Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Eufa rules on elimination. Does anyone have a view?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it seems sensible until you remember its not a knock out round. Team A could batter a couple of teams 4-0 then face team B that parks the bus and get a sneeky 1-0. Team B won other game 1-0 and lost one 0-3. same point, goal difference of +8 and -1 but team B goes through.

i suppose it stops any team taking an opposition lightly.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The whole idea of changing Goal Average to Goal Difference was to encourage scoring and stop teams "parking the bus". Now it seems we are reverting

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I still don't get this. They are still saying the Dutch can go through by beating Portugal by more than 2 goals if Denmark lose of course. But they will both have 3 points and Denmark beat the Dutch

If The Dutch win by 2 goals and Denmark lose to Germany then the Dutch would go through as you'd have 3 teams tied on 3 points and the Dutch have the best head to head record in games between the 3 tied sides (when 3 sides are tied you look at results between all 3 teams and create a mini league from that)

The results against Germany are discounted so we only need to look at the following scores

Denmark 1 Holland 0
Denmark 2 Portugal 3
Portugal 0 Holland 2

When you've got the head to head results the table is worked out firstly by points won in those games and then gd, then goals scored so the mini table would look like this

Holland 3 pts +1 gd
Denmark 3 pts 0 gd
Portugal 3 pts -1 gd

If Holland beat Portugal 1-0 (or by any single winning goal margin) then as all three teams would have level gd Portugal then go through due to goals scored in the head to head games.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still don't get this. They are still saying the Dutch can go through by beating Portugal by more than 2 goals if Denmark lose of course. But they will both have 3 points and Denmark beat the Dutch

not sure why this should confuse, as this would be the case in "normal" league with goal difference to decide tied points. Dutch just need to score two more than Portugal what ever the score. edit... ah i see what you mean, its conflicting information isnt it.

im more curious how it works if Dutch beat Portugal 1-0, Germans beat Denmark 1-0. all three will be on 3 pts -1 goals, Denmark lost to Portgual, Portugal lost to Dutch, Dutch lost to Denmark all by a one goal margin. Does Portugal go though on most goals scored?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to the bbc, if teams are tied, you create a mini table involving just those teams (for example, if spain and croatia draw, and italy beat ireland, you remove the games they all played v ireland).

If teams can't be separated that way, you then go to gd overall, goals scored overall.

If two teams are still tied, and they happen to be playing each other in the final game, they go to penalties. If they aren't playing each other it comes down to uefa coefficients.

BBC Sport - Euro 2012 - the group stage permutations explained
I posted in another thread (I'm Confused by Euro Tables)

So, the explanation would be since teams are level on points overall, it goes to this table, going through each column left to right until they are separated?

View attachment 32536
(click to enlarge)

? (italy 'gs' should be 2, not 1)

Apparently the company which developed this process also do ticketing for UK railways.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It would be fun if the rugby system of a bonus point for goals scored were to be introduced. This would be a real incentive to score goals.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
im more curious how it works if Dutch beat Portugal 1-0, Germans beat Denmark 1-0. all three will be on 3 pts -1 goals, Denmark lost to Portgual, Portugal lost to Dutch, Dutch lost to Denmark all by a one goal margin. Does Portugal go though on most goals scored?

The Netherlands would be elimated from the 'group of 3', as it were, on the basis of goals scored. The criteria (head to head, goal difference, goals scored) would then be reapplied to the Denmark/Portugal game ONLY, and Portugal would go through on the head to head result.

I think.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It would be fun if the rugby system of a bonus point for goals scored were to be introduced. This would be a real incentive to score goals.

I like that. How high do you set it - bonus point for scoring 3, or 4?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Any rule which has allowed the Greeks to sneak through is clearly erroneous.

But Russia lost to them, it's their own stupid fault.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Indeed - they went into the match knowing that their superior goal difference was irrelevant and that losing even 1-0 put them at serious risk of elimination.

Quite frankly, I am delighted they've gone out. They looked good. But then, how good could they be? Greece beat them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here