Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I’ve been bumped to category 6 as an over 60 and a carer... can’t come soon enough!

Even more good news, I have just received a call concerning our 18 year old granddaughter, who lives with us.

She has learning difficulties and locally has been identified as being vulnerable and is going for her vaccination this evening

Just me left to do..

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think the Sussex area is lagging behind a bit.

Me & Mrs SS [58] got jabbed yesterday with the Pfizer vaccine [here in Shropshire]

Also, chap below is only 43 and looks like he's been jabbed too.
39187460-0-MORPH_was_jabbed_against_Covid_yesterday_His_co_creator_Peter_Lo-m-18_1613082252688.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeh. There's about 25m over 50s in the UK, so a total of 50m jabs. As they've done about 14m so far that leaves 36m, which would be an average of 333K per day (assuming 7 days per week) between now and end of May, so they're certainly on course to meet this and will do it in the first week of May if the current rate is kept up.

I think the hope is that that 333k per day figure is very much a minimum, supply is expected to drastically improve into March and April and the capacity appears to be there to accelerate a fair way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great news, but I think you’ll find that widespread vaccination is working.

Not the thread for it but it's almost certainly both, mostly lockdown but with vaccinations beginning to take on more and more of the heavy lifting in the coming weeks and months.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the hope is that that 333k per day figure is very much a minimum, supply is expected to drastically improve into March and April and the capacity appears to be there to accelerate a fair way.

It's already 390k (based on the last 7 days) :)

Meanwhile from the Beeb just now :

BREAKING

UK R number below 1 for first time since July

The reproduction number - or R value - of coronavirus transmission across the UK has fallen below 1 for the first time since July, and is now between 0.7 and 0.9, according to the latest government figures.

Last week, the R - the average number of people an infected person infects - was between 0.7 and 1.

When the R is above 1, an outbreak can grow exponentially, but when it is below 1 it means the epidemic is shrinking.

An R number between 0.7 and 0.9 means that, on average, every 10 people infected will infect between seven and nine other people.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was recently announced that the target was for those over 50 to be vaccinated by May, but if we are already starting to vaccinate the over-60s in mid-February, that suggests those in their 50s will be vaccinated well before May, surely?

There has got to be a slow down soon though when those who had their first jab are due their second as that will reduce massively those who can get their first.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There has got to be a slow down soon though when those who had their first jab are due their second as that will reduce massively those who can get their first.

Sure it'll slow down a bit, but it's being compensated for to some degree by the process speeding up significantly, and capacity continuing to increase - more centres, bigger centres, extending hours. Suspect it won't be massive.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sure it'll slow down a bit, but it's being compensated for to some degree by the process speeding up significantly, and capacity continuing to increase - more centres, bigger centres, extending hours. Suspect it won't be massive.

I read somewhere that they were hoping to stockpile for second doses. Also the one shot comes on line next month I believe

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Great news, but I think you’ll find that widespread vaccination is working.

The numbers have been dropping at a similar rate weekly since mid Jan, when there was a very small number of people vaccinated and even smaller number with significant immunity, the R rate drop is to date at least almost whollym down to lockdown, although we should begin to see the effects of vaccinations on the R rate starting to kick in now which will hopefully further drop the R rate until schools reopen in March.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The numbers have been dropping at a similar rate weekly since mid Jan, when there was a very small number of people vaccinated and even smaller number with significant immunity, the R rate drop is to date at least almost whollym down to lockdown, although we should begin to see the effects of vaccinations on the R rate starting to kick in now which will hopefully further drop the R rate until schools reopen in March.

Yep - there will be an intersection point in the graphs that we won't know about yet because we haven't reached it, when the effects of lockdown get superceded by the effects of the vaccine. It's not one or the other - we absolutely needed lockdown until we were able to protect a good number (and certainly all of the most vulnerable). We're now getting closer to reaching that point, and then we can start relaxing restrictions. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter by the day.

Essentially lockdown will get the key numbers right down, and the vaccine will keep them there.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's already 390k (based on the last 7 days) :)

Meanwhile from the Beeb just now :

BREAKING

UK R number below 1 for first time since July

The reproduction number - or R value - of coronavirus transmission across the UK has fallen below 1 for the first time since July, and is now between 0.7 and 0.9, according to the latest government figures.

Last week, the R - the average number of people an infected person infects - was between 0.7 and 1.

When the R is above 1, an outbreak can grow exponentially, but when it is below 1 it means the epidemic is shrinking.

An R number between 0.7 and 0.9 means that, on average, every 10 people infected will infect between seven and nine other people.
Regardless of what the R rate is, the numbers will always grow or shrink exponentially. Exponential means the result is the last number raised by an exponent, or power, and R is the exponent. It isn't, as a lot of journalists and ministers appear to believe, another word for "big" or "fast".

How can the R rate have been above 1 since July? If it has then the number of infections must by definition has been increasing since July. If the R rate for the last month, until now, has been that every person infects more than one person, how come the numbers of infections have been dropping?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The good news is also that with every jab going into an arm, we are driving the R rate down further and further every day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Regardless of what the R rate is, the numbers will always grow or shrink exponentially. Exponential means the result is the last number raised by an exponent, or power, and R is the exponent. It isn't, as a lot of journalists and ministers appear to believe, another word for "big" or "fast".

How can the R rate have been above 1 since July? If it has then the number of infections must by definition has been increasing since July. If the R rate for the last month, until now, has been that every person infects more than one person, how come the numbers of infections have been dropping?

Suggest you email the BBC, not this thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Data update :

Positive tests - 15,144 - rolling 7 day number down 26.3%
Admissions - 1,908 - rolling 7 day number down 24.7%
Deaths - 758 - rolling 7 days number down 27.1% (first time deaths has shown the largest % 7 day drop of the three key numbers)
Vaccinations - 503,116 first jabs, up over 20k on last Friday's number. Total now 14,012,224

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
[TWEET]1360211937720680449[/TWEET]

That's a fantastic headline, but potentially even more fantastic than that is the stat hidden in the less prominent line above. Only 544 infections, mostly mild, amidst over half a million vaccinated people. Whilst there may be a few asymptomatic cases (which might otherwise have been fatal, nonetheless) not being picked up, that's surely a great sign that vaccination stems transmission.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here