Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The end of Notes and Coins?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nope i havnt ....tbh the ‘domestic’ ones that pay by cheque wouldnt be happy with a card reader....

I just tell mine my bank have closed my local branch, which is true, and I have to queue up at the Post Office to pay in a cheque.
Card payments save me so much time, I've decided I'm not taking any more cheques from now on.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve moved to IZettle for smaller jobs now. No monthly fee just a percentage of the bill. All you have to do is buy the card machine for about £35
You can take payment on site, or send invoice by text. All done through your phone.

https://www.izettle.com/gb

I have got Sum Up which is a very similar set up, I think the machine was cheaper as a neighbour that uses Sum Up sent me a link giving me a discount.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He must be a bit dodgy to do that - no reason to pay cash as he can claim back works on a rental .. :shrug:

One big reason not to love cashless.. All the debit card payments to Red Lion, Amex/Sodexho, The Railway etc can be tracked and traced and eventually end up with 'Well Mr R, we've checked your drinking history, and your spend on booze is too much, so your going to the back of the NHS queue i'm afraid..'
Half of London is on the dodge, straight up I’ve worked for vat inspector who wanted a cash deal :lolol: I love the hustle of being Self employed good fun.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I use a £1 coin for the supermarket trolley, and the locker at the gym, and sometimes buy something from a vending machine.

My main concern would be that if there were any IT or banking problems,

I think all 3 you have mentioned will still work if there was any IT or banking problems. :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I just tell mine my bank have closed my local branch, which is true, and I have to queue up at the Post Office to pay in a cheque.
Card payments save me so much time, I've decided I'm not taking any more cheques from now on.

Lol..I don’t blame you ...but now I can do the photoing of cheques it’s not really that bad ...getting paid is number one....gold bars ..jewels..I’ll accept it all :D

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lol..I don’t blame you ...but now I can do the photoing of cheques it’s not really that bad ...getting paid is number one....gold bars ..jewels..I’ll accept it all :D

Yes if you can pay cheques by taking a photo that's fine, I'm not sure I can do that with mine.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
End of cash - Government backed Digital Currency - Finally people realise how rare Bitcoin is!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes if you can pay cheques by taking a photo that's fine, I'm not sure I can do that with mine.

I opened an account with Starling Bank...no transaction charges if you are paying in cheques...all app based it’s worked well for me..I get a notification through to my phone if a customer has paid direct

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even many of the homeless in Brighton will take card payments now. On at least three occasions before the lockdown walking from Brighton Station I have been asked for change by people and they said have they could take a card payment?

I know there are hand held mobile devices but never thought I'd see the day when this would happen by people begging for change. Sign of the times I suppose.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Even many of the homeless in Brighton will take card payments now. On at least three occasions before the lockdown walking from Brighton Station I have been asked for change by people and they said have they could take a card payment?

I know there are hand held mobile devices but never thought I'd see the day when this would happen by people begging for change. Sign of the times I suppose.
The fact you need an address & bank account oh and a smart phone to take card payments gives the game away somewhat. In London the ‘homeless’ pay for top pitches in a few hours they can mug of tourists for a couple of hundred.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Cash is free to use. Smartphones aren't. Without a smartphone, none of the cashless methods work - and even on that Swedish one, where cash use is at its least, still one-eighth of the populace used cash last time they spent money.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The U.K. is well set up for cashless, Germany less so. When I’m in the U.K. I have some notes as an emergency for taxis, but that’s it. At all other times I use my card.

Then you're using the wrong taxi firm :whistle:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Half of London is on the dodge, straight up I’ve worked for vat inspector who wanted a cash deal :lolol: I love the hustle of being Self employed good fun.

Lived and worked up here SE for past 20 years, and don't see that myself - As above, my route to spending cash is limited as all pubs up here want cards, Saino's and my corner shop the same, train to Amex card in advance, Amex bars card only soon.. There's only one business i know who still wants it.. :smokin: :lol:

I'm a VAT reg'd co so get asked for cash a lot, but not interested esp since this i was part of this fall out - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4483602/Zoe-Ball-s-lover-fell-victim-fraudulent-accountant.html

My carpenter mate (who is not VAT reg) even charges same day rate if they pay cash..!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Lived and worked up here SE for past 20 years, and don't see that myself - As above, my route to spending cash is limited as all pubs up here want cards, Saino's and my corner shop the same, train to Amex card in advance, Amex bars card only soon.. There's only one business i know who still wants it.. :smokin: :lol:

I'm a VAT reg'd co so get asked for cash a lot, but not interested esp since this i was part of this fall out - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4483602/Zoe-Ball-s-lover-fell-victim-fraudulent-accountant.html

My carpenter mate (who is not VAT reg) even charges same day rate if they pay cash..!
Agree with that my rates not cheaper if they pay cash I just prefer it do a job get paid go home. Waiting for the dreaded bank transfer and all the host of excuses to why it’s not arrived does my head in. Card payments are ok to be fair.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Why am I constantly being told that cashless payments are for my benefit? - no they aren’t.

Both forms of payments, cash and electronic, have their benefits, (and drawbacks) - I would like to be the one who chooses which method to use, not some profit oriented financial institutions.

The only reason I use cashless payments and receipts more and more is simply because the big institutions and companies have made it more and more difficult to use cash. Anyone who thinks they do this to benefit the consumer is living in cloud-cuckoo land, profit is the sole reason.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Contactless is all good in the current climate, tho reckon many of us are guilty of just waving cards around like magic wands. All thoughts of budgeting tend to go right out the window, and at some point it's got to come back and bite huge numbers of people in the bum shirley?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
£20 note in your hand you think do I really need this, contactless **** it It’s only a tenner. It’s designed to take your money not do you any favours.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Only time I use cash is the barbers. Reckon that's the same for a lot of people!
A local micropub and my favourite coffee shop are both cash only. The chemist has a card machine but insists on cash for prescriptions. We have three greengrocer stalls on the High Street as well so I do get to use cash quite regularly. Not so much recently!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
A few cash only merchants out there. Window cleaners would get cleaned out!

Changed mine after he insisted I paid cash, it became annoying to draw cash out and get change just for him. He reckoned I couldn’t have his bank details for security reasons!

I also work a cab in London part time (at best) and take 70% card now compared to 2 years ago when it was 40% card. Doesn’t bother me as not a fan of carrying excess cash, certainly in some of the areas I serve.

The only issue I have is TFL insist that a TFL approved card reader is installed in the back (3-5%) and we get an extra 0.20p on the flag for this. Funny enough most of the approved vendors have links to World Pay who happen to have a seat on the TFL board [emoji848]

I use an Izettle that I keep in front which charges 1.75%.

TFL compliance have tried it on with drivers stating we must use the terminal in the back but don’t actually have a leg to stand on as although we must have a TFL approved device fitted and working, they cannot force us to use it as card isn’t actually legal tender, which will need primary legalisation to fix this point.

I do miss the days when many of my colleagues were cash only as used to get some decent fares (going home jobs) south of London for card paying customers at the expense of the cash only mob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here