Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
[TWEET]1375041577614200834[/TWEET]

Daily new cases had been creeping up for a week or so, so this is good news. Hopefully the returning to schools "bump" is calming down as cases are spotted and isolated, alongside daily vaccinations putting more and more pressure on R.

Tim Spector did say a week or two ago that he was expecting a levelling off or slight rise before dopping again, though I am not sure why. As per various posts above there are multiple recent changes, in testing regime, with schools returning and vaccinations rising which together make the infection rate figures very hard to 'read' at the moment.

Hospital admissions are probably the key indicator for me now, in terms of what is really going on (deaths are important of course, but really only tell us what was going on several weeks ago, which we already know). The fact that admissions are still dropping, three weeks after schools returned is definitely good news.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My last post then on this thread. I am not and never have participated in head in the clouds happy clappy church way of life so I'll leave you all to it.

The light at the end of this very dark tunnel is getting brighter and brighter and that's the only thing that matters.

cheerio.

There certainly is a fine line between positivity and denial, which I agree has been crossed at times. At least Karol Sikora's tweets seem to have disappeared.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There certainly is a fine line between positivity and denial, which I agree has been crossed at times. At least Karol Sikora's tweets seem to have disappeared.

Sure. But the direction in the OP (which I've quoted below again as people rarely go back to post 1 of a circa 7000 post thread) couldn't be clearer, could it?

Please post positive news relating to Coronavirus in this thread

For each post, include a link to somewhere that, in your opinion, appears to be a legitimate source, along with a short precis or quote relating to the news.

I think it's now accepted that personal good news stories and getting vaccinated are also acceptable and very likely to cheer the mood of the reader.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Rule of thumb on this.

If the persons tweet is followed by hashtags such as "defund the BBC" "Farage's army", it's probably closer to denial

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I've got my first jab on Monday and Mrs Crodo is on Wednesday. :clap2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
11A5DA3E-6FA7-4257-B4A9-78042A82EE5F.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update :

Infections - 6,397, rolling 7 day down 2%
Deaths - 63, rolling 7 day down 31.4%
Admissions - 354, rolling 7 day down 19.8%
Vaccs - 337k 1st and a colossal 242k 2nd, cumulative 29m and 2.8m
People in hospital - 5,122 (so that's over 600 people out when you add back the 354 that went in)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My last post then on this thread. I am not and never have participated in head in the clouds happy clappy church way of life so I'll leave you all to it.

The light at the end of this very dark tunnel is getting brighter and brighter and that's the only thing that matters.

cheerio.

Couldn't even flounce without a final dig at those using this thread to counter the negativity. Poor.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The head of NHS England has recommended lowering the health service's COVID emergency alert level because of reduced hospital admissions.

Chief executive Sir Simon Stevens said there are currently 4,000 patients being treated for coronavirus in hospital - down from 34,000 in mid-January.

Because of "much reduced acute pressures on the health service", he said he was "recommending that we reduce the national alert level across the health service from level four to level three and that would take effect today".

Sir Simon said there are still 400 more patients in hospital than on this day a year ago, but there had been a "very sharp decrease" nevertheless.

That was due to "both declining infection rates across the community and the impact that's now being felt from the vaccination programme".

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-covi...l-should-be-lowered-health-boss-says-12256386

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
With the way deaths are dropping at such a fast rate, it’s really hard to see how we are in a position where restaurants/ indoor hospitality etc won’t be allowed to open for another 7 weeks. If it continues to decrease at the 40% per week it has done for a while now we will be at under 20 deaths per day at some time next month.

C0603A27-AC63-45B7-8FC2-D5CB6B182ABB.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update - note the small increase in infections - nothing to get concerned about, as expected following return to school but (so far at least) not impacting admissions/deaths which continue to plummet which is the key :

Infections - 6,187, rolling 7 day up 6.4% (1.275m tests)
Deaths - 70, rolling 7 day down 28.5% (7 days - 489)
Admissions - 354, rolling 7 day down 21.9%
Vaccs - 324k 1st and 234k 2nd, cumulative 29.3m and 3m
People in hospital - 4,852

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here