[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've got a bit of Luna. Just a bit. My small crypto chunks into 38% profit over the last week or so following a long period in the red...:mad:

I am not sure how small, small is for you, but a couple of useful links,

https://terra.smartstake.io/airdrops - This shows you the break even point for airdrops on each of the active protocols.(How many Luna you have to own and stake to make it worth your while.)

https://www.learn-terra.com/airdrops - This shows you what is in the pipeline and there is a helpful guide to staking Luna and claiming airdrops at the bottom of the page.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

https://terra.smartstake.io/airdrops - This shows you the break even point for airdrops on each of the active protocols.(How many Luna you have to own and stake to make it worth your while.)

https://www.learn-terra.com/airdrops - This shows you what is in the pipeline and there is a helpful guide to staking Luna and claiming airdrops at the bottom of the page.

Thanks CR, will have a read through, very good advice. :)

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Just help me clear my head on trading between cryptos and looking at coin pairs.

So, if I see BTC/USDT (US dollars) and the 24hr change is say -5% – I know that I am getting more BTC for my dollars compared to 24 hrs previously.

Now if I have ETH/BTC and the 2hr change is -5% – I'm getting more ETH for my BTC, but trading the other way, less BTC for my ETH, is that right?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm going to leave this here (and run away) because I think it's interesting and, in many ways, very accurate.

https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-street-fight-mortal-combat

got bit of way through, seems basic premise is bitcoin is different to different people. well thats true enough. just like gold is an asset to investor, a material to a jeweller, or a hedge against inflation to wingnuts. main problem for bitcoin maxis is they dont recognise its not a currency, just because it was created as one doesnt make it so. once this is accepted, we can all live with the contradictions and shortcomings.

also the writer needs to accept that many bitcoin maxis do genuinely believe in the "bitcoin will replace money" mantra, its not a ploy, just live in denial.

Last edited:

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010

Great info CR and enough in there to intrigue me so I’m invested in Luna and staking it right now. Looking like it’s on the rise too. Have you done anything with Anchor or Mirror protocols and taking out loans/ saving? It’s not as lucrative as it was a few months ago but could have returns of 20% APR by the looks of it

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Great info CR and enough in there to intrigue me so I’m invested in Luna and staking it right now. Looking like it’s on the rise too. Have you done anything with Anchor or Mirror protocols and taking out loans/ saving? It’s not as lucrative as it was a few months ago but could have returns of 20% APR by the looks of it

At the moment I am just slowly building on Mir, Anch and Mine - I have MINE-UST LP (200% APR and the price has gone from 0.1 USD to 0.212 USD) and ANC-UST LP and MIR staked for governance. There is a lot more I could be doing and when the market is less buoyant I intend to go back and take a deeper look. If you are on Twitter these should be of interest.

@alphaDefi_ Publish all the borrow and loan rates and historical movement. This is where to go to work out opportunities for differentials. [MENTION=14821]cpt[/MENTION]n3m0x Just published an interesting in depth analysis on Anchor suggesting the near 20% returns could be sustainable for at least the next couple of years.

I am having a little play on omni with differential rates. I am probably going to make a few dollars over a couple of months. Often with these things you need to have a play to understand the pitfalls.
I also had a little dabble with providing crypto insurance through BridgeMutual (BMI). This would be a fantastic model, if they hadn't used ERC20 contracts. The gas fees are absolutely extortionate, which makes a complete mockery of all Ethereums supposed superior utility and ecosystem.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

On a personal note I am around 20% up now on my crypto investments. My biggest mistake was I bought a lot of very good projects, based on how well they were doing in April and May. If you buy on the back of a lot of euphoria and a row of green candles, the most likely next movement is downward. I was down close to 50% not that long ago, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Things have picked up over the last couple of days and possibly more to come, barring another big bitcoin shock.

If you are thinking of investing go take a look at ALBT, the next couple of months could be huge.

ALBT was 24p then is now at 44p. I think there is an awful lot more to come and this remains my top tip to buy and stake.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Started with 1K investment end of May been as low as £700, now at £1400, swings and roundabouts, in it for the long game.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
On a personal note I am around 20% up now on my crypto investments. My biggest mistake was I bought a lot of very good projects, based on how well they were doing in April and May. If you buy on the back of a lot of euphoria and a row of green candles, the most likely next movement is downward. I was down close to 50% not that long ago, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Ha! Glad you've made it all back, I'm up around 40% on ADA and I think that is only going to get stronger. Ive moved a lot of my BTC in LUNA and will dabble with that and see how it goes. I think this weekend may be a research weekend as I'm stuck in China for the foreseeable future so not much else to do!!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Currently 120% up on mine ;-)

And things have not even got interesting yet.... end of year and into New Year will be carnage.

beware of the FUD

Take your profits when you are happy with them. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get out at the top or even close to it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I joined the party just before the crash and ploughed more and more money in as i wrongly predicted the bottom.
Nightmare.
Ended up 55% down on a massive outlay. I completely ****** myself over.
Ive taken half my money out on the back of the recent rise and have reached the dizzy heights of 20% down on what’s left of my initial outlay. Yay.
Annoyingly I would be in profit by now if I hadn’t dicked around day trading. I will hold long term now.
Be careful to anyone getting into crypto. When it goes up, it’s a beautiful thing, but it can go down spectacularly. Think through whether you can handle those ups and downs, when your hard earned money is at stake.
Long term there are wise sages who say values will go up loads. But there are no guarantees.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I joined the party just before the crash and ploughed more and more money in as i wrongly predicted the bottom.
Nightmare.
Ended up 55% down on a massive outlay. I completely ****** myself over.
Ive taken half my money out on the back of the recent rise and have reached the dizzy heights of 20% down on what’s left of my initial outlay. Yay.
Annoyingly I would be in profit by now if I hadn’t dicked around day trading. I will hold long term now.
Be careful to anyone getting into crypto. When it goes up, it’s a beautiful thing, but it can go down spectacularly. Think through whether you can handle those ups and downs, when your hard earned money is at stake.
Long term there are wise sages who say values will go up loads. But there are no guarantees.

Glad you are recovering the outlay.

Holding is really the only sensible route.

And only spend what you can afford to lose.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ha! Glad you've made it all back, I'm up around 40% on ADA and I think that is only going to get stronger. Ive moved a lot of my BTC in LUNA and will dabble with that and see how it goes. I think this weekend may be a research weekend as I'm stuck in China for the foreseeable future so not much else to do!!

Hopefully you can get a stream for our game. Football is a much better place for impossible dreams than crypto.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Hopefully you can get a stream for our game. Football is a much better place for impossible dreams than crypto.
Yep I have a box that has every sports channel on it, including USA etc which means all games are available live to me, some minor perks for being out of the country!

Hi can anyone recommend a good exchange which doesn't charge massive fees or spread. In only have GBP bank account. I've left Binance as I can't deposit any more. Using eTorro as a temporary measure but their spread fees are up to 4% so can't use it for quick pump and dump. NB I would be looking around 10k. A few sites restrict large deposits or withdrawals

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hi can anyone recommend a good exchange which doesn't charge massive fees or spread. In only have GBP bank account. I've left Binance as I can't deposit any more. Using eTorro as a temporary measure but their spread fees are up to 4% so can't use it for quick pump and dump. NB I would be looking around 10k. A few sites restrict large deposits or withdrawals

Coinbase Pro. Do not use Coinbase itself (except to do all the learn and earn to pick up free tokens), Pro has lower fees. Also Kraken, Bitstamp, CEX.io, all GBP friendly and low <0.5% fees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports