Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you're in the game of making predictions: are we now entering into a new era where low inflation (house prices excepted) no longer holds?
probably. central banks have spent over a decade providing high liquidity to markets, to avoid fears of deflation. thats ended and being reversed. inflation will be more volatile and generally higher. to add, i expect the target to rise from 2%, as the measures to get there will be too harsh.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He would say that wouldn't he....
Well the thing I would say is even though the gas price has dropped a lot we won't see the benefit as the government subsidy falls away.

Unit price may actually peak in April, thankfully this is over the summer period when consumption drops a lot.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He does say, not as high or volatile as they are at the moment, but higher than they used to be.
Sounds about right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Britain pays the highest rate per unit in Europe, annual bills (make adjustments for currency conversion)

Energy prices.jpg

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Well the thing I would say is even though the gas price has dropped a lot we won't see the benefit as the government subsidy falls away.

Unit price may actually peak in April, thankfully this is over the summer period when consumption drops a lot.
he's making a broader point about cost of energy isnt going to return to the old prices. need to shift to renewables and base cost of those is more expensive. "we need to treat energy as something that is not abundant", we've had a period of very cheap energy that isnt coming back.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
he's making a broader point about cost of energy isnt going to return to the old prices. need to shift to renewables and base cost of those is more expensive. "we need to treat energy as something that is not abundant", we've had a period of very cheap energy that isnt coming back.
Hopefully in the end energy will be cheaper with renewables, transition will cost but with it we'll get energy security

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
what you posted there is spot market price from mid December when we had cold snap and no wind. its not the regular spot price (about £200 today), or European domestic prices.
£200 per annum? I'd love to know where you get that price. The government themselves said our average annual bill will be around £2500 a year.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
£200 per annum? I'd love to know where you get that price. The government themselves said our average annual bill will be around £2500 a year.
er no, not annual. its the spot price for MWh at 18:00-19:00 today (on 12th Dec in your posted jpeg). thats what Epexspot is, shows the live energy markets not domestic billing.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
er no, not annual. its the spot price for MWh at 18:00-19:00 today (on 12th Dec in your posted jpeg). thats what Epexspot is, shows the live energy markets not domestic billing.
Probably still indicative of the cost per kWh to the consumer in comparative terms unfortunately.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Natural gas prices fall further, now at April 2021 levels. Surely must bode well for next winter...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 27

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Latest monthly gas and elec £360 ex the £66 and that running the thermostat at 17c. About 10kw day elec, 60kw gas.

Hopefully, thats the winter peak with milder weather

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How does this compare with other big markets in Europe though? Say France, Germany and Italy.

As an aside, I have not kept a detailed tab on my energy bills but I can say it hasn’t gone up by the extreme numbers I see coming out of the UK.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
How does this compare with other big markets in Europe though? Say France, Germany and Italy.

As an aside, I have not kept a detailed tab on my energy bills but I can say it hasn’t gone up by the extreme numbers I see coming out of the UK.
varies during the day from a bit more bit less depending on the time. https://www.epexspot.com/en/market-data

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I am moving in March, is it still a case of just keeping who the previous occupier uses (in this case e.on) or is it now worth shopping around?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am moving in March, is it still a case of just keeping who the previous occupier uses (in this case e.on) or is it now worth shopping around?
I heard recently that it's worth waiting before committing, because the price movement is downwards, and the earlier you get locked into a deal, it's likely to be at a higher rate than if you hold on for a while.
Think this was from Martin Lewis, but would recommend occasionally referring to his website (he's particularly hot on this issue)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here