Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just a corrective to this thread and dozens like it in the last few months and also some regular posters who insist that you're better off going virtually anywhere other than the Amex for your football fix - nearly 3000 Albion fans were surveyed last month and Albion are in the top 2 or 3 clubs in the Premier League for a host of questions relating to the match day experience and overall they are second for match day experience out of the 20 clubs.

how welcome fans are made to feel upon entering the ground (2nd)
the matchday programme (3rd), announcements in the stadium (3rd),
Wi-Fi connectivity and mobile phone signal (2nd),
stadium cleanliness and toilet facilities (3rd),
quality and range of food and drink on offer (2nd).
provision of digital ticketing (1st)
performance of ticket office staff. (1st)
The family-friendly environment (2nd).
Stewards (2nd)
Reporting abuse and having it dealt with. (significantly more likely than other clubs)

Of course doesn't mean that thats the case for all fans and i'm sure it won't convince some regular NSC posters. But the idea that the match day experience is declining and thats what other fans think too is not borne out by the data.

I wasn't part of this survey but had I been I would probably have rated those factors which are relevant to me quite highly (although things like food / drink / wifi signal don't form part of my matchday experience, although fully accept that for others they do).

But for me they all pale into insignificance compared to the absolute misery of getting away from the stadium post-match which after the Wolves game before Christmas included being jammed in an hour-long queue whilst being splashed with piss as someone relieved themselves through the railings from the upper level of the ramp. I know the club have limited control over the trains and even less control over other people's sense of common decency, but frankly, the performance of the ticket office staff or the provision of digital ticketing wasn't at the forefront of my mind at this point. I understand we all have different tolerance thresholds regarding what we are prepared to put up with to watch our club but unless the travel part of the 'matchday experience' significantly improves, I can't see me hurrying back, no matter how good the announcements in the stadium are.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, we're all different*, some will always find something to moan about some will be happy, tis life.

Sounds Monty Python'ish!

From where I am, there are 2 sides of people here.

One with personal reasons stated as to why they are struggling with the travel arrangements, and the other who state that this is to be expected and there is nothing to be concerned about.

If one side is moaning then the other by my reckoning is moaning as well, just not at the travel arrangements or club, but at their fellow fans.

Agree about Python though!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From where I am, there are 2 sides of people here.

One with personal reasons stated as to why they are struggling with the travel arrangements, and the other who state that this is to be expected and there is nothing to be concerned about.

If one side is moaning then the other by my reckoning is moaning as well, just not at the travel arrangements or club, but at their fellow fans.

Agree about Python though!

I’m not moaning about anything (I do at the time though I confess) and maybe it’s because I have a Uni car park pass. If I had to join the crush for the trains I accept I would probably feel very differently

As for the results and performances, I kind of expect the shit performances as I have been seeing them on and off for decades. We do try and play football though, it doesn’t always work but as long as the players put in the effort, and they do most of the time I can live with it. I struggled to live with it a couple of years ago though because of the style, win, lose or draw. :shrug:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I appreciate I'm privileged with health and location but will stick my head above the parapet and say subjectively speaking the match day travel experience for me is the best it's been since the Goldstone. I park up at the top of Lewes and walk to a lot of games. Over the hills is lovely (anything from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours depending on how much I take my time and what route) or along the road (about an hour) if I'm short of time. Or jump on the bus for the free travel if the weather is particularly bad, though I'll often walk back after a match regardless. There's something very special about leaving a match and being in the Downs with no-one around watching a sunset 20 minutes later or putting on a headtorch and traipsing across the hills, and I don't get home any later than when I used to get the train after a game. Like I say, I know I'm privileged to be able to do this, but perhaps uniquely on the forum it makes travelling to and from a game something I actually look forward to every time.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It's not necessarily an accurate comparison, but difficulty/congestion leaving stadiums is not unusual, certainly as an "away" fan. Whether it be the horrible congestion trying to leave Anfield/Goodison/Old Trafford, the long walks and train queues at Spurs and West Ham the experience is no better. I get that it may be very different for some Home fans in these examples (City-based) if there are buses/trams for example, and for those examples i quote, all bigger crowds than we have, but a 30-40 minute delay between leaving the stadium and getting going on your journey, has been very common in my experience. Now, it doesn't mean that improvements can't be made, but I wonder if it feels worse because you are standing still for much of that time? It is interesting also that by having a post-match pint delaying departure by 30 mins or so has no big benefit either.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
It's not necessarily an accurate comparison, but difficulty/congestion leaving stadiums is not unusual, certainly as an "away" fan. Whether it be the horrible congestion trying to leave Anfield/Goodison/Old Trafford, the long walks and train queues at Spurs and West Ham the experience is no better. I get that it may be very different for some Home fans in these examples (City-based) if there are buses/trams for example, and for those examples i quote, all bigger crowds than we have, but a 30-40 minute delay between leaving the stadium and getting going on your journey, has been very common in my experience. Now, it doesn't mean that improvements can't be made, but I wonder if it feels worse because you are standing still for much of that time? It is interesting also that by having a post-match pint delaying departure by 30 mins or so has no big benefit either.
I get people talking about how long it can take to get away from the amex but only the other week at old Trafford 815pm ko the match finish about 1010pm.the coach didn't out the old Trafford car park till about 11pm.The trains & busses are another STORY

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I get people talking about how long it can take to get away from the amex but only the other week at old Trafford 815pm ko the match finish about 1010pm.the coach didn't out the old Trafford car park till about 11pm.The trains & busses are another STORY

I accept it’s never going to be a great experience getting away from any PL ground but the crowd at the Brighton-Wolves game I referenced was about 18/20k-ish tops. I’m guessing the attendance for Manchester United away was significantly higher.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

