Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The driver and the biker

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I left work today and on my way back to the car, I have to cross the road outside the office. Quick way is straight over the road traffic permitting, longer way is to cross the other way to the zebra crossing and over there.

I look right (away from the zebra crossing) and there's nothing coming for miles, so I look left and there's a car stopped at the crossing and this dear old lady shuffling across the road so I go the short way. Loads of time me thinks until some complete c:censored:t in a sports car comes racing down the road, convinced the rules don't apply to him, overtakes the car at the crossing with the old dear still on the crossing and continues on his merry way.

I met the complete opposite of him on the drive home. Waiting at the lights at the top of Carlton Terrace and a biker comes between the cars and gets to the front. He then pushes his bike back, knocks on my window and says 'Is it ok if I go first?' 'Of course it is mate!' with my jaw on the floor and he then proceeds to ride his bike safely all the way.

If the driver is reading this, you're a :tosser: , if the biker is :thumbsup: :bowdown:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
amazed

never knew there were any bikers out there who werent complete twats dedicated to aiming at the centre of my rad grille at top speed and only returning to their side of the road at the last second.

no surprise about the sports car driver though :lolol:

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
severnside gull said:
amazed

never knew there were any bikers out there who werent complete twats dedicated to aiming at the centre of my rad grille at top speed and only returning to their side of the road at the last second.

What a total and utter generalisation. You should be as ashamed of yourself as all those who think that all football fans are hooligans.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
saw biker tonight do the overtake - head towards oncoming car and then cut in at the last moment, infront of the row of cars heading the same way

oncoming driver looked totally shocked

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Colleague who rides horses told me that the most considerate people on the road are bikers - names that he called car drivers are not for use in polite company (so would be alright on here then?)

My main point is that there are good and bad just as in all walks of life. The prats who really annoy me are the car drivers that deliberately close down the space that I am heading before (and need to get into before I hit the oncoming car :lolol: )

I rode bikes for years.
However, I never cease to be amazed at how bikers in THIS country in particular, seem to think they can go where-ever they want on the road, and it is everyone elses duty to be aware of them and what they want to do, above any other road user.
One overtook me as I was turning right this afternoon, insisted on ignoring my obvious intent and trajectory, and then wagged his head as if to say that I am unbelievable to actively persue my objective as planned. No concept that he should look out for his own safety and take other people's road usage into account.

Morons like that need to explain their complaints to their nurses and doctors.

It's also interesting to note how so many of them automatically think they are tough-nuts for riding a motorcycle, like they are suddenly 'hells angel types' for being on 2 wheels. I had one pratt gob on my car for taking the right lane, on the road round The Albert - ....and he didn't even realise it was a two-lane 1-way system.

I followed the 'tough nut' as he dodged around half of Brighton trying to escape my attentions, and the silly twat had a nice easy personal plate 'L100 HOG' for me to remember when I see him or his parked 'hog' again.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
NMH said:

One overtook me as I was turning right this afternoon, insisted on ignoring my obvious intent and trajectory, and then wagged his head as if to say that I am unbelievable to actively persue my objective as planned.

I was amazed the first time I saw that "Now you see him" road safety ad on the television, where a car driver is turning right and a biker overtakes him as the car turns, resulting in the obvious accident occuring. What's that all about?

Surely the ad should be aimed at these bikers to get them to consider their actions in that sort of situation, or am I missing something?

Oh, and I appreciate that not all bikers ride like idiots and it's the minority that give the majority a bad name before anyone has a go!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I often give bikers the right of way and are very aware of them being around plus by brother is a bike rider. However they really f*** me off when they overtake on double white lines and cut infront of you, as one did to me Sunday. Do they not realise they loose so much of the car drivers respect by driving in this manner. Rant over. Over to you Biker.........

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
NMH said:
I rode bikes for years.
However, I never cease to be amazed at how bikers in THIS country in particular, seem to think they can go where-ever they want on the road, and it is everyone elses duty to be aware of them and what they want to do, above any other road user.
One overtook me as I was turning right this afternoon, insisted on ignoring my obvious intent and trajectory, and then wagged his head as if to say that I am unbelievable to actively persue my objective as planned. No concept that he should look out for his own safety and take other people's road usage into account.

Morons like that need to explain their complaints to their nurses and doctors.

It's also interesting to note how so many of them automatically think they are tough-nuts for riding a motorcycle, like they are suddenly 'hells angel types' for being on 2 wheels. I had one pratt gob on my car for taking the right lane, on the road round The Albert - ....and he didn't even realise it was a two-lane 1-way system.

I followed the 'tough nut' as he dodged around half of Brighton trying to escape my attentions, and the silly twat had a nice easy personal plate 'L100 HOG' for me to remember when I see him or his parked 'hog' again.
I have seen that HOG, lets let his tyres down.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yes i am one of those twats on a sports bike !:clap2:
Have none of you heard the saying "ride it like you nicked it ":lolol: In all seriousness I try and be considerate to other road users all the time, but there are just as many wankers driving cars as there are bikes.
For instance why do all boy racers in citreon saxos and business men in BMW's HAVE to race me away from lights my bike will do 0-100 mph in about 5.5 seconds you will never beat me :nono: so please stop trying, but in general I find the majority of road users are very "bike freindly" and most move over to let us pass and for that I thank them :bowdown:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Frank Inkerman said:
What a total and utter generalisation. You should be as ashamed of yourself as all those who think that all football fans are hooligans.

I take it you dont live or travel around the roads of London then.

Bikers are a law unto themselves...expecially the courier ones

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
SussexHoop said:
some complete c:censored:t in a sports car comes racing down the road, convinced the rules don't apply to him, overtakes the car at the crossing with the old dear still on the crossing and continues on his merry way.

wasnt a megane convertable was it ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm pretty considerate to bikers. When the motorway is busy, I always move to the side of the lane to let the biker through as he passes between the lines of traffic, in complete disregard of the law.

I always let them in, as its not like they are going to hold me up at all.

What does piss me off about them [*obviously not ALL of them] is that they think the speed limits only apply to cars, and that they are somehow exempt. I find it most disconcerting when a little speck in my rear view mirror becomes a sports bike doing well over a ton, very quickly.

They seem to have the attitude that beacuse the machine is capable of great speed they can drive as fast as they like with impunity. My car will do well over a ton too. Whoopee-do. Doesn't mean you have to do so.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
hKfc you are right of couurse about the speed limits.........................................................but it is fun going as fast as you can until you bottle it :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair enough. I'm not sure its as much fun for the other innocent road users caught up in your mess though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here