Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A new low for cases set against what must be close to a high for daily tests. I know there’s a lot of mystery shrouded in those test numbers, but by far the lowest positive test % since testing began in this country.

Wow.

One positive test for every 437.6 negative ones. :) F*** you Covid 19

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So do people think we’ll ‘need’ the vaccine or are we gonna kill it ourselves...? Obviously in the long run the world needs it etc...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So do people think we’ll ‘need’ the vaccine or are we gonna kill it ourselves...? Obviously in the long run the world needs it etc...

Interesting question but probably One for the sub forum I think...I’d be interested to see the replies you get

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
First weekday (figures announced on Tuesday to Saturday) that has seen less than 100 deaths since March 21st (which was a Saturday so figures were for Friday March 20th).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

If you want the virus to be minimised, a vaccine is the way to do it. There's little sign that it's going away, I'm afraid.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wrong thread.

That might be the case, but a question was posed in this thread, and I responded to it, not knowing how to transport that response into another thread. I appreciate the rationale for this thread, but the fact that there have been two responses admonishing what is an accurate, simply stated reply to a question is somewhat odd. Should I just have ignored the question, or gave an alternative medicine-type response, because they seem like the only other available options.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Genuine question, how did we control MERS and SARS so successfully?

They were far less infectious. The countries initially affected did a great job tracking and isolating people. Those diseases are also more deadly which can alter the speed with which the virus spreads, this also aided their control.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
MERS and SARS are very different viruses to CV19. Both are more potent and this means that their reproduction rates are far lower than CV19.
When MERS and SARS are contagious the person passing them on is in a bad way. Coughing and spluttering, so people tend to avoid them, and they are not really fit enough to go out anyway.

With Covid19 people can pass it on without even knowing they have it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Air Bridges finally being announced today and FCO advice changing, good news to any of us that want to escape for a week over the summer, stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

saulth

May 28, 2020
Interesting article in Dutch lenguage (I speak a bit of Dutch). Sjaak de Gouw, director of public health in the Netherlands, says that Covid-19 is less severe than they initially thought. Many Dutch people have had the new coronavirus without having any symptoms.

The previous assumption was that 20% of people infected with Covid-19 ended up in hospital. This now appears to be 3.5% of corona patients.

https://www.nieuws365.be/news/18388/opvallende-conclusie-het-coronavirus-is-minder-erg-dan-gedacht

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
NHS England announce 38 more deaths today, down from 67 last Friday.

38 deaths from 17 dates, so very very low.

Last edited:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
NHS England announce 38 more deaths today, down from 67 last Friday.

38 deaths from 17 dates, so very very low.

When you see figures as small as that you have to ask yourself if this scare mongering should be toned down a bit now ? I mean how many people die a day in construction or food poisoning, gastric enteritis or normal flu bought on by old age...or the biggest killer RTAs.

The depression and stress this is causing must now be killing more than the disease its self.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When you see figures as small as that you have to ask yourself if this scare mongering should be toned down a bit now ? I mean how many people die a day in construction or food poisoning, gastric enteritis or normal flu bought on by old age...or the biggest killer RTAs.

The depression and stress this is causing must now be killing more than the disease its self.

Whilst not ignoring the death rate I’d like to see more emphasis on the infection/hospitalisation route and then that broken down onto age ranges

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here