Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Sebastian Payne [MENTION=13834]Seba[/MENTION]stianEPayne
Very important news from Matt Hancock in the Commons, confirming Covid jabs are working. Out of 12,383 Delta variant cases in UK till June 3rd:

- 464 people went to emergency care
- 126 admitted to hospital
- 83 were unvaccinated
- 28 had one jab
- Just 3 both doses
Bear in mind that if there were no vaccine at all, the "double vaccine" cohort (about half the country) would have had about 99% of the hospital cases. So if 83 unvaccinated people have gone to hospital, then (allowing for even half of them being over-age people who for whatever reason chose not to be jabbed) you would expect 4,000 or so hospitalisations of the double-jabbed people. And we got 3. That's 99.9% protection. Wow.

This vaccine is making strides in restricting the spread of the disease as well. Earlier figures after 9,000 or so cases confirmed that people who were double-jabbed were about 97% protected from even getting the disease, which is why the hospitalisation protection is so very very high.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Hospital admissions much lower than any Sage prediction even with rising cases.

Snip.png

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My mate has just had his 1st jab. Bruno was just ahead of him in the queue.

If that isn't good news, then I don't know what is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just had my second OAZ at the Brighton Centre. Busier than the first time, lots of young adults in the queues ... staff said they’d been quick on the draw in booking their first jab.

Apparently 150,000 jabs had been administered at the Brighton Centre by this time last week. An incredible effort by all!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It may seem strange but there is some good news in the rising case numbers. We have been at this stage 3 release from lockdown for a few weeks now, and the Delta variant has been loose for a similar time. Plenty of time for the " nightmare scenario" of a third wave of vaccine busting variants to start hitting the vaccinated group.

The fact that there is the expected increase in cases but not an increase in hospitalisations and severe illness leading to deaths , and those hospitalisations are by and large the un vaccinated group, proves the vaccine is doing its job rather than there be no cases and we are left wondering if its just a lull in case numbers.

We wont eliminate this thing, but we are I think well on the way to having it contained

I hope that makes sense!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It may seem strange but there is some good news in the rising case numbers. We have been at this stage 3 release from lockdown for a few weeks now, and the Delta variant has been loose for a similar time. Plenty of time for the " nightmare scenario" of a third wave of vaccine busting variants to start hitting the vaccinated group.

The fact that there is the expected increase in cases but not an increase in hospitalisations and severe illness leading to deaths , and those hospitalisations are by and large the un vaccinated group, proves the vaccine is doing its job rather than there be no cases and we are left wondering if its just a lull in case numbers.

We wont eliminate this thing, but we are I think well on the way to having it contained

I hope that makes sense!

..... and (pre Delta variant) scientists without an angle had said back in January/February expect to see a significant rise in cases as we unlock, without a strain put on the NHS.

It goes with the territory in removing social distancing in a largely vaccinated population, part of the plan.

Saltdean Seagull

Aug 21, 2011

I hope that makes sense!

I was literally just saying this to the wife whilst we devoured a pasta Bolognese. We are definitely in the final furlong of containment and getting back out the AMEX in August. :ascarf:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I hope that makes sense!

It makes a lot of sense and demonstrates that we are close to getting there. This is why I would not be upset at a pausing of the June 21 date for a short while to allow the vaccinations to have another few weeks to top up the nation. I am not sure what the ideal number is for the positive tipping point but once we reach it then we can open up with the fullest of confidence.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I hope that makes sense!

Exactly this......slight irony given all the commentary when the whole thing started in that with the vaccine it is now becoming a 'bit like flu' in how it's impacting.............if you've had the jab you almost certainly won't get seriously ill, if you're a kid you probably won't even catch it. Even those going into hospital are staying there for far shorter periods, with a much smaller % ending up in ITU (partly down to more effective treatments being developed, and partly due to the younger average age of people going in). The noisy press are still sqwuaking about 'dramatic rises' in infection numbers, but they are still very small compared to the peaks we'eve seen.............the jab race is going to outrun the growth in infections I reckon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC SE have just looked at the impact on hospitals from rising cases of the Delta variant over recent weeks.

In effect, there’s been none.

Just 8 patients with Covid in the entire region covering Surrey, Brighton & Hove, East Sussex and Kent.

That’s 8 in 3.9 million.

