[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I love this thread - it's the first one I open each day when I log-on to NSC :thumbsup:.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sorry but if its already been mentioned but I beleive yesterday we passed the peak of the first wave of number of people in hospital with covid. In the first wave it was 21,683 on 12th April for the UK and now it is 21,001, and also given the improvement in treatments many more people are staying in hospital for longer, if we were to compare the figure like for like we would have a considerable number less in hospital as unfortuantely many of them would have already died in the first wave.

Given many scientists and government figures have used this information, that people in hospital is still beyond the first peak, I am surprised more has not been made of this.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sorry but if its already been mentioned but I beleive yesterday we passed the peak of the first wave of number of people in hospital with covid. In the first wave it was 21,683 on 12th April for the UK and now it is 21,001, and also given the improvement in treatments many more people are staying in hospital for longer, if we were to compare the figure like for like we would have a considerable number less in hospital as unfortuantely many of them would have already died in the first wave.

Given many scientists and government figures have used this information, that people in hospital is still beyond the first peak, I am surprised more has not been made of this.

Had to read this though a couple of times to fully understand your point, but I don’t think that having almost the same number of people in hospital at the moment as we did at the height of the first wave is something to celebrate particularly, albeit that the number continues to head in the right direction. It just shows how much worse the second wave really was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had to read this though a couple of times to fully understand your point, but I don’t think that having almost the same number of people in hospital at the moment as we did at the height of the first wave is something to celebrate particularly, albeit that the number continues to head in the right direction. It just shows how much worse the second wave really was.

It's almost halved in this wave now and is dropping at around 25% a week. Hope this continues.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I stuck this on another thread the other day but it does a job of explaining how a ramp up in dose-giving (provided it's done in the right window) can have a pretty profound effect on roll-out times

Interesting thread on vaccination rates and how ramping them up could alter the picture significantly

[TWEET]1361378546460024839[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1361378554429267974[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1361378557793042434[/TWEET]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The supply is going to be the key.

It will depend on how quickly we can get at the millions of Moderna and whether any others can be approved and distributed in time to help us really ramp up the first doses through April and May.

Anyone got any inside track on how these are doing?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The supply is going to be the key.

It will depend on how quickly we can get at the millions of Moderna and whether any others can be approved and distributed in time to help us really ramp up the first doses through April and May.

Anyone got any inside track on how these are doing?

I wonder if there is a hope the one shot will be available in decent numbers for the mass rollout. Also though it was 2 or 3 weeks back I'm sure there were plans for AZ to supply 100 million doses here by end of June.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
5F9EE27E-8ACF-47AF-A5F8-D66DD762F84C.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Data update :

Infections - 12,708, rolling 7 day down 24.8%
Deaths - 738, rolling 7 day down 26%
Admissions - 1,415, rolling 7 day down 25.6%
Vaccinations - 364,865 (down a little on number reported last Weds - interestingly, the number of second doses has gone from 1.5k to 6k to 12k in the last 3 days, so maybe these are starting to impact now)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just had my jab (Pfizer) so feel free to rejoice away.

Nice one.

Just picked up a prescription at my local Health Centre, which is also now a vaccination centre. Lots of people arriving for jabs and brilliant looking organisation from local volunteers.

Very different from late spring last year where it was deserted ghost town of a place with frightened looking staff.

Beginning of the end :thumbsup:

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Had the jab this morning,suffering flu like symptoms, cold then burning up plus headache and feeling a bit rough.Had the same thing when I had the flu jab last year.Because of the self isolating I gave it a miss this year.Generally very fit although years ago I did have an anaphylactic reaction to what I assumed was a bee sting in Crete.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Had the jab this morning,suffering flu like symptoms, cold then burning up plus headache and feeling a bit rough.Had the same thing when I had the flu jab last year.Because of the self isolating I gave it a miss this year.Generally very fit although years ago I did have an anaphylactic reaction to what I assumed was a bee sting in Crete.

Which one did you get AZ or Pfizer?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Just had my jab (Pfizer) so feel free to rejoice away.

You deserve that for typing out all of that fan's forum stuff if nothing else!

Stumpy Tim

I know of quite a few people who had the AZ one, and all of them apart from one had the same. Usually lasts 24-28 hours apparently

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports