seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Yup, the list is endless

"The fish and chips are too fishy"
"How sharp are the Razor Clams?"
"I'm allergic to salt"

My favourite is medium no blood please, closely followed by rare to medium as if this is different from medium rare....

Keep smiling and keep cooking

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It depends where you are, if you're in a beefeater or harvester, knock yourself out tbh If I was in either of those I would probably lean towards well done. But in a real restaurant that as someone mentioned above has a reputation to uphold these chefs are proud of their produce and its flavour and when you cook a steak well done it just eradicates all flavour from it.

When you cook a steak well done it also eradicates the blood oozing out in your mouth...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I bet my local butcher a tenner he wouldn't get me a steak down off his hanging rack. He refused. Said the steaks were too high.

I'll get me entrecôte :down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because HT there is a huge variation in the quality of the meat before it's cooked ?

True to a degree. But sourcing good meat which is well butchered, prepared and stored is a skill in itself. If more effort was put into this they'd be less variation in the steak on your plate....I think.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Anyone remember Won Kees? They didn't take any shit. I was told "If you don't want Heinecken you go elsewhere" when daring to ask what alternative lager they had.

Yes!

Used to go their a lot 15ish years ago as my night bus went from the bottom of Regent Street. Food was cheep and cheerful but the service was so bad it became a must at the end of the evening to see what they would do. Worst that happened to me was a waiter came up to me mid meal, picked up my plate and just said "you move" and then put me on a table with another couple. I found it hilarious, the couple didn't see the funny side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The point about reputation makes little sense, if I was sitting next to the chap eating my duck and lamb, I wouldn't think less of the chef because some HEATHEN has ordered a well done steak.

We tutted a bit, Repositioned ourselves to slightly face away from them, then let them get on with it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I bet my local butcher a tenner he wouldn't get me a steak down off his hanging rack. He refused. Said the steaks were too high.
That is the comedic equivalent of overcooking a decent cut of meat... :)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think this quote is the best answer I have seen:

tossers.png

Excuse the blurriness,or it might just be my post-prandial eyes!The more a steak is cooked,the lower it's fat content,quite important for health.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Am I the only one imagining the customer referred to at the top of this thread to be BensGrandad?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I have thought about it. Philosophically, the only two outlooks which are logically consistent are either eating meat or being vegan. Vegetarianism is a bit of a fudge.

But I'm not disciplined enough to be properly vegan so my compromise is 'vegan as much as possible'.

I agree, and I'm not strong enough either. Dairy I struggle with the most, which is a shame as the life of a dairy cow is probably the worst of all of the animals. I'm a bit like Bassic, my missus does the cooking at home during the week and the shopping, so we are vegan at home.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
When ive been to restaurants or done any catering courses at school I was always told the range of steaks between and including Blue, rare medium rare, medium and well done. also some people avoid raw meats for medical reasons I believe(bowl Cancer)?

I mean its not like these people are asking for steak battered and deep fried. Its like a chef who cooks omettes but refuses to do a prawn one because of some obscure hang up. If you cant do the job you are in the wrong job.

I love steak rare or medium rare at most but If someone wants it cooked through thenI dont see an issue beyond an arshole chef.

Lets be honest here, it is a profession for stuck up ********s. Cant think of any other job beyond military where people are addressed by their job title/rank.

Bottom line a good chef cooks food people want to eat.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Cooking a steak well done carbonates the meat, leading to a richer flavour and better texture.

And anyone that EATS BLOOD is a SAVAGE.

Carbon tastes of... carbon. That's it. Its not a rich flavour.

Its also not blood. Its water stained with some proteins. And good black pudding (which does have blood in it) is fantastic.

That said, if someone wants a well done steak they should get one but if they try to complain about it being tough/tasteless the chef should be allowed come out and laugh at them (rather than crying in kitchen). I suspect some people ask for it well done as they don't actually like the taste/texture but want to get something expensive 'as a treat'. Like my mother.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports