[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

havent ventured on here for a while, been nursing my wounds. DCAing is sucking me dry as everything continues to fall.One piece of advice, if you dont have time to dedicate HOURS a day to it, dont day trade. ive been murdered several times. Once opened a trade, forgot about it, went to visit family and 6 hours later i had wiped out 20% of my portfolio because i set the stop loss wrong!

oh and for any newbies on here AVOID KRAKEN LIKE THE PLAGUE....
1) They are now VERY uncompetitive with fees which start at 0.26% for margin trading and only come down once youve spent millions. They also seem to charge taker fees even when placing limit orders. I opened an account on Bybit and the maker fee is 0.01% so 26 times cheaper. Even the taker fee is only 0.06%
2) Their app is ridiculously slow on Android unless you have a bang up to date Samsung or £1k plus phone..
3) They dont support OCO orders (ie you can place a stoploss and seperately a take profit BUT if one fires the other doesn't cancel) I got caught badly during the "merge" when i had an ETH long open which filled at my TP and then sunk, hit my SL and so bought back and then continued falling and i woke up to find i was liquidated after it dropped over $200
4) They dont support slippage limits in a low liquidity market . eg i had a stop loss on Sand which should have sold at $1 but was filled at 75c and 30 seconds later the price was back over $1 again. (flash crash). Now most decent sites wont fill if the price slips more than 5% from your SL specifically to prevent this.

have loads more examples but wont bore you. Have only stayed with them as they do offer decent staking returns but once i sell them its byebye Kraken.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
havent ventured on here for a while, been nursing my wounds. DCAing is sucking me dry as everything continues to fall.One piece of advice, if you dont have time to dedicate HOURS a day to it, dont day trade. ive been murdered several times. Once opened a trade, forgot about it, went to visit family and 6 hours later i had wiped out 20% of my portfolio because i set the stop loss wrong!

Getting stop loss wrong….yep, been there done that.
Have you managed to recover your losses ? I remember you had a bad run of it

Getting stop loss wrong….yep, been there done that.
Have you managed to recover your losses ? I remember you had a bad run of it

lol no. put it this way, if BTC hits 100k and ETH hits 10k and MATIC hits $5 i'll have about half my investment back!! .lost 5k on Luna alone which at the time was 20% of what i had left after the November crash!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Quick question.

Who is still hanging on in there and who has withdrawn licking their wounds?

For the record I am clawing my way back slowly and am currently around 15% down. At one point I was over 70% down. The demise of Luna hit me hard and it kicked off a run of events, which undermined confidence in crypto in general.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Im down about $844 with only $400 left. most coins are 48-89% down. no point cashing in. may as well leave it and see if it ever climbs back up.

my Doge is down 89.9% - musk has a lot to answer for.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
As I've said before, after many years, all my sitting crypto is built on profit; I've long since got back the original gamble and then some so to me it's stuff I can afford to lose. Everything is in a hold position at the moment and where possible staked but that's been the case since before the big collapse due to managing my capital gains exposure and creaming off the top of my trading account. I've always only held infrastructure crypto which generally seems to be the more stable but my portfolio is probably down 60-80% against its peak value. With the staking however it's grown in volume which is all I can hope for at the moment. For me it's wait and see. I'm in no rush to remove the staked crypto and start trading it right now unless there's opportunity elsewhere and at the moment, I'm not seeing much to excite.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im still standing though not active aside a trying to work up a small trading account. 75% down from peak and trying to work out how to report the profits to minimise tax due. :lolol:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If you want to try metaverse ownership, Oland is still making big strides. It's currently free to claim a piece of the metaverse, only an email needed.

"Meet the ōRouter - the world's first 'Web3 Router'. Access Crypto, NFT's DeFi and more without an internet or cellular connection." :facepalm: ffs projects like this harm crypto.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I used Revolut and took a punt on £500 of Cardano, leaving £14 in the current account. Cardano now £117. Won't be long before the crypto account is lower than the current account.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Was 8k down at one point in 2021, now about £900 down. Ive got about £500 still in crypto after selling 2k worth towards end of Sep. Thinking of buying back in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whoops - Bitcoin down 10% today

Double whammy:

- Binance's CZ tweets causing Sam Bankman-Fried's FTX to tank
- US regulator declares (LBRY) crypto company digital assets to be securities ie require regulation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108-191738_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-191738_Chrome.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Had £1200 stolen a year or so ago (not my money) by some Ghanaian con hackers and police couldn’t get it back. Just to warn anyone - use 2 factor protection.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
made few hundred shorting FTX. :thumbsup:
lost a few thousand on spot. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports