Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
THPP still on his Crypto is the devil rant i see lol

I’m not far behind him TBH. Everything I can see points me toward the POV that blockchain technology is valid and has potential practical applications in the wider economy.

Cryptocurrencies however, are shady unregulated mechanisms by which money can be laundered and mug punters fleeced. I suspect that those who did well out of Bitcoin first time around are the only people who genuinely “won” at cryptocurrency.

The rest feels to me like people chasing that dream and getting defrauded at every point.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I’m not far behind him TBH. Everything I can see points me toward the POV that blockchain technology is valid and has potential practical applications in the wider economy.

Cryptocurrencies however, are shady unregulated mechanisms by which money can be laundered and mug punters fleeced. I suspect that those who did well out of Bitcoin first time around are the only people who genuinely “won” at cryptocurrency.

The rest feels to me like people chasing that dream and getting defrauded at every point.

They are far more regulated than you think. But of course there are scams like in any market class.

More regulation is coming, when that regulation hits, the big financial institution money will fly in, then the chance for huge gains will be reduced dramatically i suspect.

Currently there is still massive opportunity for huge gains, its up to people to decide if they want to properly research what they are investing in.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

That's what it looks like to me also. Blockchain technology (possibly/probably) becoming mainstream while the coins are invaluable to criminal enterprises and market manipulators.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The crypto markets do not seem to be able to differentiate beween innovation and novelty, as summed up in the image below, so everyone should be cynical. If you want to write off the entire market, your loss.

Hedera passed 20 Billiion transactions yesterday. Visa started offering stable coin settlements via Solana.

https://fortune.com/crypto/2023/09/05/visa-stablecoin-usdc-solana-worldpay-nuvei-merchants-payments/
https://coinjournal.net/news/hedera-hbar-hits-major-milestone-with-20-billion-transactions/

F5Voo6yXcAAl0kK.jpg

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They are far more regulated than you think. But of course there are scams like in any market class.

More regulation is coming, when that regulation hits, the big financial institution money will fly in, then the chance for huge gains will be reduced dramatically i suspect.

Currently there is still massive opportunity for huge gains, its up to people to decide if they want to properly research what they are investing in.
How do you do that research? Is there a government regulator that you can ask? Where is the balance sheet of bitcoin that shows the coins issued and the underlying assets backing them up? Who are the individuals on the board of bitcoin that are ultimately responsible for the performance of the company? Who owns bitcoin?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
any other OP holders got unregulated airdrop yesturday? :smile:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I bet you use a bank.

A bank that rips far more people off yearly than any crypto project does.

Anything that is centralised is far easier to be corrupted and controlled. Agreed?

The idea of the crypto space is to herald in a decentralised option to counter the corrupt controlled systems that exist now.

If you can't see what's happening now with Governments and the Banks that are trying to remove cash and replace it with CBDCs then you're destined to be controlled your whole life.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
How do you do that research? Is there a government regulator that you can ask? Where is the balance sheet of bitcoin that shows the coins issued and the underlying assets backing them up? Who are the individuals on the board of bitcoin that are ultimately responsible for the performance of the company? Who owns bitcoin?

Nobody "owns" Bitcoin.

That's the whole point of it.

Decentralised from Government interference.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not me. Layer-2 blockchains not something I am really interested in. Why was the airdrop unregulated?
was having poke at the previous posts on regulation. these silly unregulated operations are passing out assets to people, giving them a stake in the crypto future for nothing more than cost of a few transactions. something everyone in the space should be interested in.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I bet you use a bank.

A bank that rips far more people off yearly than any crypto project does.

Anything that is centralised is far easier to be corrupted and controlled. Agreed?

The idea of the crypto space is to herald in a decentralised option to counter the corrupt controlled systems that exist now.

If you can't see what's happening now with Governments and the Banks that are trying to remove cash and replace it with CBDCs then you're destined to be controlled your whole life.

It all sounds dangerously close to tin foil hat territory to me. An uncontrolled by central bank token is fine by me, but the real world has to buy into it willingly.

There are absolutely dangers in becoming cashless as a society, it effectively means your money is always under somebody else’s control, whereas, as a last resort, you can keep cash under your mattress or in the safe behind your original Monet.

But in fact the government controls cash anyway, because every few years government changes the physical design of bank notes and forces them all to be handed in and exchanged for new notes for them to remain legal tender. You could invest in gold or art, but again these need to be housed and/or protected.

What you describe as control, many others see as security. The security of a regulated, legally backed framework to prevent shysters simply draining your wallet and walking away.

In a bank, If I keep under the regulatory maximum amount of cash in my account, and I am defrauded through no fault of my own or the bank fails, I am reimbursed. If that happens in crypto world, that’s my tough luck, I was pwned, it’s a libertarian shyster’s wet dream.

Regulation and defined responsibility are not bad things in the real world. Crypto kids come across as spoiled teenagers who “just don’t wanna follow rules.”

When there is regulation and legal responsibility I’ll look at it again. Until then it’s just a shortcut to getting robbed with zero comeback.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It all sounds dangerously close to tin foil hat territory to me. An uncontrolled by central bank token is fine by me, but the real world has to buy into it willingly.

How is it tin foil hat when Governments are already speaking of CBDCs?

They want to control how you spend your money.
There are absolutely dangers in becoming cashless as a society, it effectively means your money is always under somebody else’s control, whereas, as a last resort, you can keep cash under your mattress or in the safe behind your original Monet.

There's already businesses not accepting cash.

But in fact the government controls cash anyway, because every few years government changes the physical design of bank notes and forces them all to be handed in and exchanged for new notes for them to remain legal tender. You could invest in gold or art, but again these need to be housed and/or protected.

What you describe as control, many others see as security. The security of a regulated, legally backed framework to prevent shysters simply draining your wallet and walking away.

In a bank, If I keep under the regulatory maximum amount of cash in my account, and I am defrauded through no fault of my own or the bank fails, I am reimbursed. If that happens in crypto world, that’s my tough luck, I was pwned, it’s a libertarian shyster’s wet dream.

Regulation and defined responsibility are not bad things in the real world. Crypto kids come across as spoiled teenagers who “just don’t wanna follow rules.”

When there is regulation and legal responsibility I’ll look at it again. Until then it’s just a shortcut to getting robbed with zero comeback.

The thing about rules is they are made up by biased, corrupt, self serving politicians and policy makers.

It's understandable why many people do not trust or respect many of these rules.

In the real world Government's steal money from the people and call it "tax". Theft is perfectly fine by most of the people who cry about crypto.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This is the balance sheet, simple code.
BTC.png

There is no underlying asset back it up.

There is no company or board, similarly no one owns the bitcoin company or brand etc. Arguably people who run nodes are responsible for the performance, requiring consensus for proposed changes. Anyone can run a node.

Also, bitcoin ≠ crypto more broadly, although there are obviously mainly similarities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here