Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Who’d have thunk a year ago with no fans in the stadium that it would come to this level of moaning once we got back in. I wonder how much of it has to do with our home record and how much to do with the state of the world. It used to be you went to the football to forget your troubles :shrug:

For sure, I don't think the home record is helping.

Standing in a queue in the freezing cold / pissing rain is a bit less shit if you've just won. Standing in a queue in the freezing cold / pissing rain is an utter misery if you've just watched your team fail to turn up at home. Again.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Goldstone crumbling under our feet, the trek to Gillingham, getting soaked at Withdean and now this....................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For sure, I don't think the home record is helping.

Standing in a queue in the freezing cold / pissing rain is a bit less shit if you've just won. Standing in a queue in the freezing cold / pissing rain is an utter misery if you've just watched your team fail to turn up at home. Again.

Accidentally knock into someone walking out after a 3-0 win

‘Wayyy, easy mate, hahahahahaha’

Accidentally knock into someone walking out after a 3-0 defeat

‘Watch where you’re going you clumsy ****’

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who’d have thunk a year ago with no fans in the stadium that it would come to this level of moaning once we got back in. I wonder how much of it has to do with our home record and how much to do with the state of the world. It used to be you went to the football to forget your troubles :shrug:

A great deal.

A home EPL win every 2.3 months (on average) pisses people off.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think most people have been saying the same about these issues for several years. They haven’t been addressed so it’s no surprise that the complaints get louder.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Goldstone crumbling under our feet, the trek to Gillingham, getting soaked at Withdean and now this....................

I get the point, and I am very grateful to the supporters who kept us going in that time and for Bloom and I love the Amex. But does that rationale hold true. If so, one must never complain again or find something difficult lest one be seen as unreasonable. How long does this period of grace last? Would it be okay to point out some difficulties with transport for instance, 20 years after the stadium opening, as it is apparently not acceptable 11 years later? Maybe 30?

It all seems a bit arbitrary. Finding something tiresome or difficult or unrewarding does not automatically signal ungratefulness or dissatisfaction for everything related to the club/Amex etc. People each have tolerance limits for the energy required to get to the match. Levels based upon character, stage of life and location. There is an intolerance here from some posters who would rather that everyone felt the same way they do, and if that is not the case, would very much like these threads to disappear. That will not happen however well we do in the league as ignoring a problem does not simply make it go away.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think most people have been saying the same about these issues for several years. They haven’t been addressed so it’s no surprise that the complaints get louder.

But a Premier League survey of 3000 fans rated our match day experience highly :moo:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I get the point, and I am very grateful to the supporters who kept us going in that time and for Bloom and I love the Amex. But does that rationale hold true. If so, one must never complain again or find something difficult lest one be seen as unreasonable. How long does this period of grace last? Would it be okay to point out some difficulties with transport for instance, 20 years after the stadium opening, as it is apparently not acceptable 11 years later? Maybe 30?

It all seems a bit arbitrary. Finding something tiresome or difficult or unrewarding does not automatically signal ungratefulness or dissatisfaction for everything related to the club/Amex etc. People each have tolerance limits for the energy required to get to the match. Levels based upon character, stage of life and location. There is an intolerance here from some posters who would rather that everyone felt the same way they do, and if that is not the case, would very much like these threads to disappear. That will not happen however well we do in the league as ignoring a problem does not simply make it go away.

I have yet to hear a workable solution to the fact that the Amex is a bottle neck as 30k leave it. I don’t like it, I just stay until the crowds have dispersed and when I do leave in the melee I just accept it

We all have different levels of tolerance. I moan like buggery at the time but in reality I accept it :shrug:

We have four choices, accept it, whinge about it, come up with a workable solution, or like some are doing - bin your season ticket and just go to away games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Well said :clap:

I'll never understand how the events of a completely different club are supposed to impact the here and now.

That said those with complaints do need to grow a bit of a pair.

They are talking about 32,000 people all wanting to do the same thing at the same time.
The fact that's accomplished in less than an hour - less than 30 mins, on occasion, really ought to be commended.
Especially when it's in reference to a provincial club who has been absolutely screwed over by planning consent.

If by some miracle the stadium was built by Brighton station my money would still be on threads appearing here complaining about the transport. (Esp after a dry humping from Bumley, Villa et al)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have yet to hear a workable solution to the fact that the Amex is a bottle neck as 30k leave it. I don’t like it, I just stay until the crowds have dispersed and when I do leave in the melee I just accept it

We all have different levels of tolerance. I moan like buggery at the time but in reality I accept it :shrug:

We have three choices, accept it, whinge about it or come up with a workable solution

That is true to a degree (probably 20,000 by the time the final whistle goes) and I sympathise with the club.

But.....if we have that kind of attitude, then nothing would ever be improved - we should not settle for second best and some things could be tweaked.

On the subject of trains, I was personally impacted after a season of trying them to and from E'bourne. In spite of the large number of travellers, Southern started only sending 4 coach trains to Eastbourne station, that is after it had already been to Hastings. Needless to say the journey always became increasingly uncomfortable and by Polegate or Lewes the train was usually crammed to a very unpleasant level. Southern have not provided any kind of decent service. Getting home was troublesome with very large waits and often empty carriages leaving the station as already detailed here and elsewhere, and repeated 4 coach arrivals which means the queue was really slow to move especially as there are fewer trains going eastward than towards Brighton.

On the parking, some points are raised already on this thread about the availability and the entry and egress from the car parks. The Bridge car park is so demotivating on exit. The traffic lights phase is incredible short and favours those leaving the UNI across the a27 and the a27. Often only a few cars go through the lights at a time and this leads to very long waits. I now stay after the game for a beer, but sometimes I have returned to my car an hour after the final whistle, and there is still a ten or fifteen minute wait.

I can't afford Seagulls Travel and won't tolerate the train any longer, so the car park is the only way I will use. I understand that the club cannot do a lot about these situations, but the experience is still lousy.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But a Premier League survey of 3000 fans rated our match day experience highly :moo:

Does that include away fans. I would imagine it's a great away day. Great City, fantastic end right behind the goal and in recent times a good chance of winning!

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Give the non league scene a go for a couple of weeks. Far more enjoyable experience, more affordable, and no hastle getting to and from the game. It's brilliant. Also the money you save can then be spent in the pub on the way home! Win win.

Whilst I am sure non league games are good to watch I do find it really odd that a number of posters on a site for our club's fans are actively encouraging others not to go to our games. How can you say you are a fan and do that?

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I think the remoteness of the park and rides is a problem. It takes ages for the buses to get to and from the racecourse along roads notorious for congestion and so maybe a few closer car parks need to be created or found. Is there anything in the Lewes direction?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Mill Road fills up very early and if you are coming from West have to then drive through Brighton to get to racecourse. Why have they not replaced Mitre House. My guess to save money which results in more people on public transport. 2 P and Rs are not enough

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mill Road fills up very early and if you are coming from West have to then drive through Brighton to get to racecourse. Why have they not replaced Mitre House. My guess to save money which results in more people on public transport. 2 P and Rs are not enough

Lack of suitable sites you'd imagine. Given that when we've really needed more they've used Sainsburys at Portslade (obviously can't be used most of the time) and Hickstead

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Yes, we're all different*, some will always find something to moan about some will be happy, tis life.

Sounds Monty Python'ish!

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
I think the remoteness of the park and rides is a problem. It takes ages for the buses to get to and from the racecourse along roads notorious for congestion and so maybe a few closer car parks need to be created or found. Is there anything in the Lewes direction?
How about more busses

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here