Just 1 in Brighton and Hove.

I wish the national news channels would mention positive news too.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
BBC SE have just looked at the impact on hospitals from rising cases of the Delta variant over recent weeks.

Just 8 patients with Covid in the entire region covering Surrey, Brighton & Hove, East Sussex and Kent.

That’s 8 in 3.9 million.

They dont and they wont because all they want to do is peddle negativity and fear. Your post perfectly illustrates why there is no conceivable logic to keeping restrictions in place. I honestly believe the "experts" are just desperate to keep some relevance and control over how we live our lives by keep wanting to draw this thing out. There shouldnt be a single vulnerable person in this country that hasnt had two jabs if they want them, and that group were pretty much all the deaths in previous phases. So why are we even contemplating extensions?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They dont and they wont because all they want to do is peddle negativity and fear. Your post perfectly illustrates why there is no conceivable logic to keeping restrictions in place. I honestly believe the "experts" are just desperate to keep some relevance and control over how we live our lives by keep wanting to draw this thing out. There shouldnt be a single vulnerable person in this country that hasnt had two jabs if they want them, and that group were pretty much all the deaths in previous phases. So why are we even contemplating extensions?

Fair play to BBC SE (far more positive than misery stirrers such as Sky) for giving this a bit of depth. All I had to do was check out the population of the region, to come out with an astonishing stat.

I think there are balanced experts such as Dr Chris Smith and then other scientists motivated elsewhere (eg seeking perfection .... which is imho unobtainable, or tunnel vision for restrictions ad infinitum at the cost of everything else such as mental health, businesses going bust, hospital waiting lists growing, or with no sense of empathy for all the teens and young adults missing out on all the things most other generations did in those years of freedom, or a petty party political agenda).

I was on Brighton seafront on Saturday evening. A sight to behold, 10,000’s packing out the pier and every outside bar in sight, queues to get in Pryzm and Walkabout. Barely a mask in sight. Who can blame them? The virus is controlled in our neck of the woods, the vulnerable have had umpteenth opportunities to get vaccinated and our hospitals have virtually zero Covid patients.

I disagreed with many of your posts this time last year, but with the current circumstances whole heartedly agree with you.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

That’s 8 in 3.9 million.

Or how it’s affecting other countries it’s in.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Vaccinations and money unfortunately

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vaccinations and money unfortunately

Miserablists too, have you heard some of the negatively loaded interviews even when things are going well?

Plus some folk seem in general to resent others going to the pub, having friends round or travelling overseas on holiday. The pandemic has seen these miserable curtain twitchers find a platform.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Does citing conspiracy theories belong in the "good news thread" out of interest? Seen a fair few times where people haven't wanted a discussion about the reasoning behind lockdowns/approaching things with caution etc so I think it works both ways...

Put simply models were put in place for the spread of the delta variant and the fact the true vaccine effectiveness is unknown ( the same models that predicted the severity of the second wave which some of the "experts" here said would never happen last summer). Mixed with rising cases of course there should be caution. What exactly do you want to do that you cant do at the moment? We've had a month of sitting inside restaurants and pubs, cinemas reopening. Hardly like you're locked in your living room is it? (I think this is good news)

The hospital data is hugely encouraging at the moment, vaccine speed is fantastic, all good news. So how about keeping your personal theories about why caution is still in place to yourselves...or maybe make a whacky youtube video explaining them to those that might want to listen.....

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Does citing conspiracy theories belong in the "good news thread" out of interest? Seen a fair few times where people haven't wanted discussion about the reasoning behind lockdowns/approaching things with caution etc so I think it works both ways...

Put simply models were put in place for the spread of the delta variant and the fact the true vaccine effectiveness is unknown ( the same models that predicted the severity of the second wave which some of the "experts" here said would never happen last summer). Mixed with rising cases of course there should be caution. What exactly do you want to do that you cant do at the open? We've had a month of sitting inside restaurants and pubs, cinemas reopening. Hardly like you're locked in your living room is it? (I think this is good news)

The hospital data is hugely encouraging at the moment, vaccine speed is fantastic, all good news. So how about keeping your personal theories about why caution is still in place to yourselves...or maybe make a whacky youtube video explaining them to those that might want to listen.....

Bore off. This is the good news thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here