Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The erection of the East Stand Roof

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Its Megastructures comes to Sussex!

Anyone know if our Wembley style Arches are going to be lit up at night? Guess after our planning permission battle it would be unlikely (bat impacts!), but it would look amazing as you made your way to the ground at night if they were.
At the very least, in a few weeks time, I'm hoping to see a Christmas tree, illuminated with blue and white lights, sitting on top of the roof.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Brilliant that, great stuff

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
shows how the crane is going to get bigger . . . not been this excited about a crane since i got a remote controlled one for winter festival

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Very interesting, wonder why Buckinghams put it on You tube.

Could understand then releasing it for us anoraks, but for it to appear on the tube un-announced seems a bit random.

Great video, but it is a real shame that a member of NSC has to stumble across it on YouTube!! I think the official Falmer section on the BHAFC site could do with a lot of work and updating - the last update was on 04/10/09!!

The saving grace is that we have weekly updates from JS and people adding all the pics to an unofficial site which is a great effort by the people involved and should shame the Club into creating a much more informative website dedicated to Falmer, not a few pages buried away on the official site.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
OH. MY. GOD. That is amazing. I hope someone hasn't made a mistake with their calculations and made a bit too short. And I still don't understand how the thing holds itself up , perhaps someone can explain in very simple language for me?:smile:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
OH. MY. GOD. That is amazing. I hope someone hasn't made a mistake with their calculations and made a bit too short. And I still don't understand how the thing holds itself up , perhaps someone can explain in very simple language for me?:smile:

Chewing gum, from the underside of the Withdean seats.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

The arch and the roof hold each other in a cantilever way, or balancing scales.
Think of it in the way a bicyle spoked wheel works together, ( some spokes are in compression and other tension).
The arch goes up first using temporary supports then the roof is built and when its all self supporting each other the temporary supports get taken down.

By using this system it avoids have any roof supports sited between the paying guests and the pitch, so everyone get an un-obscured "parabolic" view

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The Green Mile, Clockwork Orange, Jaws, and anything with Jennifer Aniston in are my favourite films.
Now there is a new number 1.
This is absolutely the best film ever.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
And I still don't understand how the thing holds itself up , perhaps someone can explain in very simple language for me?:smile:

I will never understand how it all stays up in the air, even after a simply explanation is given. I need to get an old bike wheel, some concrete and a couple of dog heads and thrust blocks in the back garden and have a go.

But what a beautiful video and you can see where the dogs head bit gets its name.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great video, but it is a real shame that a member of NSC has to stumble across it on YouTube!! I think the official Falmer section on the BHAFC site could do with a lot of work and updating - the last update was on 04/10/09!!

The video was on Martin Perry's blog on Seagulls world so although that is a pay to view service it was actually made for the club website

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

The saving grace is that we have weekly updates from JS and people adding all the pics to an unofficial site which is a great effort by the people involved and should shame the Club into creating a much more informative website dedicated to Falmer, not a few pages buried away on the official site.

The fans efforts are far superior to anything the club does-and that's with limited access to the site. Thanks to everybody who uploads their pictures and videos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here