Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The end for petrol cars ?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
.....there will never be enough electricity produced for everyone who needs a vehicle to change to an ev........its a load of old pipe imho.
I agree to some extent. At present I think you're right, but the coming decades could be a very different story.

The UK scientists working on Nuclear Fusion think a commercial power plant could be available within 12 years. That would change everything.

Im sure the scientists are being optimistic, but let's say 15 to 20 is plausible. That would mean in a similar time scale to Darren Freeman scoring the first goal of the millennium at Withdean to Brighton sitting 7th in the Premier league, we could be free of petrol cars.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree to some extent. At present I think you're right, but the coming decades could be a very different story.

The UK scientists working on Nuclear Fusion think a commercial power plant could be available within 12 years. That would change everything.

Im sure the scientists are being optimistic, but let's say 15 to 20 is plausible. That would mean in a similar time scale to Darren Freeman scoring the first goal of the millennium at Withdean to Brighton sitting 7th in the Premier league, we could be free of petrol cars.
sadly fusion has been 10 years away for about the past 30 years. anything that is not going into production now is not a reliable alternative.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
there is a lot more to this than meets the eye .....there will never be enough electricity produced for everyone who needs a vehicle to change to an ev........its a load of old pipe imho. still building power stations and petrol stations in asia , africa and australia.

millions of people have trillions of dollars tied up in traditionally powered vehicles , this perceived environmental emergency cannot be allayed by a few million people in europe .

china , india and indonesia produce a massive proportion of pollution and their transport needs are not going to be met by ex's any time soon.
It's disquieting to know that there are still people out there that think the environmental emergency is only perceived and not real. Shows that for some more education is required. Although you are correct that there is a massive lobby with huge financial interests in having us keep burning stuff to so they can continue to line their pockets with cash.

It's probably a good job that not all EV vehicles will need/want to be charged at the same time. Just imagine the queues if all the petrol and diesel cars wanted a tankful all at the same time, which of course they don't.
EVs equipped with Vehicle to Grid will be a huge contributor to the balancing of the grid in future.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It's disquieting to know that there are still people out there that think the environmental emergency is only perceived and not real. Shows that for some more education is required. Although you are correct that there is a massive lobby with huge financial interests in having us keep burning stuff to so they can continue to line their pockets with cash.

It's probably a good job that not all EV vehicles will need/want to be charged at the same time. Just imagine the queues if all the petrol and diesel cars wanted a tankful all at the same time, which of course they don't.
EVs equipped with Vehicle to Grid will be a huge contributor to the balancing of the grid in future.
conventional cars can , i have read , be converted to run on hydrogen or ammonia reasonably cheaply , you then have the intractable waste involved in renewables ....lithium batteries and the fins from turbines which are made of fibre glass , not to mention the carbon footprint of these products....it's a croc i'm afraid , de population is the only answer over half the worlds population in china , india and indonesia all burning coal and the shittiest fuel available ....perhaps its you who needs to educate yourself.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s only 10 months ago we had lemmings queueing for hours for a petrol shortage that never existed 😂

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005

Tesla owners blast Christmas car charging chaos with dozens forced to wait in THREE HOUR queues​

Because the morons didn't think to go to another charger nearby because they drive Teslas don't want to be seen slumming it. :)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
conventional cars can , i have read , be converted to run on hydrogen or ammonia reasonably cheaply , you then have the intractable waste involved in renewables ....lithium batteries and the fins from turbines which are made of fibre glass , not to mention the carbon footprint of these products....it's a croc i'm afraid , de population is the only answer over half the worlds population in china , india and indonesia all burning coal and the shittiest fuel available ....perhaps its you who needs to educate yourself.
There is virtually no green hydrogen out there, the rest is made using natural gas which creates more greenhouse gasses than burning fossil fuels (Fossil fuel lobby likes this idea, sells more gas). To create the green hydrogen by hydrolysis requires tremendous amounts of electricity which produces hydrogen with total less energy than you started with. Pointless.

You really need to stop getting your 'facts' off Facebook or whatever.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Maybe they did leave home fully charged, but due to the length of journey against the range of a full charge, they need to top up?
500km range even on the top of the range batteries ...?? maybe they did , maybe they didn't.
There is virtually no green hydrogen out there, the rest is made using natural gas which creates more greenhouse gasses than burning fossil fuels (Fossil fuel lobby likes this idea, sells more gas). To create the green hydrogen by hydrolysis requires tremendous amounts of electricity which produces hydrogen with total less energy than you started with. Pointless.

You really need to stop getting your 'facts' off Facebook or whatever.
there are major green hydrogen projects under way in western australia

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Currently driving my first car, a little 2012 Peugeot 207 Sportium and I love driving a manual.
PXL_20220828_172510446.MP~2.jpg

Think I might upgrade to a Civic Type-R in the near future for a bit of fun.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Won't happen, especially in Oz, it's too big.
we have a population of @26 million , a large percentage of homes have solar panels , a tiny % of our land mass is inhabited/developed so i'm with you , it won't happen here , we are not the problem ......the major problem is over population , rank pollution of sea and air and a very close 3rd is deforestation in equatorial and tropical areas.
i think what we will see here is a family will have one (or2) ev's charged at home and a couple of petrol or diesel cars as well .

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Won't happen, especially in Oz, it's too big.
On the face of it, given most people in Australia live in the big cities, an electric car should be ideal for most journeys around the suburbs/city.
Obviously if you live in some mining town in the middle of the Northern Teriitory it doesn't make any sense.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I can’t afford to buy another car so, will continue to drive my 6 year old petrol driven vehicle. Does that make me a bad person in an environmentalist’s eyes?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I can’t afford to buy another car so, will continue to drive my 6 year old petrol driven vehicle. Does that make me a bad person in an environmentalist’s eyes?
Not in my opinion.

I intend for my next car to be an EV, but not until my current car, a 12 year old 1.1 litre Suzuki, dies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here