I travel to the Amex on the NWSS coaches and we regularly have to wait 45 minutes to get out of the coach park.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
People whinging and whining it takes an hour to get home after a game because you've got to que for a bit.
Try a four hour drive each way and I suspect there are people on here that do more than that every home game.
Then your entitled to moan I think about your match day experience with no WI-FI etc.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’m not moaning about anything (I do at the time though I confess) and maybe it’s because I have a Uni car park pass. If I had to join the crush for the trains I accept I would probably feel very differently

As for the results and performances, I kind of expect the shit performances as I have been seeing them on and off for decades. We do try and play football though, it doesn’t always work but as long as the players put in the effort, and they do most of the time I can live with it. I struggled to live with it a couple of years ago though because of the style, win, lose or draw. :shrug:

A bit like the blue badge for the disabled, you could probably, if able, to aution that uni car park pass for good money!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People whinging and whining it takes an hour to get home after a game because you've got to que for a bit.
Try a four hour drive each way and I suspect there are people on here that do more than that every home game.
Then your entitled to moan I think about your match day experience with no WI-FI etc.

No Wi-Fi! how very deadful, what the heck did we do before the invention of t'internet?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I appreciate I'm privileged with health and location but will stick my head above the parapet and say subjectively speaking the match day travel experience for me is the best it's been since the Goldstone. I park up at the top of Lewes and walk to a lot of games. Over the hills is lovely (anything from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours depending on how much I take my time and what route) or along the road (about an hour) if I'm short of time. Or jump on the bus for the free travel if the weather is particularly bad, though I'll often walk back after a match regardless. There's something very special about leaving a match and being in the Downs with no-one around watching a sunset 20 minutes later or putting on a headtorch and traipsing across the hills, and I don't get home any later than when I used to get the train after a game. Like I say, I know I'm privileged to be able to do this, but perhaps uniquely on the forum it makes travelling to and from a game something I actually look forward to every time.

Absolutely. We usually walk from Woodingdean (so know pretty much exactly when we’re going to arrive and get home) but I have also ran from home over the Downs via J&J and the Beacon (90 mins or so, it’s about 10m) and also parked at the Beacon which about an hour’s (beautiful) walk and J&J (1hr 40ish)

The biggest single factor pissing people off is that our performances and results at home have been dire - this in turn causes moaning about literally anything else. Anyone who travels to more than the odd away game can’t really complain about the ‘Amex experience’ - in relative terms we’re pretty well served on most measures.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

No sure if this is in response to my comment about queuing for an hour for a train? But just in case it is, that is simply to catch a train back to where my car is parked. After that I then have a 2 hour+ drive home, assuming the M25 and Dartford Crossing are ok. I don't live in Lewes railway station. Anyway, I certainly don't envy you your 4 hour round trip for each game. You should have mentioned it before.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Whilst I am sure non league games are good to watch I do find it really odd that a number of posters on a site for our club's fans are actively encouraging others not to go to our games. How can you say you are a fan and do that?

All I am saying is that there are alternatives if people are getting frustrated at the current Prem experience, everybody is free to do what they want.

I suspect when you get into your retirement years you might find the hassle of over crowded buses and trains less appealing, but you can still get a local football fix in an easier way.

I've been an Albion supporter for over 60 years and have been a ST holder for much of that period, including travelling to every game at Gillingham in the dark days. I will always be an Albion fan but now just a less active fan due to age and personal choice. Over the coming years there will be thousands of new young fans taking over the seats that older people like myself give up (such as my grandson now who goes), so I see no problem in some of us making adjustments to suit life style choices. The alternative suggested was for those that were missing Saturday football and wanted a change with less hastle.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Who’d have thunk a year ago with no fans in the stadium that it would come to this level of moaning once we got back in. I wonder how much of it has to do with our home record and how much to do with the state of the world. It used to be you went to the football to forget your troubles :shrug:

With no fans in the stadium a year ago we had barely won a game in a year potter has got off lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
All I am saying is that there are alternatives if people are getting frustrated at the current Prem experience, everybody is free to do what they want.

I suspect when you get into your retirement years you might find the hassle of over crowded buses and trains less appealing, but you can still get a local football fix in an easier way.

I've been an Albion supporter for over 60 years and have been a ST holder for much of that period, including travelling to every game at Gillingham in the dark days. I will always be an Albion fan but now just a less active fan due to age and personal choice. Over the coming years there will be thousands of new young fans taking over the seats that older people like myself give up (such as my grandson now who goes), so I see no problem in some of us making adjustments to suit life style choices. The alternative suggested was for those that were missing Saturday football and wanted a change with less hastle.
Personally I think a mixture of all types of football is better for everyone.i love watching Brighton at the amex .local teams & London local teams.something for everybody

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With no fans in the stadium a year ago we had barely won a game in a year potter has got off lightly.

Disappointing, I saw your quote and assumed it would just be BOOOO :lolol:

You may be surprised to hear that I will not be joining in with a Potter witch hunt as things stand either :smile:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
No sure if this is in response to my comment about queuing for an hour for a train? But just in case it is, that is simply to catch a train back to where my car is parked. After that I then have a 2 hour+ drive home, assuming the M25 and Dartford Crossing are ok. I don't live in Lewes railway station. Anyway, I certainly don't envy you your 4 hour round trip for each game. You should have mentioned it before.
No it's not aimed at you specifically but others who don't realise how lucky they are at times.
Becoming a stadium full of snowflakes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He's getting off lightly now, which is fine by me, but blimey it would me nice if his team could burn through as many chances as he is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here