[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
.... where Covid is something I might catch, like flu, but less likely as I'm fully vaxed...

As I understand you're just as likely to catch it as anyone else, but if you do the symptoms will be lessened and you stand a much smaller chance of being hospitalised or dying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, obviously!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As I understand you're just as likely to catch it as anyone else, but if you do the symptoms will be lessened and you stand a much smaller chance of being hospitalised or dying.

I don't know - some anecdotal evidence further back in this thread suggests a degree of resistance to infection too. I guess we won't know all the answers for a long time - but if it stops me needing to be put into an induced coma on a ventilator, or actually dying, I'm in!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0607-mrna-reduce-risks.html
A new CDC study finds the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) reduce the risk of infection by 91 percent for fully vaccinated people. This adds to the growing body of real-world evidence of their effectiveness.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-jab-reduces-covid-infection-rate-by-65-study
One shot of the Oxford/AstraZeneca or Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine reduces coronavirus infections by nearly two-thirds and protects older and more vulnerable people as much as younger, healthy individuals, a study has found.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Unfortunately this thread has become harder and harder for the "really concerned about covid and understand why restrictions are in place" to look through. Shame as was great at first.Think personally will bow out myself and leave them to it.

EDIT - Not saying this is relevant to everyone, there is still some genuinely great stuff being posted, just with too many arguments inbetween.

How about those concerned about Covid but don't understand why the country is being crippled with the restrictions?

They get shot down on here at every opportunity

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately this thread has become harder and harder for the "really concerned about covid and understand why restrictions are in place" to look through. Shame as was great at first.Think personally will bow out myself and leave them to it.

EDIT - Not saying this is relevant to everyone, there is still some genuinely great stuff being posted, just with too many arguments inbetween.

Genuinely sorry to hear this.

This thread should be purely for positive, uplifting news (backed where possible by evidence) about the crap situation we’re all in.

It should be for everyone regardless of whether they feel we’re going too fast, or not fast enough.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Genuinely sorry to hear this.

This thread should be purely for positive, uplifting news (backed where possible by evidence) about the crap situation we’re all in.

It should be for everyone regardless of whether they feel we’re going too fast, or not fast enough.

Hear hear. There's a whole sub-forum for all that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I understand (i) you're just as likely to catch it as anyone else, but (ii) if you do the symptoms will be lessened and you stand a much smaller chance of being hospitalised or dying.

(i) Incorrect, unless by 'catch it ' you mean all the way down to having it in you, with no symptoms and no viable virus in you to pass on

(ii) Correct

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0607-mrna-reduce-risks.html
A new CDC study finds the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) reduce the risk of infection by 91 percent for fully vaccinated people. This adds to the growing body of real-world evidence of their effectiveness. .

The age old question. Does this mean on average each vaccinated person gets Covid but it is only 9% as nasty/spreadable as the unvaccinated version, or does it mean only 9% of vaccinated people will get COVID. The two are very different, and my current perception is the former, not the latter is correct.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1417204235356213252[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That post is grotesque :shrug:

Perhaps you should have highlighted the whole sentence then ? I stand by my comments, many people have forgotten about the victims of lockdown, and only care about the victims of covid.
Suicide and mental health is not something to be brushed aside, quite frankly that is grotesque.

Please take this discussion somewhere else……..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps you should have highlighted the whole sentence then ? I stand by my comments, many people have forgotten about the victims of lockdown, and only care about the victims of covid.
Suicide and mental health is not something to be brushed aside, quite frankly that is grotesque.

Never would, never did.

It isn't mental health or protect from covid, one or the other. You live in a very restrictive black and white world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Promising signs…….

36B29B40-B756-43DD-BBCC-114B7D296D12.jpeg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Had to use a train to Croydon for the first time in a while today.

Apx 50% of passengers using masks.

Good news whatever side of the fence you want to use

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports