Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of shooting for The Premier League

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
QPR seem to be another club that are doing it without much concern for the FFP rules hoovering any talent they can up in a bid to get to the premier league. Will be very amusing for everyone if one of these clubs that is doing this does fail and the possible penalties they might be going to receive for not follow the FFP guidelines

Correct me if i am wrong but aren't Bolton in ALOT of debt surely they will be one of the first to face punishment?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Correct me if i am wrong but aren't Bolton in ALOT of debt surely they will be one of the first to face punishment?

Historic debt, although it tends to generate further debt if it is interest bearing isn't included in the FFP calculations, as far as I was aware. It's the change in debt levels each year that is measured.

Of course a massive debt is generally bad news anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is why FFP has to be enforced rigourously. For Cardiff and Hull read Leicester and Forest. This transfer window will be very interesting from an FFP perspective.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Leicester, Forest, QPR, Leeds, Reading, Blackburn and Wigan are all spending heavily to get promoted. Even if all 3 promoted teams are from this group it still leaves 4 that won't be - and that's when the reality will kick-in and we'll find out if FFP is to mean anything other than a good intention.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Leicester, Forest, QPR, Leeds, Reading, Blackburn and Wigan are all spending heavily to get promoted. Even if all 3 promoted teams are from this group it still leaves 4 that won't be - and that's when the reality will kick-in and we'll find out if FFP is to mean anything other than a good intention.

QPR, Reading and Wigan get a 'by' in their first year following relegation as regards FFP - Forest have got their generous 'sponsorship' deal to cover their losses which leaves Leicester and Blackburn from that list - neither of which are likely to be the biggest 'offenders' against FFP

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Tell us more???

We made just over an 8m loss in 11/12, it won't be a surprise if it's similar for 12/13. I'd also expect the club to have brought forward as many costs as possible into the 12/13 season from the this season to make conformance with FFP easier.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just wait until the Albion announce their losses in the next few weeks.

Are you guessing or are do you have inside knowledge?

I'm no accountant but would it not be in the club's interest to declare as much as they can in last year's accounts to minimise this years losses to come in line with FFP?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
QPR, Reading and Wigan get a 'by' in their first year following relegation as regards FFP - Forest have got their generous 'sponsorship' deal to cover their losses which leaves Leicester and Blackburn from that list - neither of which are likely to be the biggest 'offenders' against FFP

Forest's sponsorship deal is clearly in breach of the FFP rules regarding related parties.

I don't know about Reading, but I can't see Dave Whelan of Wigan throwing over 8m of his own money at getting them back up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forest's sponsorship deal is clearly in breach of the FFP rules regarding related parties.

The deal itself doesn't break the rules, only if it is deemed above market value.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are you guessing or are do you have inside knowledge?

I'm no accountant but would it not be in the club's interest to declare as much as they can in last year's accounts to minimise this years losses to come in line with FFP?

I don't have any inside knowledge but with the Albion having to depreciate the stadium this year, the wages paid to Bridge, PIG, Crofts, Upson and Ulloa, new deals for the likes of Buckley, and Barber taking time to identify the overspends elsewhere, any losses of less than £15 million would be reasonable IMO.

I agree with you about accelerating expenditure.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't have any inside knowledge but with the Albion having to depreciate the stadium this year, the wages paid to Bridge, PIG, Crofts, Upson and Ulloa, new deals for the likes of Buckley, and Barber taking time to identify the overspends elsewhere, any losses of less than £15 million would be reasonable IMO.

What year are we waiting for ? Does the additional seating come into play, and the change of method of finance for the transport ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Would depreciation come into it for the club's accounts? I thought a separate entity owned the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here