaurant many of you local to the Horsham will be well aware of, the Akash, we know one of the owners, and have been regular diners there since his late father owned it thirty odd years ago.

Anyway the point of all this is, l was really surprised to see how much the evening cost me. Neither of us ordered starters, we both simply had curries, a King Prawn Dhansak for me, Chicken Tikka Balti for the wife, a Lemon Rice each, two side dishes, a Saag Panner and a Brinjal Bhaji, a glass of wine each, then two coffeess at the end of the meal.

So bearing in mind we were basically just paying for two main courses, and a couple of drinks, no starters or desserts, the cost? a whopping £79.00. It really brought it home to me how quickly, and my how much, prices are incresing now. We ate at the very same restaurant no more than a couple of months ago and the bill was no more than £60 odd pounds then.

Plenty of people were willing to pay these prices though, everytable was taken last night, and as we exited a large group were waiting to be seated. Cost of living crisis? it doesn't exist in Horsham.
Is that possibly because Horsham doesn’t have the huge choice of restaurants that Brighton & Hove have & people that live out in the sticks but within a 20 minute drive of Horsham go there for restaurants.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Looking at their takeaway menu

chicken Tikka Balti £12.00
King Prawn Dhansak £`13.90
Lemon Rice 2x£4.80 = £9.60
Sag Paneer £5.20
Brinjal Bhahee £5.00

So £45.70 so the rest cost £33.30! Possibly two large glasses of wine at £10 each and coffees at £5.00

Of course their in house menu may have slightly higher prices and you don't say if the £79 included the tip!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Can’t remember the last time we had a takeaway.
Getting older has made my dear old tummy more sensitive as well as larger.
Couldn’t cope with curry, Chinese etc.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Last night, on whim, neither of us could be bothered to cook, Mrs. CS & I decided to pay our favourite curry house a visit, a restaurant many of you local to the Horsham will be well aware of, the Akash, we know one of the owners, and have been regular diners there since his late father owned it thirty odd years ago.

Anyway the point of all this is, l was really surprised to see how much the evening cost me. Neither of us ordered starters, we both simply had curries, a King Prawn Dhansak for me, Chicken Tikka Balti for the wife, a Lemon Rice each, two side dishes, a Saag Panner and a Brinjal Bhaji, a glass of wine each, then two coffeess at the end of the meal.

So bearing in mind we were basically just paying for two main courses, and a couple of drinks, no starters or desserts, the cost? a whopping £79.00. It really brought it home to me how quickly, and my how much, prices are incresing now. We ate at the very same restaurant no more than a couple of months ago and the bill was no more than £60 odd pounds then.

Plenty of people were willing to pay these prices though, everytable was taken last night, and as we exited a large group were waiting to be seated. Cost of living crisis? it doesn't exist in Horsham.
Just looked at their takeaway menu (I have known both Dil and Mash for many years and used to eat their fairly regularly hence my interest) and your 2 currys and rice are £35.50 so adding a vegetarian starter and 2 sides plus the drinks add on being in the restaurant and it will easily hit £80.

Drinking wine by the glass in a restaurant is probably about the most expensive thing you can do imo.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given restaurants are experiencing staff shortages, wage hikes, energy price increases and a huge jump in the cost of ingredients it’s no wonder prices have gone up.

When/if inflation calms down I expect wages will remain high due to staff shortages, so menu prices may drop a little but eating out will remain higher than it was imho.

Restaurant work has always been badly paid, and run on thin margins, so I won’t have an issue paying a few quid extra in the knowledge the owners and staff are getting a decent wage and better conditions…..arguably I will be paying the true cost of eating out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That’s quite a sacrifice. Cold curry and rice the morning after a beer session and late night ruby is one of the joys of life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and the Doris are quite regular patrons of the Indian Cottage in Shoreham. Always found it decent value there, but whenever we have a starters and a curry each, we invariably end up taking a whole load of it home with us.

Both of us are absolute SUCKERS for the lime pickle / mint sauce / onion / chutney carousel with a few papadums. So now, we just PIG OUT on that for (effectively) our starters, then order 1 curry to share between us with rice and some sides. A glass or two of wine, a couple of draft Cobras, and the bill comes in south of £40. Both of us are well stuffed after that, and we don't have the rigmarole of doggie bags.

I just find I can't tuck away the papdums+starter+main+sides any more, so ditching the starter, going big on the carousel and sharing a curry with a couple of sides works out just right for us., and saves a packet on the bill.
That’s quite a sacrifice. Cold curry and rice the morning after a beer session and late night ruby is one of the joys of life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not for me, Clive. Its disgusting cold, and re-heated rice never comes out right. I end up feeling I've bought too much and wasted money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here